Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 13 Jul '07 10:58
    I am pretty sure we already have thread about grob, so just send me a link to the thread. You can reply here if you want.

I am interested in basic idea of that opening (except to go out of book soon because of lack of theory), ,and common caracteristic developments of the situation and basic white's plans of playing, his targets etc.. Thanks
  2. 13 Jul '07 12:34
    There is an e-book in chessbase format you can download here:
    http://www.chessville.com/downloads/misc_downloads.htm#TacticalGrob

You may also want to check out the following Grob Attack site
    http://nestore.mysteria.cz/
  3. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    13 Jul '07 12:47 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by wakchessdragon
    I am pretty sure we already have thread about grob, so just send me a link to the thread. You can reply here if you want.

I am interested in basic idea of that opening (except to go out of book soon because of lack of theory), ,and common caracteristic developments of the situation and basic white's plans of playing, his targets etc.. Thanks
    This is one thread Thread 46910 and another Thread 61268 and Thread 62096

There are others if you care to search.
  4. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
  5. 13 Jul '07 19:36
    "The Killer Grob" by IM Michael Basman is very entertaining and instructive with tons of annotated complete games that he's played in tournaments.

Basman also analyzes 1 e4 g5, 1 c4 g5 and 1 d4 h6 (followed by ...g5 at some point).
  6. 13 Jul '07 20:15

7. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    13 Jul '07 23:35
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    "The Killer Grob" by IM Michael Basman is very entertaining and instructive with tons of annotated complete games that he's played in tournaments.

Basman also analyzes 1 e4 g5, 1 c4 g5 and 1 d4 h6 (followed by ...g5 at some point).
    The Tactical Grob by Bloodgood is far superior.

The Killer Grob is a good read but too light on serious theory.
  8. 14 Jul '07 17:10
    Yeah. It's kinda sad he was a murderer and all.
  9. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    14 Jul '07 17:39
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    Yeah. It's kinda sad he was a murderer and all.
    That is true! Which explains why most of his games were correspondence.
  10. 14 Jul '07 19:57
    Good ol Claude Bloodgood.
  11. 15 Jul '07 02:29

It's absolutely brutal. I gave up on it after 2 humiliating defeats.
  12. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    15 Jul '07 18:18
    Originally posted by Leonard Leader
    It's absolutely brutal. I gave up on it after 2 humiliating defeats.
    As white or black?