1. Standard memberFreidenker
    Mad scientist
    Québec
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 22:33
    I'm currently reading L. Bo Hansen's Secrets of Chess Endgame Strategy, and so far it's my favorite chess book. It helps me understand how to play the middlegame/opening to get into winning endgames, which is much more important than tactics for a player with my style.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 04:58
    Originally posted by Brinsleleaf
    I think that the book that single-handed improved my results is "The Seven Deadly Chess Sins" by Jonathan Rowson. Not only is it HUGELY entertaining book about chess psychology, but I would say that it's one of those very rare books that you can read through without a chessboard and learn a lot from just by reading the texts (and let's face it, don't we ...[text shortened]... en to be interested in (in no particular order ;-)...taoism, quantum physics, paradox...).
    Agreed, although I think his follow up, Chess for Zebras, is even better (and gets my vote).
  3. Joined
    07 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 04:15
    i think that in all the books that i have read this far,

KING POWER IN CHESS by EDMAR MEDNIS is the best.It doesn't overflow with annotations and gives you a chance to think for yourself...also it has the right amount of explanations
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 12:32
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    The Guide to Good Chess and On the Endgame both by C.J.S. Purdy.
    The Guide to Good Chess is a neat little book, isn't it? I'm not sure it's my absolute favorite, but I think it is a very good one, with lots of basic positional principles. (Doesn't discuss tactics much, though.) I only skimmed it on my first reading; I intend to go through it a second time at a slower pace. Purdy's crystal-clear writing style amazes me. No wonder this book is in it's 12th edition. Too bad it's out of print, due to Thinkers' Press going out of business.

I haven't read his endgame book yet, but if the writing style is as clear as his GTGC, I'd think it would also be a good one to read.
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 17:37
    Search for Chess Perfection by Purdy. His bio, games, and a collection his magazine articles.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree