Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 04 Mar '06 00:26
    No, not me, that's the thread.

http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/skittarch.htm

Scroll down to the title, you'll be fascinated, it's by Hans Kmoch, who was familiar with a half dozen of the greats from the 1930's
  2. 04 Mar '06 15:06 / 1 edit
    I once witnessed a reading/lecture by the great Michail Botwinnik. Does that count ?
  3. Standard member Jean Hebert
    1 e4 Draw!
    05 Mar '06 01:35
    I have met quite a few.
    If you could assemble all past and present GMs in 1 room, it would be a large gathering of very different people.
    Quite a collection of odd-balls in the everyday sense.
    Lots of queer behavior and habits.
    Jean
  4. 05 Mar '06 01:39
    Originally posted by Jean Hebert
    I have met quite a few.
    If you could assemble all past and present GMs in 1 room, it would be a large gathering of very different people.
    Quite a collection of odd-balls in the everyday sense.
    Lots of queer behavior and habits.
    Jean
    Any examples?
  5. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    05 Mar '06 01:46
    I know one Dutch grandmaster.
  6. 05 Mar '06 01:51
    Known in the Biblical sense???
    No GM's here, an IM one time.
    Nice girl ,still is active chess wise,
    not sure about the "other."
  7. 05 Mar '06 02:12
    Oh, farfeghnugen! I'm trying to bring your attention to a most excellent article, read it and comment on that.
  8. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    05 Mar '06 06:46
    Christianson, Browne, I.Ivanov, D.Gurevich and Annakov I met while directing tournaments.
    I played T.Petrosian and A.Ivanov.
    But the greatest I ever met was George Koltanowski.
  9. 06 Mar '06 03:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    No, not me, that's the thread.

Scroll down to the title, you'll be fascinated, it's by Hans Kmoch, who was familiar with a half dozen of the greats from the 1930's
    I met GM Alexander Ivanov at the 4th Contininental Chess Congress in Orlando, FL and stood only a few feet away from the board on which he was playing. My mother got his autograph, but I almost shot her for doing it. I mean, autographs from grandmaster's don't go for much unless it's Kasparov, Fischer or Karpov. LOL I guess you have to win the big one to be gathered into the halls of fame and history.
  10. 06 Mar '06 03:16 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Christianson, Browne, I.Ivanov, D.Gurevich and Annakov I met while directing tournaments.
    I played T.Petrosian and A.Ivanov.
    But the greatest I ever met was George Koltanowski.
    I can't believe you played Ivanov. I met another guy who played him at the tournament in Orlando back in 1993. I placed 4th and won a plaque.
    But, just to have played Petrosian - that is timeless! I would never wash those pawns the rest of my life. The Python Petrosian! Yee Haww!
  11. 06 Mar '06 15:41
    I met David Bronstein, the challenger for the 1951 World Chess Championship (match tied vs. Botvinnik who retained the title). He was a very nice fellow and an extraordinary chess player. In our one game, I played what I thought was a nifty sacrifice, but he easily dealt with my clumsy attack and went on to win.
  12. 06 Mar '06 15:54
    Nice article. Thanks.
  13. 07 Mar '06 15:14
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I met David Bronstein, the challenger for the 1951 World Chess Championship (match tied vs. Botvinnik who retained the title). He was a very nice fellow and an extraordinary chess player. In our one game, I played what I thought was a nifty sacrifice, but he easily dealt with my clumsy attack and went on to win.
    I played Bronstein about 12 years ago at Hastings and managed to draw, though of course he was into his seventies by then. It was quite a humbling experience analysing the game with him though. That man has forgotten more about chess that most of us will ever know!
  14. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    07 Mar '06 16:44
    Ray Keene used to go to my school and often comes in to play simuls against pupils and teachers. I haven't yet played him but I've said hi and how are you, and plan to play him this summer.
  15. 07 Mar '06 18:51
    I was lucky enough to go to a chess camp with a couple of buddies about 10 years ago. The only thing I remember is revieiwing some classic games (evergreen and a few others). In one game Kaidanov kept asking what we should do (we had used a knight to fork queen and rook, the queen had moved) and for about 4 turns someone always suggested Nxh8. His reply was always:

"You want ze rook, or you want ze game"? in a accent I could barely understand.

Addendum: I hope that was Kaidanov, my memories of that camp are really hazy.

I have never had a chance to meet any GMs one on one, but the 2 IMs were both very helpful when analyzing the game afterwords.