1. Joined
    13 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 04:29
    Some numbers from http://www.chessgames.com/

After 1. e4 white has a 37% win rate and the draw rate is 34%. Black wins only 29% of the time.

After 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 exd5 *black* wins 30% of the time, white a mere 26%, and fully 44% of games are drawn.
  2. warum?
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 11:52
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    can anyone find a GM game with this line?
    i don't know what sites to go to, and gogle always gives me a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with what I am looking for...
    too bad wikipedia doesn't offer a chess database by opening...
    Maurice Ashley used to play the exchange variation from the White side... you can check out his games at www.chesslab.com
  3. Joined
    14 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 11:56
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Let's play.

Edit: I tried to challenge rubberjaw, but my rating is to high for him.
    Diet Coke, your probably a great player...

But why should you always pretend that your better than everyone else?

Seriously, everyone starts somewhere, so give ppl a break.

I've only been playing a bit more than 2 months now and probably dont at all have the experiance you have, and I respect you for that.

Just respect those who want to learn.

Im not trying to start a feud here. Just wanted to point that out.
  4. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 04:32
    cmsMaster pretty much explains it in his post. Basically, when you go 3. exd5 exd5, your trading your e4 pawn for black's e6 pawn. Now black's problem bishop has a free game, and he has an equal share of the center. So less bite than the usual 3. e5 or 3. Nc3 variations, but still respectable.
  5. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 05:20
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    cmsMaster pretty much explains it in his post. Basically, when you go 3. exd5 exd5, your trading your e4 pawn for black's e6 pawn. Now black's problem bishop has a free game, and he has an equal share of the center. So less bite than the usual 3. e5 or 3. Nc3 variations, but still respectable.
    Exactly.
  6. London
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 10:05
    Kasparov played the French Exchange three times in serious games. He beat Salov and Kortchnoi, and drew against Short but should have won.
  7. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 10:07
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Kasparov played the French Exchange three times in serious games. He beat Salov and Kortchnoi, and drew against Short but should have won.
    The french refuted!

😛
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 13:46
    Kasparov also won with the Scotch and the Evans gambit. Openings which are not often considered good enough to win with at GM level. That is more of a credit to Kasparov than anything else. The point someone made about dynamism in the position is essential to understanding. Lacking that, neither player really has much chance to win. However, if there is a big enough difference in skill level, the better player will probably win regardless.
  9. London
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 14:06
    Originally posted by zebano
    Kasparov also won with the Scotch and the Evans gambit. Openings which are not often considered good enough to win with at GM level. That is more of a credit to Kasparov than anything else. The point someone made about dynamism in the position is essential to understanding. Lacking that, neither player really has much chance to win. However, if there is a big enough difference in skill level, the better player will probably win regardless.
    There are lots of non-dynamic openings that offer winning chances, eg the QGD.
  10. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 14:171 edit
    There are lots of non-dynamic openings that offer winning chances, eg the QGD.
    I don't think you understand what I mean by dynmics. Dynamics refers simply to short term imbalances. The QGD has them in spades, the only one offered by the french exchange is half a move.

Edit: Dynamics != Tactics.
  11. London
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 14:35
    Originally posted by zebano
    I don't think you understand what I mean by dynmics. Dynamics refers simply to short term imbalances. The QGD has them in spades, the only one offered by the french exchange is half a move.

Edit: Dynamics != Tactics.
    That's *not* what 'dynamics' means in chess terminology!
  12. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 16:46
    That's *not* what 'dynamics' means in chess terminology!
    != means 'not equal to"
  13. London
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 16:49
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    != means 'not equal to"
    I know.

So what?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 16:50
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    != means 'not equal to"
    yeah...
    but anyway...
    as far as i am concerned about this opening:
    it gains the measly half-move, and it also accomplishes getting black out of book french defense...
    which technically isn't an advantage...
    but it can be useful in OTB play...
  15. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 19:33
    I know.

So what?
    Sorry, I just thought that your objection to his post was thinking he meant tactics = dynamics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree