1. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 20:071 edit
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I think in this example I prefer White after 1. g4! He's opening the g-file for his rook(s), and Black's king and pieces look a bit uncoordinated to defend against this. 1...d3? is obviously met by 2. Rxd3, and Black would be much worse after 1...fxg4, so he probably has to allow 2. gxf5 gxf5 followed by either 3. Qh5 or 3. Rg1+, both of which are probably going to hurt a little bit.
    I am looking at 1. g4 too, mainly to stop Black from playing 1. ... Kf7 to cover the Rook and indeed play d3. Now g4 looks pretty powerful as 1. ... fxg4 2. Qxg4 Kf7 3. f5 is looking mighty good.

Also it must be added that there is no other idea White can play on. If he sits around doing nothing those central Black pawns will inevitably prove lethal I believe.
  2. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 20:31
    I think whites best chance is to attack on the other wing and sac a pawn with b6.
  3. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 22:121 edit
    maybe I'd play Nb3 instead.

* sorry had an optical illusion there! ~
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 22:181 edit
    Actually !~TONY~! and heinzkat are right. Position in diagram is after 36th move in Bronstein-Petrosian, 1978, USSR. Bronstein played 37.g4 which was his only chance to get more space for his heavy pieces. If he would stall then Black would have at least no worse position. Petrosian had to resign after few moves. Here is whole game:
  5. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 22:21
    Next position to evaluate.

Black to move.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 22:36
    Originally posted by Korch
    Actually !~TONY~! and heinzkat are right. Position in diagram is after 36th move in Bronstein-Petrosian, 1978, USSR. Bronstein played 37.g4 which was his only chance to get more space for his heavy pieces. If he would stall then Black would have at least no worse position. Petrosian had to resign after few moves. Here is whole game:
    [pgn]
    [Event "USSR"]
    [Si ...[text shortened]... e4 37. g4
    Qd8 38. gxf5 gxf5 39. Qh5 Qf8 40. Ra2 d3 41. Rg2+ 1-0
    [/pgn]
    so I guess the games are from the "petrosian-like exchange sacrifice", right? are these from the my predecessors volume about petrosian?
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 22:40
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    so I guess the games are from the "petrosian-like exchange sacrifice", right? are these from the my predecessors volume about petrosian?
    First game yes. Second game was from "The Sorcerer’s Apprentice" by Bronstein and Fürstenberg.
  8. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 22:43
    I guess thats why you're all 3/600 points ahead of me! Heyho.

g5 to try and trap the bishop or d4 maybe? truth be told I don't know, I probably try to develop the knight, or protect the pawn.
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 22:58
    Originally posted by jonrothwell
    I guess thats why you're all 3/600 points ahead of me! Heyho.

g5 to try and trap the bishop or d4 maybe? truth be told I don't know, I probably try to develop the knight, or protect the pawn.
    Try to evaluate first and only then search the best moves.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 23:023 edits
    Next position to evaluate.
    [fen]r2qnrk1/pb2b1pp/1p6/2ppPp2/5B2/2NBP3/PPQ2PPP/2R2RK1 b - - 0 14[/fen]
    Black to move.
    I think the main question here is whether to grab the pawn or not, and I think white should do it, it also has dangerous threats against the h pawn. I don't see any tricks with 1...d4 2.Ne2, or maybe even 2.Bxh6 and then Ne2. and I would evaluate this position as better for white.

edit:
    sorry I thought it was white to move. for black to move, 1...g4 would actually trap the white bishop, but after 1...g4? 2.Bg3 f4? 3.Bxh7 Kh8 4.Qg6! fxg3? 5.Qh6, white would mate inevitably. so that plan doesn't work.

I looked at 1...Bc1 to protect the pawn, but that fails to 2.Nxd5 Qxd5 3.Bc4, picking up the queen.

1...g6 would be too risky, allowing white have dangerous space with the dark squares, including the ones that the pawn controls.

So I would play 1...Qd7 in this position, with the plan of Nc7 and Ne6, blocking the pawn, and later placing rooks behind the center pawns.

my evaluation would be the position is roughly equal.
  11. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 23:082 edits
    Thanks for the advice, trouble is I don't know what I'm supposed to be evaluating! I really should read that judgement and planning book I've got somewhere🙄

ok i'll have a go,
    I 'd say blacks king and centre are a little weak, if he can block the centre, with say Bc8/e6, develop with Nc7, Q, connect rooks and Bf8 he may be then able to mobilise his queenside pawn majority. So I would play Bc8.
  12. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 23:26
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I think the main question here is whether to grab the pawn or not, and I think white should do it, it also has dangerous threats against the h pawn. I don't see any tricks with 1...d4 2.Ne2, or maybe even 2.Bxh6 and then Ne2. and I would evaluate this position as better for white.

edit:
    sorry I thought it was white to move. for black to move, 1...g4 w ...[text shortened]... h the plan of Nc7 and Ne6, blocking the pawn, and later placing rooks behind the center pawns.
    It's black's move!
  13. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 23:29
    Originally posted by jonrothwell
    Thanks for the advice, trouble is I don't know what I'm supposed to be evaluating! I really should read that judgement and planning book I've got somewhere🙄

ok i'll have a go,
    I 'd say blacks king and centre are a little weak, if he can block the centre, with say Bc8/e6, develop with Nc7, Q, connect rooks and Bf8 he may be then able to mobilise his queenside pawn majority. So I would play Bc8.
    ...Bc8-e6 would be nice, but it allows Nxd5 immediately (when ...Qxd5 loses to Bc4).

I would like Black's position if i could have 2 moves in a row! failing that, ...g6 followed by trying to get the knight to e6 even at the cost of an exchange (e.g. after Bh6).

...g5 is just too horrible to contemplate!
  14. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 23:35
    Originally posted by streetfighter
    ...Bc8-e6 would be nice, but it allows Nxd5 immediately (when ...Qxd5 loses to Bc4).

I would like Black's position if i could have 2 moves in a row! failing that, ...g6 followed by trying to get the knight to e6 even at the cost of an exchange (e.g. after Bh6).

...g5 is just too horrible to contemplate!
    I hate you stronger players, so smug😉 Only kidding, I give up, am going back to being a blissfully unaware 1500 and not caring a jot.

Good night y'all.
  15. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 01:38
    White to move.[/b]
    Thank you for this thread Korch and thank you for all who responded. Really excellent! Rec'd.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree