1. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 21:09
    http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kmoch05.pdf

The author's reminisence of Alekhine is fascinating, I knew he had a drinking problem, but it was a BAD one. Also his habit of marrying much older women was a bit sick.
  2. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 14:37
    I heard a lecture/played against GM William Lombardy a couple of weeks ago. For those of you who haven't heard of him, he was Bobby Fischer's 2nd in his world championship match against Spassky. He is also one of the people who arranged for Fischer to leave Japan to find a safe haven in Iceland. It was pretty cool to play with someone who played against Tal, Fischer, Botvinnik, etc etc etc...
  3. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 23:35
    I've met lots of GM's, but the most memorable was Max Euwe when I was 14 years old. My Dad took me to watch him play a simul and I got his autograph, and he wrote "good luck with chess interest." Arthur Bisguier is one of the most approachable as was William Lombardy.
  4. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 02:45
    Oh yeah, Lombardy signed my score sheet... he wrote "Always check, it might be mate"
  5. Big D
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 20:35
    I've known the Czech GM (semi-retired from active play) Karel Mokrey for several years now. He's a rare book dealer in Brno, Czech Republic. Every now and then, I come across one of his games from the '80s when he was active. The last one was a game fragment in a book on the Nimzo-Indian. I wanted to find out how it all turned out, so I asked him and he remembered every single detail of the game without being prompted or having to look it up. If you run into him, ask him about his game with Spassky where he won his second GM norm.
  6. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 14:28
    Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o
    I heard a lecture/played against GM William Lombardy a couple of weeks ago. For those of you who haven't heard of him, he was Bobby Fischer's 2nd in his world championship match against Spassky. He is also one of the people who arranged for Fischer to leave Japan to find a safe haven in Iceland. It was pretty cool to play with someone who played against Tal, Fischer, Botvinnik, etc etc etc...
    I know Bill. I took a few lessons from him. He also frequents the chess clubs i went to.
    Seen him around for a few years.
    I also know Asa Hoffman. He played Fischer a lot back when, and wrote a book (Chess Gladiator) where he won a blitz game against Fischer using the evans gambit.
    Asa hangs around the chess clubs in NYC, where i also go.
  7. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 14:42
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    I know Bill. I took a few lessons from him. He also frequents the chess clubs i went to.
    Seen him around for a few years.
    I also know Asa Hoffman. He played Fischer a lot back when, and wrote a book (Chess Gladiator) where he won a blitz game against Fischer using the evans gambit.
    Asa hangs around the chess clubs in NYC, where i also go.
    Thats cool! I live in Southern California. Mr. Lombardy was here to play in the West Amatuer Team tournament. I played in the tournament and there was a lot of hub bub that there was a GM in the tournament. There were a few IMs as well. Anyway the next day he visited our local chess club and analyzed a game for us and then played a little simul against 3 of us.
  8. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 01:28
    Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o
    Thats cool! I live in Southern California. Mr. Lombardy was here to play in the West Amatuer Team tournament. I played in the tournament and there was a lot of hub bub that there was a GM in the tournament. There were a few IMs as well. Anyway the next day he visited our local chess club and analyzed a game for us and then played a little simul against 3 of us.
    He did mention, that he was playing in feb, that was in jan. I havent heard from him in a while.
    I used to play in the Manhattan CC rapids on fris, and GM Joel Benjamin, and John Fedorowitz, and Becera, and Wojowicz (cant spell his name.😳) and many other GM's used to stop by and crush us patzers.😛
    I did almost get a draw with Joel, and gave some GMs a scare. Mated this master one time, in a back rank tactic.
    Dont get to the OTB rapids anymore. They still have them at the Marshall, but no GMs play in it.
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 23:531 edit
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    He did mention, that he was playing in feb, that was in jan. I havent heard from him in a while.
    I used to play in the Manhattan CC rapids on fris, and GM Joel Benjamin, and John Fedorowitz, and Becera, and Wojowicz (cant spell his name.😳) and many other GM's used to stop by and crush us patzers.😛
    I did almost get a draw with Joel, and gave some GM ...[text shortened]... ont get to the OTB rapids anymore. They still have them at the Marshall, but no GMs play in it.
    Boy oh boy! GM Joel Benjamin must have been drunk or extremely tired for you to almost draw him. I like the part about giving them a "scare," too! HAHA! You're hilarious Grandmouster! Totally hilarious! You've got what amounts to a Class B rating in the USCF on www.redhotpawn.com, and you use to be pounding it out against Masters and Grandmasters. You're hilarious!
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 01:061 edit
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Boy oh boy! GM Joel Benjamin must have been drunk or extremely tired for you to almost draw him. I like the part about giving them a "scare," too! HAHA! You're hilarious Grandmouster! Totally hilarious! You've got what amounts to a Class B rating in the USCF on www.redhotpawn.com, and you use to be pounding it out against Masters and Grandmasters. You're hilarious!
    Compare and contrast this post with powershaker's post on the second page of Thread 39021.
  11. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 01:42
    hahaha, your insane.
  12. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 02:081 edit
    Would you like to see my signed copy of chess life, after Joel won the US Champ.? Prozac head.
    I've known Joel for about 8 years.
    How would you know if i almost got any draws, knucklehead. Where you there watching me?
    I have beat strong players in blitz, because thats mostly what i play.
    My rating is slowly, but shurely climbing here, as your just, what? 1200? 1300?
    Oh, thats right, you dont know, because chessmaster cant tell you.
  13. Joined
    11 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 04:28
    I managed to play some GM Bryan Smith in a simul in where he whooped all of my school last year.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree