1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 May '06 01:38
    Originally posted by wormwood
    opening moves are usually blitzed, when the game falls out of book or reach a critical move, it'll more often than not slow down considerably. it would be stupid to move fast when in trouble.

if you're not happy with the time controls you've agreed when starting the game, it's your problem, not your opponent's. next time choose faster time controls.

I ...[text shortened]... tions thoroughly, within the time granted by the chosen time controls.

say no to blitz!
    No one is saying you shouldn't take your time to find the move you want to play.

No one is telling you that you can't attempt to use the clock as a psychological weapon.

The thread started with an open question: When SHOULD you resign.

I contend that you should resign when you would expect the other person to resign. In my mind it is common courteousy. I have also suggested that dragging the game out just to spite the person you are playing probably does the loser more harm than good!
  2. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 May '06 01:39
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't think it's a malicious and intentional thing. It's just a psychological phenomenon; people don't like to focus on games where they're losing. It's not as fun. You can see something similar in the MD2 and NE games (non chess games that some of us on RHP are playing; historical play by e-mail diplomacy/war games). Rob only updates the map where ...[text shortened]... /or move to a site where the games aren't intended to be played one move per 2-3 days...
    That's a fine looking good Sir and such a spiffy hat!
  3. Joined
    15 May '06
    Moves
    24 May '06 02:22
    I'd say if you can see a definate inescapable mate, you might be ok with resigning. Otherwise it's merely cowardise. Though, resigning in and of itself is cowardly, sometimes it's good to actually see the mate.

If you're merely down a piece or two, but not definitively lost(as in checkmate is not in sight), keep fighting and play better. Of course no one is ever under an obligation to resign.
  4. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 May '06 03:18
    Originally posted by Noontidal
    I'd say if you can see a definate inescapable mate, you might be ok with resigning. Otherwise it's merely cowardise. Though, resigning in and of itself is cowardly, sometimes it's good to actually see the mate.

If you're merely down a piece or two, but not definitively lost(as in checkmate is not in sight), keep fighting and play better. Of course no one is ever under an obligation to resign.
    cowardice to resign.......lol, we are not defending our country against the invading communist hordes on this site, lol

It is just good manners to resign a game where there is nothing to be won for you anymore. If you don't you have to prepare to play some of those 5 knights games like i posted here before. At the moment i am preparing a 7 knights game 😀 I Will post it when i get there. At this game i am a rook and 5 pawns up against a bishop and 2 pawns. And you think it is still a good idea to play along??? I have been up in games by a queen and 5 pawns against just his king, and you still think there is a reason to play on.

Playing on in those situations is does not mean you are showing your 'bravery' it is just showing stupidity. It is showing that you have no idea when a game is lost or that you have no idea when it is time to give in.

Is it not better to give up and live to fight another day instead of fighting untill death like you seem to prefer because people might think you are a coward....

Anyways, you just keep on playing untill you can't play no more and if you ever get into a situation like that with me i will show you why it is foolish to keep on playing on in a hopeless postition. It is still a dream of mine to break the 500 moves 😀
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '06 03:40

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 May '06 03:451 edit
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    send me a game if you wish! you can try for checkmate by horseys. i will go for 4 rooks to put you in jail, and make your dream come true.

i am keen and ready to play this duel.😀
    Sure 🙂

Why not, would you like to play white or black?

We will play a game to the death, resigning not allowed, lol, and we are only allowed to eat red meat and drink beer while playing this game 😀

edit: I send you a game, gave you white in it with 3/7 controls. Let me know if you prefer to play black and we'll delete it and start over again.
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 May '06 04:04

There is a reason that good players resign games that are lost.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '06 04:051 edit

9. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 May '06 04:15
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    lol, i just may need the biggest timebank. anything else i'm fine with. i'll cancel that one and then select whatever you wish, with the 28 day timebank. 😀 let's duel 😀
    ok, send one again, 21/28 that is the longest i could make it, lol

let the Game of Death (Extended version) begin 😉

Maybe that is a good idea for a tournament. Resigning and offering a draw not allowed, lol
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    24 May '06 04:181 edit
    Originally posted by Red Night
    There is a reason that good players resign games that are lost.
    Yes; they know it's lost in the face of good opposition and they know their opposition is good. On this site you can't necessarily assume either. These players don't resign out of etiquette; they resign because there is nothing in it for them to continue.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    24 May '06 04:19
    Originally posted by Red Night
    That's a fine looking good Sir and such a spiffy hat!
    Why thank you! Someday, if you work at it, you too may have the chance to wear a hat like mine.
  12. Joined
    15 May '06
    Moves
    24 May '06 08:09
    Depends on the situation and the person. At least wait until you can see the mate though, any resignation prior to that is premature. Although if a person wants to play to the last move, there isn't an ounce of decency in doing so as opposed to resigning. However, it is rude to unduly delay a game that you're losing.

In RL games I find most people enjoy sealing the mate regardless of their rank, or skill.
  13. Joined
    04 May '06
    Moves
    24 May '06 13:491 edit
    The point is still being missed. I think Red (and I) are talking about when a game is really over - opponent down several pieces and no chance of winning unless there is a SERIOUS blunder - then the moves go down to one every couple of days. Yes, they have every right to keep playing, but all I'm saying is that it can be frustrating. And no, I'm not here to play blitz chess either - I am at work after all..lol...

oops, posted this before I refreshed the page - didn't see all the new comments......
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '06 14:03

15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 May '06 16:25
    Depends on the situation and the person. At least wait until you can see the mate though, any resignation prior to that is premature. Although if a person wants to play to the last move, there isn't an ounce of decency in doing so as opposed to resigning. However, it is rude to unduly delay a game that you're losing.

In RL games I find most people enjoy sealing the mate regardless of their rank, or skill.
    If we get to the point where mate is in sight, go ahead play it out. I love to mate people.

However, if you go down three pieces with no counter play and you keep slowily grinding away, what you are saying to me is this:

"I believe that you are such a lousy player that I can overcome a three piece deficit with my remaining two rooks."

That's insulting no matter what kind of spin some of you try to put on it.

Now, if you can back up the insult and actually beat me good for you. The only way I see it happening is if you already have a pretty fierce attack at the time you go down the material.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree