1. Joined
    16 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 14:18
    I've only just latched onto this site and I already believe that a guy of David Tebb's ability should be lauded, not dismissed. Besides, the guy has a battle named after him (W. Mcgonagall, "The Battle Of El-Tebb"😉. Nuff said.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 14:52
    Originally posted by gingerbreadman
    I've only just latched onto this site and I already believe that a guy of David Tebb's ability should be lauded, not dismissed. Besides, the guy has a battle named after him (W. Mcgonagall, "The Battle Of El-Tebb"😉. Nuff said.
    yea. but then again,
    you made a boat,
    to sail away,
    and it sank.
  3. Joined
    16 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 17:29
    Come on, it's just a comment.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 19:44
    Come on, it's just a comment.
    it's a paraphrase from the ginger man, gingerbreadman.

"There was a man
    Who made a boat
    To sail away
    And it sank."
    - J.P. Donleavy from The Ginger Man
  5. Joined
    16 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 21:19
    My bad. I thought you were elaborately trying to say that I was trying to take the thread in a new direction, and failed rather miserably.

Nice quote.

Ginja
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 21:35
    My bad. I thought you were elaborately trying to say that I was trying to take the thread in a new direction, and failed rather miserably.

Nice quote.

Ginja
    well, I guess it was pretty far fetched... 🙂
  7. Standard memberderek9037
    Elder Statesman
    Moves
    19 Sep '06 15:49
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I do not consider a player strong until they are rated at least 2650 in over the board play vs 2600 and higher rated players. Tebb is not that strong a player. Perhaps his correnspondence play is another matter. Tebb may be a very strong correnspondence player. There are no GMs in here to really test the top players.
    How the hell would you know a strong player, as it's a level you will certainly never reach?

If you want to knock (probably) the most respected player at RHP then go ahead, but at least make it a convincing and coherent statement. 😠
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 01:33
    Originally posted by derek9037
    How the hell would you know a strong player, as it's a level you will certainly never reach?

If you want to knock (probably) the most respected player at RHP then go ahead, but at least make it a convincing and coherent statement. 😠
    The same way you know that Kasparov is so strong and you will N E V E R be that strong?
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 11:53
    According to the Independent, two young Brits achieved their first GM Norms in this event. Apparently this is the first time this has happened in living memory (Jon Speelmans memory that is...)

Congrats to Gawain Jones and Luis Galego, finishing 5th and 6th respectively. I personally find it extremely demoralising to see teenagers achieve such heights, i'm sure i'm not alone. Anyways, looks like they should be a couple of names to look out for in the future, good luck to them... 🙂
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 12:021 edit
    The same way you know that Kasparov is so strong and you will N E V E R be that strong?
    And you will someday be able to match up well against Tebb??? Strength is realtive, and you are in no position to call anyone over 1800 weak, nevermind those 2200+.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 12:30
    Originally posted by BLReid
    And you will someday be able to match up well against Tebb??? Strength is realtive, and you are in no position to call anyone over 1800 weak, nevermind those 2200+.
    I never compare players to me. I use players like Tal, Botvinnik, and Fischer, ect. as a measure. The ELO rateing gives a number that states how strong a player is. Fischer 2750 vs Player 1800. Player1800 is a weak player. Player1800 vs. gambit3. Player1800 is strong. Is player1800 really a strong player? I actually use Chessmetrics for a rateing of the players.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 20:23
    I never compare players to me. I use players like Tal, Botvinnik, and Fischer, ect. as a measure. The ELO rateing gives a number that states how strong a player is. Fischer 2750 vs Player 1800. Player1800 is a weak player. Player1800 vs. gambit3. Player1800 is strong. Is player1800 really a strong player? I actually use Chessmetrics for a rateing of the players.
    Not content with merely inserting a foot into his mouth, he now attempts to swallow it.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 22:17
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Not content with merely inserting a foot into his mouth, he now attempts to swallow it.
    A false statement.
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 09:293 edits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree