1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 May '06 03:43
    Red Night,
    That does sound like a point which may cause tension.
  2. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    22 May '06 03:551 edit
    Nobody needs to resign and all are welcome to play on as long as they feel like they are still having enough fun in the match as they want from it, or even beyong that point 🙂

You should be prepared though that sometimes you will be playing out a game like this (Game 2070266)

Please be careful with talking about the game since it is still in progress and i could still give away a draw to this person if i am not carefull enough 🙂
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 May '06 05:20
    Holy Hilarity Batman!
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 May '06 07:53
    I wonder if 3 Knights and a King are enough to force mate.
  5. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    22 May '06 08:17
    yes. Just avoid stalemates.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 May '06 10:19
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Honestly, in my mind, when your opponent lost his or her Queen, they should have resigned.
    here I lose my queen, and resign prematurely because of it.

Game 1820133
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    22 May '06 12:59
    In the posted game that RedNight and I played, he offered to resign if I wished, but we were having a nice conversation and he ended the game when the conversation did.

One thing I would like to point out is that while I resign when I feel I have a lost game, lossing 1 minor piece does not always equal a lost game, in fact sometimes I put way way more analysis into a game when I do foolishly drop a piece.... Game 1981030
  8. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    22 May '06 15:34
    As Xanthos (?) said, you should never resign a game unless, without a shadow of a doubt, it is going to become a loss or there is nothing to gain whatsoever. I will take into account opponent's ability to help this decision so I will battle on against a less experienced player to try and get something about it. A game of chess can be 'won' early on but a couple of wrong moves could turn it into a loss or a draw such is the nature of the game.

A while back I was a pwan or two down against a higher ranked player which normally I would resign, but I wanted to see how he'd finish the game off. I told him this and moved at my normal pace. The game was lost but I had something to gain, knowledge. On the flipside, I was down a Queen against a player ranked much lower, he fell into a trap, I got the queen back and won, that was a 'lost' game and if I had resigned it would have been lost.
  9. Corvallis, Oregon
    Moves
    22 May '06 15:56
    This is a silly topic. If you want to continue to earnestly play the game, to fight on hoping for a blunder, play for a draw, or to really make your opponent work for checkmate, then fine, that is totally your right, and your overall game will be better for it. I wouldn't expect less of my opponents.

Would a boxer, down on points in the 7th round but otherwise healthy, throw in the towel? Rarely, and not if he thought there was something to gain (experience, a chance for a blunder) by fighting on. And his opponent would never fault him for it. The burden is on the winner to finish it.

If a person starts making half hearted moves at the lowest possible frequency, then finish them off and don't play them again.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 May '06 16:19
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    If a beginner can beat you up enough to get you to this point he deserves the courtesy of a resignation from you.

Thanks for your apology saffa.
    playing chess is not for someone to beat you "up to this point", it's for them to checkmate your king.

If you can draw with someone why would you resign?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '06 16:441 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    22 May '06 17:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I wonder if 3 Knights and a King are enough to force mate.
    It should be enough but i do not trust my endgames well enough to try that one in a game and i would really make a fool of myself trading everything off down to 3 knights and then give away a draw, lol

btw. game is finished by now, lol
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '06 17:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '06 17:321 edit
    Really crappy n00b players should never resign against each other, make your opponent win. Strong players should resign when they lose a piece and there's no hope in sight with normal play.
  15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    22 May '06 17:51
    Originally posted by wormwood
    here I lose my queen, and resign prematurely because of it.

Game 1820133
    If i follow the game correctly, you are actually down a Q and a Bishop for two Rooks and a Pawn. And you have some counter play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree