1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 18:38
    Originally posted by grandmasteryoda
    I once discussed this very point with IM Malcolm Pein and he said, quite correctly in my opinion, that CC ratings should be self-levelling since everyone has access to books and databases. Therefore, CC and OTB ratings should be similar.

Similarly, having extra time in CC chess can also not be a factor since this is the same for both players, as a ...[text shortened]... t otherwise would not have been won, there is only really one explanation for higher CC ratings.
    I think this would only be true if CC and OTB chess have exactly the same skill sets for success, and that is not the case.
  2. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 19:321 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I think this would only be true if CC and OTB chess have exactly the same skill sets for success, and that is not the case.
    In my opinion, CC and OTB chess can be compared to 100 m races and marathon. Anyone who is good at running will probably perform well in both disciplines. However, outperforming compitors in any of these disciplines requires speciaslation.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 20:27

Similarly, having extra time in CC chess can also not be a factor since this is the same for both players,
    A lot of us play on RHP for fun and play as if its OTB or even blitz if its a
    busy weekend. I never use any books or databases and I dont think I'm alone.
  4. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 21:37
    As a former subscriber to this site[I have many friends who know and have met me personally who have also played games with me here and over the board],myself and many others took the decision that it was not desirable to pay for the displeasure of accepting challenge games against players who for their own reasons prefer to cheat their way to a win,rather than using all the knowledge openly available to anyone who is willing to spend the time and effort to obtain a win or draw according to the rules. Ratings at all online chess sites are all open to desired manipulation which sometimes includes breaking the rules and sometimes not from any player,and it is for this reason that correct over the board chess abilities cannot be determined by comparison with any online ratings which can truly be considered as basically meaningless in the vast majority of cases. For those who simply enjoy playing chess regardless of game results,it is considered best policy by many players I know of,to simply abandon rated online gameplay and concentrate on chess! I never now play any rated games here or elsewhere and will not ever do so,which obviously reduces any opponents supposed incentive to play 'outside the rules'
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 22:17
    I once discussed this very point with IM Malcolm Pein and he said, quite correctly in my opinion, that CC ratings should be self-levelling since everyone has access to books and databases. Therefore, CC and OTB ratings should be similar.

Similarly, having extra time in CC chess can also not be a factor since this is the same for both players, as a ...[text shortened]... t otherwise would not have been won, there is only really one explanation for higher CC ratings.
    It may be true that the ratings should be simiilar, but your IM seems to be ignorant of one fact. That is that CC players do not all take advantage of the resources available to them equally. Each persons motive and psychology is always a contributing factor. For example some CC playes will not take advantage of the extra time given them and do not feel like looking up opening variations and some even refuse to use the RHP analyze board even after they are made aware of it. Go figure. 😏
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 15:381 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It may be true that the ratings [b]should be simiilar, but your IM seems to be ignorant of one fact. That is that CC players do not all take advantage of the resources available to them equally. Each persons motive and psychology is always a contributing factor. For example some CC playes will not take advantage of the extra time given them and do no ...[text shortened]... e even refuse to use the RHP analyze board even after they are made aware of it. Go figure. 😏[/b]
    If that were the case there would be a LOT more 2200 level players here whose OTB rating is in the 1500's.

There are only a very few of those here and one has to wonder why.

My own OTB USCF rating is over 1700 but yet I have rarely even gotten to that rating here. I seldom use opening books but I use the analyze board a lot.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 22:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If that were the case there would be a LOT more 2200 level players here whose OTB rating is in the 1500's.

There are only a very few of those here and one has to wonder why.

My own OTB USCF rating is over 1700 but yet I have rarely even gotten to that rating here. I seldom use opening books but I use the analyze board a lot.
    Good for you. However, perhaps your old brain has gotten too feeble even for CC type chess. Some 1700 players on here give me a difficult game sometimes. It must be the psychological mood I am in at the time.
  8. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 23:07
    My rhp grade is about 1650 higher than my otb grade. How do I achieve this? Inability to convert ecf grades.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 04:34
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    My rhp grade is about 1650 higher than my otb grade. How do I achieve this? Inability to convert ecf grades.
    I don't think they really convert.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 08:14
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    The ECF to FIDE conversion is:
    ECF x 8 + 650 = FIDE

And RHP ratings are presumably supposed to correspond to FIDE ratings.

The OTB ratings of strong players on RHP are unlikely to have much correlation to their RHP ratings because there are a huge number of cheats on this site among the players over 2000 and losing to these drags the real players' ratings down.
  11. Joined
    31 Mar '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 10:44
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    ECF x 8 + 650 = FIDE

The OTB ratings of strong players on RHP are unlikely to have much correlation to their RHP ratings because there are a huge number of cheats on this site among the players over 2000 and losing to these drags the real players' ratings down.
    agreed.
  12. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 11:49
    I let my membership lapse a couple of years back because the site was doing very little to ban even obvious cheats. That was what I thought *then*.

Popping back recently to play a few practice games, I see I was wrong. Compared to now a few years ago was a Golden Age.

Now the situation is far far worse. There's a guy I played and easily beat four times a few years back suddenly on the first page. Apparently very highly rated folk are happy to parade their ignorance on the forums apparently safe in the knowledge that they won't be banned.

Anybody who's experienced chess OTB for any length of time knows what's possible online without computer assistance and what isn't.

Perhaps it's time for RHP to admit it doesn't care about computer use and just say that it's legal?
  13. Joined
    31 Mar '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 15:15
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    I let my membership lapse a couple of years back because the site was doing very little to ban even obvious cheats. That was what I thought *then*.

Popping back recently to play a few practice games, I see I was wrong. Compared to now a few years ago was a Golden Age.

Now the situation is far far worse. There's a guy I played and easily ...[text shortened]... s time for RHP to admit it doesn't care about computer use and just say that it's legal?
    back to engine cheats again ... nothing is done here about it yes, but personally i don't mind playing some poor creature's engine at a game of chess.
    i just want to improve my chess by using my brain.
    i'd hazard a guess that the strong, honest players will self-police who and who they don't play anyway. it happens on FICS for example, an engine cheat simply gets sussed out and banned from playing the good, honest players.
    what goes around, comes around.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 00:53
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    ECF x 8 + 650 = FIDE

If they lose, the other person is cheating. Isn't that one of the common excuses? 😏
  15. Joined
    31 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 01:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree