Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 11 May '06 05:46
    OK, the Stonewall Attack definitely lost the popularity contest. (I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me.) So just what opening IS your favorite -- as White? Personally, I like the Queen's Gambit.
  2. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    11 May '06 05:52
    For white, the only opening I'm solid in is the Italian. I like to use the English in blitz, but need to learn it more thuroughly before I try to apply it in any important game. Nf3 is fun to play too, lots of options.

For black, I don't for one. I don't have any specific lines. Just play what's there and what I'm comfortable with.
  3. Standard member onyx2006
    onyx2007
    11 May '06 09:19
    i like the queen's gambit and played it a lot, trying the reti recently and it's leading to some very interesting positions...
  4. 11 May '06 09:45
    King's Gambit or Evan's Gambit. I'm also happy to play any Open Sicilian as White.
  5. Standard member mipmcpt
    manchester clan
    11 May '06 10:04
    I really like the queens gambit as well,what do you like about it?

I also like the colle system!
  6. 11 May '06 12:39
    I'm all about the English. It's easy to learn and easy to play c4, Nc3, g3, Bg2 are almost always your first 4 moves. I love the kings gambit, but I just don't seem to attack well enough to play it against people of my own rating.
  7. Standard member Smiffy
    SPS CLAN
    11 May '06 12:42
    Kings gambit rules also i love sicilian
  8. 11 May '06 12:48
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. g3!!

I love it, mostly because Chessmaster 8000 (opening study-section) tells me it is a bad move...and because Josh Waitzkin has played it frequently.
  9. 11 May '06 12:57
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. g3!!

I love it, mostly because Chessmaster 8000 (opening study-section) tells me it is a bad move...and because Josh Waitzkin has played it frequently.
    Interesting! I take it you would look to follow up with something like Bg2, 0-0 and f4?
  10. 11 May '06 16:04
    ruy lopez as white, najdorf sicilian for e4 as black, and slav for d4 as black. Slav could change though because it hasn't been tested much.
  11. Standard member mipmcpt
    manchester clan
    11 May '06 17:13 / 1 edit
    i like queens gambit declined .its great!!
  12. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    11 May '06 19:33
    Originally posted by Positional Player
    King's Gambit or Evan's Gambit. I'm also happy to play any Open Sicilian as White.
    Does anyone else see the irony in using Positional Player as your screen name and then saying your favorite openings are the Evan's Gambit and the King's Gambit.

I like the Najdorf and the Nimzo/Queens Indian as black.

I've started playing the Cambridge Springs again as well.

I play both d4 and e4 but generally prefer d4.

I've tried to play the Evans Gambit, but no one has let me. At some point I'd like to try the Muzio/Polerio. I think it would be fun to play both of these.

I got to play the Wilkes Barre against an opponent. I was thrilled to play it against someone. I would never have had the chance in OTB tournaments.
  13. 11 May '06 19:43
    I like this opening:

1. e4...
    2. Nf3...
    3. D4...

Does anyone know what this is called, if it has a name at all??
    (It probably does.)
  14. 11 May '06 21:14
    As white, I love to play the English
    Against d4 I play the King's Indian
    Against e4 I like the Caro-Kann
    Actually, all three of these are quite different, but they keep me interested and don't get boring because of that. Plus I get to see all kinds of different positions.
  15. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    11 May '06 22:32
    Queen's Gambit for white.

King's Indian defense for black.