Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 27 May '06 17:52
    Hi guys!

    I just wanted to know your opinion on this.

    Mayn of us use gambits without noticing them (for example, a gambit for a checkmate). However, how many of you start off with a gambit opening?

    Do you find it useful?

    From what I understand, a gambit is supposed to give you a slightly better foundation for your army, a better structure. From what I have seen of gambits, they seem to be giving away material for free, since the gain, in my opinion is not big at all, or can be countered extremely easily?

    What do you guys think?
  2. 27 May '06 18:22
    I use the Milner-Barry Gambit quite frequently, here are a few of my wins with it:

    Game 984372
    Game 967958 (In this one my opponent resigned because after Qg5 mate was inevitable.)

    In my opinion White gets a lot of counterplay for the pawn (or two) but with best play Black can achieve equality and be ahead in material.
  3. 27 May '06 19:00
    Originally posted by Akashic
    I use the Milner-Barry Gambit quite frequently, here are a few of my wins with it:

    Game 984372
    Game 967958 (In this one my opponent resigned because after Qg5 mate was inevitable.)

    In my opinion White gets a lot of counterplay for the pawn (or two) but with best play Black can achieve equality and be ahead in material.
    nice games Akashic, congratulations
  4. 27 May '06 19:17
    Originally posted by Akashic
    I use the Milner-Barry Gambit quite frequently, here are a few of my wins with it:

    Game 984372
    Game 967958 (In this one my opponent resigned because after Qg5 mate was inevitable.)

    In my opinion White gets a lot of counterplay for the pawn (or two) but with best play Black can achieve equality and be ahead in material.
    Decent games but bad play by Black like - the Milner-Barry gambit is considered dubious, I would happily play the Black side of this in OTB play.
  5. 27 May '06 19:24
    I like to use wing gambits every now and then on the queen side or else the kings gambit... I rarely use the queens gambit since I never play 1 d4.
  6. 27 May '06 19:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by aommaster
    Hi guys!

    I just wanted to know your opinion on this.

    Mayn of us use gambits without noticing them (for example, a gambit for a checkmate). However, how many of you start off with a gambit opening?

    Do you find it useful?

    From what I understand, a gambit is supposed to give you a slightly better foundation for your army, a better structure. From ...[text shortened]... n my opinion is not big at all, or can be countered extremely easily?

    What do you guys think?
    I think you dont know jack. Maybe someone should phone up Morozviech, Polgar, Topalov etc and tell them that they have been playing chess wrong all these years. Aommaster has shown us the light!

    Basicly a gambit gives up static values (ie material) for dynamic compensaion (ie space, control, development) Take the KG for example after 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 white has better central control, which in turn means better squares for his pieces also easier development and black has to fight to hang onto the f pawn which is either pieces looking after a pawn or g5.......weakening of the kingside.

    I would go on and on but you can look it up.
  7. 27 May '06 20:04
    Good point bedlam... somehow we all missed the obvious tip here; early pawn gambits are meant to draw your opponents pieces or pawns out of position or structure so that you can obtain a superior position in the long run and eventually take back the sacrificed material.
  8. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    27 May '06 20:14
    Originally posted by aommaster
    Hi guys!

    I just wanted to know your opinion on this.

    Mayn of us use gambits without noticing them (for example, a gambit for a checkmate). However, how many of you start off with a gambit opening?

    Do you find it useful?

    From what I understand, a gambit is supposed to give you a slightly better foundation for your army, a better structure. From ...[text shortened]... n my opinion is not big at all, or can be countered extremely easily?

    What do you guys think?
    I love playing gambit games. They normally lead to really sharp play.
    Game 1854348
    Game 1531390

    If somebody plays against them right, then you can be at a big disadvantage. I'd normally reserve them for players rated either around or below my rating, but I won't play them against higher rated players as I have taken quite a few beatings.

    D
  9. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    27 May '06 20:44
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I love playing gambit games. They normally lead to really sharp play.
    Game 1854348
    Game 1531390

    If somebody plays against them right, then you can be at a big disadvantage. I'd normally reserve them for players rated either around or below my rating, but I won't play them against higher rated players as I have taken quite a few beatings.

    D
    I think it depends on the gambit. In the Sicilian you can get 1. e4 c5 2. f4 d5 3. exd5 Nf6, black goes for developement rather than straightforward recapture, eg. Game 919299, there's nothing wrong with the alternative 3. ... Qxd5, but 3. ... Nf6 looks more promising, so I'd play it independently of my opponent's rating.
  10. 27 May '06 21:40
    i play the blackmar diemar gambit in blitz, and am interested in the kings gambit.
  11. 28 May '06 01:01
    ive never read it, but ive heard that fischer wrote an article, "bust to the kings gambit" or something like that, and it was so convincing that the kings gambit became much less used by strong players, but that might have changed since.
  12. 28 May '06 01:13
    Originally posted by Oddjob291
    Decent games but bad play by Black like - the Milner-Barry gambit is considered dubious, I would happily play the Black side of this in OTB play.
    How about an unrated set piece Milner-Barry gambit game?
  13. 28 May '06 01:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by TheDarkKnight
    ive never read it, but ive heard that fischer wrote an article, "bust to the kings gambit" or something like that, and it was so convincing that the kings gambit became much less used by strong players, but that might have changed since.
    Yes, it's an EXTREMELY famous article...The story to my knowledge goes that...
    In a famous game between Fischer and Spassky the King's gambit was played. Spassky along with many other young Russian Grandmastes had been using this opening a lot, and quite often with success! So, Spassky played it against Fischer, and surprisingly, scored a win! Fischer was so mad that he immediately wrote "A Bust To The King's Gambit" in which he showed that all of white's wins were due to poor middlegame play and NOT excellent opening play. It was so convincing that this opening has not been played in any significant tournaments by a grandmaster since! Proving that Fischer's writings had a great influence on all of the chess world.

    This article is, of course, still floating around the web. If you are interested you can google it. I have read it, pretty cool.
  14. 28 May '06 03:20
    Originally posted by Akashic
    How about an unrated set piece Milner-Barry gambit game?
    Since Oddjob291 doesn't seem to be active anymore I extend the challenge to anyone who wants to play.
  15. 28 May '06 04:39
    Funny story about this whole thing.

    This thread gave me an interest to try out the KG. First game, I won, in 8 moves. Second game, I won, in 15 moves, then somebody mentioned me, because I mentioned this on the FICS server, and they said they played the KG a lot. They said they were 2000+ and it's the only opening they used. Played me, taught me a couple traps, and slaughtered me. It was awesome, but I'm not sure whether I should start playing this opening or not now....