Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    15 Apr '08 19:29
    During my waiting for a password which I've lost I registered on the other CC site and I am playing some games. Now, I have one very nice KG game but situation is so complicated that every tempo is precious, so in that jungle here is the question :

    What do you do in that kind of extremely complicated situation when everything is hanging and one mistake is probably lethal ?

    Systematic blunder checking is a must but is that enough ? I am talking about kind of game where bad bishop doesn't make a difference and when your opponent is 1850 player who isn't kidding...

    So, you look at the board and... what ??
  2. 15 Apr '08 20:27
    calculate variations, thats the only thing that helps when the situation is so complicated, when everything is hanging.
  3. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    15 Apr '08 22:19
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    calculate variations, thats the only thing that helps when the situation is so complicated, when everything is hanging.
    Yes calculate, recalculate and then check it all again and when you think you have found the forced winning line you find (3 moves in) that you missed something. Schuks! Better luck next time. Of course if your persevere on the analysis making full use of the analysis board you may just calculate correctly 9 X out of 10.

    ... but if you don't or you cannot cope with it then the only answer is to avoid such sharp tactical games and go in for some closed strategic openings.
  4. 16 Apr '08 00:32 / 1 edit
    Just a practical advice: using a pgn editor to analyse that game (and save you analysis)would make a lot of difference than using the regular analysis board feature.
  5. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    16 Apr '08 00:38
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    Just a practical advice: using a pgn editor to analyse that game (and save you analysis)would make a lot of difference than using the regular analysis board feature.
    Yes, that is true... I have ChessPad I should use it more
  6. 16 Apr '08 00:39
    and one more tip: analyse just a few more moves than seems necessary.
  7. 16 Apr '08 00:56 / 2 edits
    Calculate again. For instance, in game
    Game 3945757

    Before making move 31 (g5) I calculated all the way through my 38th move and it seemed good enough to me. Clearly I should have looked 1 move further, especially considering that my king was so exposed for a double attack.

    Looking back I wonder why I thought it was good. I was afraid of c5 but I had some definate pressure that I was giving up....
  8. 16 Apr '08 02:22
    Originally posted by zebano
    Calculate again. For instance, in game
    Game 3945757

    Before making move 31 (g5) I calculated all the way through my 38th move and it seemed good enough to me. Clearly I should have looked 1 move further, especially considering that my king was so exposed for a double attack.

    Looking back I wonder why I thought it was good. I was afraid of c5 but I had some definate pressure that I was giving up....
    I only took a quick look but wouldn't 33. Rh3xh6 have been winning?