1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 11:011 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Yes the evaluation is: "Black is hanging on to a draw (I mean, worse but not immediately losing) so let us find some feasible drawing plan."
    Do you make plans without taking into account possible opponent`s plans?

If you can find useful plan of defense for Black (for example where they could save in that game) feel free to show it - as after plan provided by White Black are absolutely hopeless. Positions in which one side has clear plan how to win I would evaluate as winning for one side and lost for other side.
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 11:04
    Next position to evaluate:

White to move.
  3. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 11:132 edits
    White is a pawn down but compensation lies in Black's limited possibilities and Black's (extra) pawn on d5 is not worth that much. I would continue with the plan Ne2-Nf4. White has the slightly better position. And yes I just play moves hoping my opponent does not rip me apart in the meantime... 🙂))
  4. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 21:05
    A nice thread Korch, but not many takers for the last two positions. While black is a pawn up, white has the better position. The black d5 pawn is isolated and needs to be constantly defended. The queen is undeveloped. The bishop is inactive and tied to defensewhile the white knight is free to move. The big weakness in the black position is the advanced kingside pawns and no activity.
    White's position is secure with the advantage that it holds the open e file, can mobilise the knight and the queen is well developed and exerting pressure on both e5 and f6. The game is there for white to win - the obvious target being the pawns defending the king.
    I like the idea of ne2 followed by nf4, adding to the pressure.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 22:462 edits
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    A nice thread Korch, but not many takers for the last two positions. While black is a pawn up, white has the better position. The black d5 pawn is isolated and needs to be constantly defended. The queen is undeveloped. The bishop is inactive and tied to defensewhile the white knight is free to move. The big weakness in the black position is the advanced the pawns defending the king.
    I like the idea of ne2 followed by nf4, adding to the pressure.
    Hmm, so 1.Ne2 Re8 2.Nf4! looks bad - Black cannot exchange, and Q is still stuck watching f6.

Maybe 1.Ne2 Qb6!? - desperation - and hope that 2.Re7+ is not a haymaker.
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 23:09
    Right you are guys - after Ne2-f4 Black are in serious trouble.

Here is my annotation of that game - hope that you gave your answers by your own 🙂

http://korch.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-to-beat-stronger-opponent.html
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 20:41
    Next position to evaluate

White to move.
  8. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 20:42
    A Sicilian gone wrong? The major thing that stands out for me is the black queen placement and the ability of white to quickly mobilise forces on the King-side while the black queen can only look on. In effect, White has a Queen advantage on the King-side. As white, I like the half-open f-file and the well connected knights, while the bishop is eyeing the h7 pawn.
    Black is terribly out of shape - the knights have no space to manoeuvre, while the bishop can also only go backwards. Same with the Queen.
    It's a game for white to win. I'd start with stripping the black king of its defences while occupying the important e4 square with the intention of swopping off the f6 knight. 1. nc3 - e4
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 20:44
    A Sicilian gone wrong? The major thing that stands out for me is the black queen placement and the ability of white to quickly mobilise forces on the King-side while the black queen can only look on. In effect, White has a Queen advantage on the King-side. As white, I like the half-open f-file and the well connected knights, while the bishop is eyeing th ...[text shortened]... ccupying the important e4 square with the intention of swopping off the f6 knight. 1. nc3 - e4
    While you're at it why not just throw in the Rook because we like it (1. Rxf6)
  10. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 19:281 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    While you're at it why not just throw in the Rook because we like it (1. Rxf6)
    That may be better. It leads to this position with the intention of occupying the f5 square and isolating the king.

One thing this position can do is highlight for beginners the limited value of simple piece counts. Here, white has a significant material advantage in one half of the board where every one of his pieces can be mobilised in attack. But black has to defend without the aid of a queen and rook.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 19:341 edit
    Hmmm. If 1.Nce4 Nxe4 2.Bxe4 f5 and I don't see Black doing so badly on the Kingside.

Even in the 1.Rxf6 line, I'd like to know specifically how white stops ...f5. If he plays e4, he closes off his own bishop.
  12. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 19:55
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Hmmm. If 1.Nce4 Nxe4 2.Bxe4 f5 and I don't see Black doing so badly on the Kingside.

Even in the 1.Rxf6 line, I'd like to know specifically how white stops ...f5. If he plays e4, he closes off his own bishop.
    Not Bxe4. Rather 2. nxe4 f5 - but yes, it creates problems. I'm now inclined to think rxf6 is better - it pulls the teeth out of f5.
    But, remember the thread topic is to evaluate the position.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 20:43
    Not Bxe4. Rather 2. nxe4 f5 - but yes, it creates problems. I'm now inclined to think rxf6 is better - it pulls the teeth out of f5.
    But, remember the thread topic is to evaluate the position.
    Analysis is part of evaluating a position.

I am not yet sure 1.Rxf6 provides enough compensation, but I don't see any other good ideas to play on the Kingside.

I can see black giving up the f6 pawn even, just to trade some pieces, or slow white's attack. Mainly, he doesn't want a wN coming to f5 uncontested.
  14. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by Korch
    Next position to evaluate
    [fen]2r2rk1/1p1b1ppp/pq1p1nn1/3Pp3/1PP5/P1NBP2P/3NQ1PK/R4R2 w - - 0 18[/fen]
    White to move.
    At first sight its obvious that White have serious advantage - their pieces are more coordinated, they have e4 square and they can choose the plans - in which side to advance while Black lack coordination between their pieces in king side and queen side and they can`t afford any active plan as they are placed very passive. On the other side - Black dont have obvious weaknesses which complicates White`s task. so white need to find the way how to exploit displacement of black pieces and create weaknesses. 17.Rxf6! is the most effective way how to get absolute control over e4 and f5 squares white Black will have many weak squares in their kingside (+ d6 pawn which will need to be protected in center). After 17...gxf6 18.Nce4 Kg7 19.Ng3 Black are absolutely helpless to do something - as position is still closed (and Black are not able to open it) they will never be able to exploit their material advantage and they are cursed to passive defense. For example. 19...f5 does not solve their problem as after 20.Bxf5 Black would not solve anything - e4 and f5 are still in White control while Black lack any counter play. In the game Black played 19...Kh8 after which White could play 20.Nde4! - after 20...f5 21.Nf6 Qd8 (I hope no one will recommend such obviously horrible move as 21...Be8?) 22.Nxd7 Qxd7 23.Bxf5 White will get back their exchange and will keep their extra pawn+ positional pluses. So we can conclude that after 17.Rxf6! White has decisive positional advantage.

Here is the game:
  15. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 14:11

White to move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree