1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 18:18
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Okay, that is why I said "I believe" what I said to be true. Thanx for the correction.
    It wasn't really a correction, I was just relaying Silman's opinion on the best reading order. What does Silman know, anyway? 😉
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 18:201 edit
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    It wasn't really a correction, I was just relaying Silman's opinion on the best reading order. What does Silman know, anyway? 😉
    Silman huh

what does Silman know

Absolutely Nothing! 😀
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 23:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 23:21
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I've noticed a lot of books starting with "The Art of..." tend to get high marks from chess people (e.g., The Art of Attack, The Art of the Checkmate, etc.). I'm surprised that more chess book authors don't use titles along that line. (The Art of [fill in the blank]). 😀
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '07
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 23:24
    I like my Chess Fundamentals
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 23:27
    Originally posted by jose r capablanca
    I like my Chess Fundamentals
    When are you going to write a new edition?

Waiting patiently regards,
    Mad Rook
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '07
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 23:51

Mad Rook
    When Alekhine accept a rematch 😉
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 00:03

Mad Rook
    Nick de Firmian did so a few years ago. It got at least one mediocre review:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/capablanca.html
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 00:33
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Nick de Firmian did so a few years ago. It got at least one mediocre review:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/capablanca.html
    Yeah, Winter's article is why I got the Cadogan edition instead of the McKay (Defirmian) edition. I don't worry as much about minor typos as Winter does, but sometimes he tips us off to major deficiencies.
  10. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 08:52
    I have an addition of the Art of War which is edited by James Clavell. It is short and to the point. I like chess books that explain moves in more abstract terms rather than listing off long lines of play, and when I'm tired of reading chess books I find this 80-90 page inspires my play on the board.

When I see a move in a game or from a book I can relate it to a passage from this book, and to some extent I guess it works the other way too.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 14:33
    Yeah, Winter's article is why I got the Cadogan edition instead of the McKay (Defirmian) edition. I don't worry as much about minor typos as Winter does, but sometimes he tips us off to major deficiencies.
    Minor typos can be bad when there are several on every page, as in Breaking Through: How the Polgar Sisters Changed the Game of Chess by Susan Polgar with Paul Truong.
  12. Here and there
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 18:59
    I think that the book that single-handed improved my results is "The Seven Deadly Chess Sins" by Jonathan Rowson. Not only is it HUGELY entertaining book about chess psychology, but I would say that it's one of those very rare books that you can read through without a chessboard and learn a lot from just by reading the texts (and let's face it, don't we all usually skip through our chessbooks!!). It deals with the mistakes that we (as players) bring to the chessboard, giving different ways of thinking about things and and how to improve the chess-playing person rather than only talk about chess moves. Sheer pleasure...! (The seven deadly sins are things like Egoism, Wanting, Perfectionism, Blinking, Materialism etc etc... (it's especially attractive if you also happen to be interested in (in no particular order ;-)...taoism, quantum physics, paradox...).
  13. Here and there
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 11:14
    Now that I've thought about it a little, I'd have to put Bronstein's book about the Zurich tournament as one of my favorites, along with Tal's book on his world championship match with Botvinnik in 1960..
  14. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 12:19
    judgement and planning in chess - Euwe.
  15. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 22:05
    I recently bought Paul Morphy: A Modern Perspective by V. Beim.

I'm very impressed with both the thoroughness of the notations & also the way that Beim has isolated key features of Morphy's play & how these changed & developed over his brief career.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree