1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 May '06 19:36
    At what point should a player resign?

How much material should a player lose before he resigns?

I've got a couple of games going now where I'm up a Queen for a Rook. The only thing that has happened is that my opponents have started to move slower.

I've got a tournament game where I'm up two knights in the first 8 moves.

Earlier, in another Tournament, a lower rated player kept plugging away down 2 rooks and a Queen.

When do you think someone should resign?

I guess I can see trying to fight on down a minor piece, but isn't it good chess etiquette to resign if you go down a Rook or a Queen without any real prospects?
  2. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    21 May '06 19:44
    Originally posted by Red Night

I've got a couple of games going now where I'm up a Queen for a Rook. The only thing that has happened is that my opponents have started to move slower.

Earlier, in another ...[text shortened]... good chess etiquette to resign if you go down a Rook or a Queen without any real prospects?
    Déja vue? Game 1996056
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 May '06 19:501 edit
    Resign whenever the mood takes you...

Game 2020871 a PAWN!! you LOST A PAWN!, better resign

Game 1844056 ok...he's up a peice but he's a moron, things are equal....oh...2 peices now...bugger
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:041 edit
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    Déja vue? Game 1996056
    He and were talking and I made all of those last dozen moves in the course of half an hour.

I would have resigned earlier, but I was enjoying our conversation.

Also, if you look at the line, I was pretty much just throwing away my pieces.

However; you may have a point.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:18

Earlier, in another ...[text shortened]... good chess etiquette to resign if you go down a Rook or a Queen without any real prospects?

Whenever he feels like it.

However much he feels like losing before he resigns.

There is no etiquette that says you "should" resign any time.
  6. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:32
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    Resign whenever the mood takes you...

Game 2020871 a PAWN!! you LOST A PAWN!, better resign

Game 1844056 ok...he's up a peice but he's a moron, things are equal....oh...2 peices now...bugger
    In game one you lose a pawn and resign. I did not look at the game that closely, but I didn't see that it was lost.

In game 2, you blundered away your Queen and came back to win. Good for you! I guess that's an argument against resigning.
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]At what point should a player resign?

Whenever he feels like it.

However much he feels like losing before he resigns.

There is no etiquette that says you "should" resign any time.[/b]
    I hope I never have to play you!
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:35
    I hope I do play you sometime. You don't have the balls to fight to the end.
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:41
    I hope I do play you sometime. You don't have the balls to fight to the end.
    I think your picture speaks for itself.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:42
    I think your picture speaks for itself.
    I am quite handsome and stylish, aren't I?
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:46
    I am quite handsome and stylish, aren't I?
    What exactly is that?

It looks like a jackass in a party hat.

Oh, by the way: explain this one Mr. Never surrender, never give up.Game 1731319

Your only down a Queen.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:47
    Every time this topic comes up I give the same answer (in fact I'm saving a copy on my computer for the next occasion it comes up). A player should resign when they have nothing to gain from continuing the game. This could be the slight possibility of a draw or learning something by watching a stronger player exploit an advantage. Once that point is reached they should resign.

Of course only the player himself knows when this point is reached. Anyone calling for someone else to resign is stupid as a player is always within their rights to continue playing the game. In fact if someone was to ask me to resign (either through ingame messages or the much more vulgar public thread) I would feel that I had something to gain by taking as much time as possible for each and every move and playing to the bitter end.

I gain the satifaction of frustrating a player who has shown themselves to be completely bereft of class.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:53
    In game one you lose a pawn and resign. I did not look at the game that closely, but I didn't see that it was lost.

In game 2, you blundered away your Queen and came back to win. Good for you! I guess that's an argument against resigning.
    In Game 1 - I wasn't in the mood to play and simply couldn't be bothered to carry on.

In game 2 - I WAS THE ONE WHO RESIGNED....I blundered on move 20, I don't lose queens in openings for christ sake!
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:56
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Every time this topic comes up I give the same answer (in fact I'm saving a copy on my computer for the next occasion it comes up). A player should resign when they have nothing to gain from continuing the game. This could be the slight possibility of a draw or learning something by watching a stronger player exploit an advantage. Once that point is reache ...[text shortened]... satifaction of frustrating a player who has shown themselves to be completely bereft of class.
    Good points Xanthos. I certainly didn't mean to publically ask anyone to resign. Or belittle someone.

I think I was broaching a broader topic.

In any event it seems to me to be bereft of class to put the brakes on a game that you are losing and move every 3rd or 7th or 14th day.

But, obviously, judging from the responses, I am wrong on this topic. Apparently, there is no etiquette in correspondence chess.

Reminds me of that short story about a correspondence game gone awry by Woody Allen.

Also, isn't it just possible that the satisfaction you gain from frustrating a player who is beating you is due more to the fact that you are losing in the first place than to your perception that they lack class?
  15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 May '06 20:59
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    In Game 1 - I wasn't in the mood to play and simply couldn't be bothered to carry on.

In game 2 - I WAS THE ONE WHO RESIGNED....I blundered on move 20, I don't lose queens in openings for christ sake!
    Oh sorry, I played through it quickly.

So you lost your Queen in the middle game?

Honestly, in my mind, when your opponent lost his or her Queen, they should have resigned. But they didn't and were rewarded, in a way.

I've thrown three games away that I had won. It stinks. The fact that it happens is an argument for playing on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree