Favourite chess book?

Favourite chess book?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
15 Nov 07

Originally posted by Mad Rook
"...while several tournament books were my steady fare--San Antonio 1972..."

The Church's Fried Chicken tournament! That's one of the most humorous tournament sponsor names I've heard of. 🙂

"Renaud and Kahn, The Art of the Checkmate taught me much about what I thought I already knew (and didn't), and has an enormous effect on how I teach chess ...[text shortened]... ces don't say diddly squat to me. I guess I still have a long way to go... (sigh)
Read Silman's book and you will begin to understand the pieces' language 😛

London

Moves
15 Nov 07

The pieces don't say diddly squat to me. I guess I still have a long way to go... (sigh)[/b]
Have a little pep talk before you begin...get them in the right frame of mind. Show trust in them by asking how they feel about a position or a prospective move. Listen carefully to what they say and try to encourage them to work as a team. Reserve the greatest reverence for those who are willing to pay the ultimate price and sacrifice them selves for the benefit of all whilst gently dissuading them from throwing themselves under the nearest pawn for no compensation.

I leave to you to decide how you treat the captured opponents pieces...torturing them to reveal secret plans may or may not work.

MR

Moves
15 Nov 07

Originally posted by Leaadas
Read Silman's book and you will begin to understand the pieces' language 😛
One of these days, one of these days...

I might read The Amateur's Mind soon. I'm sure I'm not ready for Reassess Your Chess yet.

MR

Moves
15 Nov 07

Originally posted by Mahout
I leave to you to decide how you treat the captured opponents pieces...torturing them to reveal secret plans may or may not work.
First, I need to decide whether the captured opponent's pieces are covered by the rules of the Geneva Convention.

g

Moves
15 Nov 07

First, I need to decide whether the captured opponent's pieces are covered by the rules of the Geneva Convention.
Funny!!!

W
Angler

River City

Moves
16 Nov 07

I always put one in isolation behind the clock. So far the lawyers have not given me trouble about this practice. Many, kids, however, will relocate this prisoner among the other captives, usually in company with the captives from both armies.

Moves
16 Nov 07

The Middle Game by Euwe and Kramer.

L

Moves
16 Nov 07

technically the captured pieces aren't "prisoners of war" since they don't belong to an army, so let's call them "enemy combatants". And they sure aren't legal citizens. So the geneva convention or habeus corpus don't apply. I don't necessarily torture them because dunking their heads in water until they are almost about to drown isn't torture in my book.

f

Moves
16 Nov 07

Modern chess strategy by Ludek Pachman, or Elite training by Mark Dvoretzky, if you`re a stratgy man, these books are really going to help you.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
16 Nov 07

Originally posted by Leatherlung
technically the captured pieces aren't "prisoners of war" since they don't belong to an army, so let's call them "enemy combatants". And they sure aren't legal citizens. So the geneva convention or habeus corpus don't apply. I don't necessarily torture them because dunking their heads in water until they are almost about to drown isn't torture in my book.
If you dunk my wooden pieces, you will experience torture.

t

Moves
17 Nov 07

One of these days, one of these days...

I might read The Amateur's Mind soon. I'm sure I'm not ready for Reassess Your Chess yet.
I beleive that "The Amateur's mind" is more advance than "Reasess Your Chess" is.

S

Moves
17 Nov 07
1 edit

As mentioned before; Chernev's logical chess: move by move.
Inspirational!

I have the 2 Silman books & I find him rather pompous & the books rather dull, to be honest.

L

Moves
17 Nov 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
As mentioned before; Chernev's logical chess: move by move.
Inspirational!

I have the 2 Silman books & I find him rather pompous & the books rather dull, to be honest.
I agree they probably are a bit pompous... but honestly thats what i liked about them. Most other chess books I have read are so dry and hard to read. Whereas I enjoyed reading Silman's books because it wasn't like reading stereo instructions

MR

Moves
17 Nov 07

Originally posted by tomtom232
I beleive that "The Amateur's mind" is more advance than "Reasess Your Chess" is.
The following text is from Dan Heisman's web site:

Silman Book Reading Order

"My recommended order (though all stand alone):

1) Read Reassess Your Chess through page 52. Then put it away!
2) Read all of The Amateur's Mind.
3) Read the rest of How to Reassess Your Chess.
4) Read The Workbook.
And yes, you have to start people out with tactics and the basic mates else they will get shredded instantly.”
- IM Jeremy Silman in an e-mail to Dan, 11/16/2001.

t

Moves
17 Nov 07

The following text is from Dan Heisman's web site:

Silman Book Reading Order

"My recommended order (though all stand alone):

1) Read Reassess Your Chess through page 52. Then put it away!
2) Read all of The Amateur's Mind.
3) Read the rest of How to Reassess Your Chess.
4) Read The Workbook.
And yes, you have to start people out with tacti ...[text shortened]... else they will get shredded instantly.”
- IM Jeremy Silman in an e-mail to Dan, 11/16/2001.
Okay, that is why I said "I believe" what I said to be true. Thanx for the correction.