1. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 00:26
    No, not me, that's the thread.

http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/skittarch.htm

Scroll down to the title, you'll be fascinated, it's by Hans Kmoch, who was familiar with a half dozen of the greats from the 1930's
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 15:061 edit
    I once witnessed a reading/lecture by the great Michail Botwinnik. Does that count ?
  3. Standard memberJean Hebert
    1 e4 Draw!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 01:35
    I have met quite a few.
    If you could assemble all past and present GMs in 1 room, it would be a large gathering of very different people.
    Quite a collection of odd-balls in the everyday sense.
    Lots of queer behavior and habits.
    Jean
  4. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 01:39
    Originally posted by Jean Hebert
    I have met quite a few.
    If you could assemble all past and present GMs in 1 room, it would be a large gathering of very different people.
    Quite a collection of odd-balls in the everyday sense.
    Lots of queer behavior and habits.
    Jean
    Any examples?
  5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 01:46
    I know one Dutch grandmaster.
  6. Forgotten
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 01:51
    Known in the Biblical sense???
    No GM's here, an IM one time.
    Nice girl ,still is active chess wise,
    not sure about the "other."
  7. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 02:12
    Oh, farfeghnugen! I'm trying to bring your attention to a most excellent article, read it and comment on that.
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 06:46
    Christianson, Browne, I.Ivanov, D.Gurevich and Annakov I met while directing tournaments.
    I played T.Petrosian and A.Ivanov.
    But the greatest I ever met was George Koltanowski.
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 03:141 edit
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    No, not me, that's the thread.

Scroll down to the title, you'll be fascinated, it's by Hans Kmoch, who was familiar with a half dozen of the greats from the 1930's
    I met GM Alexander Ivanov at the 4th Contininental Chess Congress in Orlando, FL and stood only a few feet away from the board on which he was playing. My mother got his autograph, but I almost shot her for doing it. I mean, autographs from grandmaster's don't go for much unless it's Kasparov, Fischer or Karpov. LOL I guess you have to win the big one to be gathered into the halls of fame and history.
  10. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 03:162 edits
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Christianson, Browne, I.Ivanov, D.Gurevich and Annakov I met while directing tournaments.
    I played T.Petrosian and A.Ivanov.
    But the greatest I ever met was George Koltanowski.
    I can't believe you played Ivanov. I met another guy who played him at the tournament in Orlando back in 1993. I placed 4th and won a plaque. 🙂
    But, just to have played Petrosian - that is timeless! I would never wash those pawns the rest of my life. The Python Petrosian! Yee Haww!
  11. Big D
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 15:41
    I met David Bronstein, the challenger for the 1951 World Chess Championship (match tied vs. Botvinnik who retained the title). He was a very nice fellow and an extraordinary chess player. In our one game, I played what I thought was a nifty sacrifice, but he easily dealt with my clumsy attack and went on to win.
  12. Joined
    20 Jun '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 15:54
    Nice article. Thanks.
  13. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 15:14
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I met David Bronstein, the challenger for the 1951 World Chess Championship (match tied vs. Botvinnik who retained the title). He was a very nice fellow and an extraordinary chess player. In our one game, I played what I thought was a nifty sacrifice, but he easily dealt with my clumsy attack and went on to win.
    I played Bronstein about 12 years ago at Hastings and managed to draw, though of course he was into his seventies by then. It was quite a humbling experience analysing the game with him though. That man has forgotten more about chess that most of us will ever know!
  14. London
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 16:44
    Ray Keene used to go to my school and often comes in to play simuls against pupils and teachers. I haven't yet played him but I've said hi and how are you, and plan to play him this summer.
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 18:51
    I was lucky enough to go to a chess camp with a couple of buddies about 10 years ago. The only thing I remember is revieiwing some classic games (evergreen and a few others). In one game Kaidanov kept asking what we should do (we had used a knight to fork queen and rook, the queen had moved) and for about 4 turns someone always suggested Nxh8. His reply was always:

"You want ze rook, or you want ze game"? in a accent I could barely understand.

Addendum: I hope that was Kaidanov, my memories of that camp are really hazy.

I have never had a chance to meet any GMs one on one, but the 2 IMs were both very helpful when analyzing the game afterwords.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree