1. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 12:03
    Heya All,

Ever since I first learned about this "move? strategy?" I've liked it, however I really have no idea of when it is a good idea to play it, or if to play it at all. Also have a "feeling" that there are layouts where it should be avoided.

Can anyone suggestion book/site or whatever where I might read up more about it so I can choose better. Also, anyone have strong feelings either way?

Appolgies if there has already been a thread about it, I have figured out how to search on terms yet.

Toodles,
    Steve
  2. back in business
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 12:171 edit
    dont know about the sites/books, but it is practically always playable. KID, Pirc, some Sicilians, QID and many many other well-known opening include fianchettoing. Personally I play it also against Four Knights def. and Caro-Kann..
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 12:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. back in business
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 12:58
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Nf6 5.Nxf6 gxf6 6.c3 and 7.g3 if allowed. or 7.Nf3 and then g3 and Bg2
  5. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 14:31
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    dont know about the sites/books, but it is practically always playable. KID, Pirc, some Sicilians, QID and many many other well-known opening include fianchettoing. Personally I play it also against Four Knights def. and Caro-Kann..
    Thanks for the feedback, I am starting to learn and study openings however at the current level I play I found myself many more times that not in a 'non-opening' position. Either I have messed up or my opponent isn't playing an opening I can find in the one book I have (Chess Opening, Theory and Practice - falling apart as you an image) or in any database or the open is list to 4 moves with nothing following (i.e no mention of fianchetto or castling).

So I often myself at move 4, all on my own as it were, just winging it. I try for moves that give me an advantage or sometimes I have a plan, but again at my level I'm limited in what I can 'see'.

If find I do well with reading 'in general if x = y or x < Y and a = b then it best if you'. So I am hoping to find some literature/training in that portion of the game that might at least give me some insight. Or is it just an area that really isn't studied on it's own

Thanks
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 15:01
    Originally posted by SPDChess
    Thanks for the feedback, I am starting to learn and study openings however at the current level I play I found myself many more times that not in a 'non-opening' position. Either I have messed up or my opponent isn't playing an opening I can find in the one book I have (Chess Opening, Theory and Practice - falling apart as you an image) or in any database o ...[text shortened]... e some insight. Or is it just an area that really isn't studied on it's own

Thanks
    Make sure you don't block your fianchettoed bishop's diagonal with your pawns. Watch out for pawn storms Game 904401. Try to retain your fianchettoed bishop, don't let your opponent exchange it off if possible, as that would weaken your castled king.

D
  7. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 14:57
    Thanks Ragnorak, I appreciate the advice. will keep it in mind and continue searching for experienced input on this minor facet of the game

Toodles,
    Steve
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 18:06
    Originally posted by SPDChess
    Thanks Ragnorak, I appreciate the advice. will keep it in mind and continue searching for experienced input on this minor facet of the game

Toodles,
    Steve
    I have various games using the Sicilian Dragon (involves a fianchetto) on this site, you might want to look to see if you can find some - they may help.
  9. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 18:58
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I have various games using the Sicilian Dragon (involves a fianchetto) on this site, you might want to look to see if you can find some - they may help.
    Thanks, I hadn't thought to look through existing games (duh)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree