1. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 12:42
    Game 3197950

Here is a question for any kind soul that wants to figure this out. This game is full of mistakes on both sides, but what I really want to know is my 24th move sound or not.... I admit I didn't think about it that much, much less predict my opponents 25th move. Was my sacrifice sound?
  2. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 12:56
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    Game 3197950

Here is a question for any kind soul that wants to figure this out. This game is full of mistakes on both sides, but what I really want to know is my 24th move sound or not.... I admit I didn't think about it that much, much less predict my opponents 25th move. Was my sacrifice sound?
    Although you are now in move 41, the game is still in progress so no one is allowed to comment just yet.
  3. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 13:03
    bah-humbug
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 13:09

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Maryland, US
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:25
    Here's a thought though, I know we can't comment on games in progress, but if the comments pertain not to the future of the game but to the accuracy or inaccuracy of moves already made then what's the harm?

(please note that I'm only asking out of curiousity. I'm still not breaking the rules by commenting!)

I just figure if I had a game in progress that was well into the late middlegame or the endgame for example then what would be the harm in asking the forum about what I played in the opening? It isn't as though I can go back and change any of it.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 17:35
    Originally posted by JDChess
    Here's a thought though, I know we can't comment on games in progress, but if the comments pertain not to the future of the game but to the accuracy or inaccuracy of moves already made then what's the harm?

(please note that I'm only asking out of curiousity. I'm still not breaking the rules by commenting!)

I just figure if I had a game in progress tha ...[text shortened]... about what I played in the opening? It isn't as though I can go back and change any of it.
    Where do you draw the line? You might think that commenting on the middle game when the game is in deep endgame isn't any harm. Another person might think that once the game has gone on a couple of moves, it's ok to comment.

The blanket "No commenting on in progress games" rule is best.

D
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 18:20
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Where do you draw the line? You might think that commenting on the middle game when the game is in deep endgame isn't any harm. Another person might think that once the game has gone on a couple of moves, it's ok to comment.

The blanket "No commenting on in progress games" rule is best.

D
    There is another one asking for help in a game in progress?
    I thought every one understood the part of TOS 3b that says "...consult any third party to assist you in any game."

Why not invoke Zero tolerance in order to avoid endless discussions in this matter?

...and rewrite TOS 3b with the addendum of "Not ever ask for any help in a game in progress".
  8. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 11:59
    Ok, we can now comment. 😉

I am actually interested in this one as well. Does 24. Bxc7 appear sound?
  9. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 13:371 edit
    What constitutes aid? Any comment on an in-progress game, or any comment on the current position or any potential future position which might arise?

It seems like comments on the feasibility of past moves in an in-progress game would be too late to be of assistance in that game, but is there a way the player could potentially use such information in that game, such as elements present at that time which might still be present?

Just curious.
  10. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 14:41
    I think black should have played 29..QxR followed by KxR with drawing chances
  11. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 14:551 edit
    Originally posted by geepamoogle
    What constitutes aid? Any comment on an in-progress game, or any comment on the current position or any potential future position which might arise?

It seems like comments on the feasibility of past moves in an in-progress game would be too late to be of assistance in that game, but is there a way the player could potentially use such information in that game, such as elements present at that time which might still be present?

Just curious.
    Effectively, assistance in past moves can potentially give aid to future moves. Although it is more of a case of the can of worms that would be opened if past moves were assisted at all in any game.

For example, if someone was allowed suggestions on an in progress game on move 20, and the game is now in move 40, then someone else would complain saying, "He/she can get assistance, why can't I?". There could be a lot of debate how much that aid has helped in future moves.

As Ragnorak said, it is a lot safer that no comments on games in progress is allowed.
  12. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 15:00
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    I think black should have played 29..QxR followed by KxR with drawing chances
    Ahhh, cool. Although I would have likely to have made the same moves as your opponent in that position. I can see your point though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree