1. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 02:223 edits
    Why is my rating over inflated from OTB? Because I can often research an opening as I play it. Since you are allowed to use books and databases it makes sense for correspondence ratings to be higher. Also because of the analyze board tool and because you can take a whole days rest inbetween moves. There is a stamina factor involved in OTB that I think would lower any rating from their correspondence. Anyway... OTB is better... unless you have nobody to play with!

Edit: Even though everyone has access to books and such just means that those who don't use them well are the fodder that inflates everyone elses ratings. Serious players OTB will be serious players CC... But there will always be weekenders who become fodder.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 11:36
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The ECF to FIDE conversion is:
    ECF x 8 + 650 = FIDE

And RHP ratings are presumably supposed to correspond to FIDE ratings.

The OTB ratings of strong players on RHP are unlikely to have much correlation to their RHP ratings because there are a huge number of cheats on this site among the players over 2000 and losing to these drags the real players' ratings down.
    Who ever come up with that is just trying to make the ECF rating seem better. There is really no accurate equation to convert the two. Trust me. 😏
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 11:39
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Why is my rating over inflated from OTB? Because I can often research an opening as I play it. Since you are allowed to use books and databases it makes sense for correspondence ratings to be higher. Also because of the analyze board tool and because you can take a whole days rest inbetween moves. There is a stamina factor involved in OTB that I think wo ...[text shortened]... layers OTB will be serious players CC... But there will always be weekenders who become fodder.
    That stamina factor is especially true for an old out of shape man like me.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 14:111 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That stamina factor is especially true for an old out of shape man like me.
    Which is why you have to rely on computers to do the heavy lifting for you to have reached over 2200 but are only a 1500 OTB player?

Find me ANYONE here with a 700 point difference between their OTB rating and CC rating who isn't using an engine.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 18:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Which is why you have to rely on computers to do the heavy lifting for you to have reached over 2200 but are only a 1500 OTB player?

Find me ANYONE here with a 700 point difference between their OTB rating and CC rating who isn't using an engine.
    There are other factors that figure into that -- such as my 30 year layoff from the game that caused me to forget the opening variations that I had memorized to reach 1817 USCF, as well as most of my rated games upon returning to the game have been with 45 minute time controls to complete the game.
  6. Garner, NC
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 17:52
    Originally posted by grandmasteryoda
    I once discussed this very point with IM Malcolm Pein and he said, quite correctly in my opinion, that CC ratings should be self-levelling since everyone has access to books and databases. Therefore, CC and OTB ratings should be similar.

Similarly, having extra time in CC chess can also not be a factor since this is the same for both players, as a ...[text shortened]... t otherwise would not have been won, there is only really one explanation for higher CC ratings.
    I think everyone chooses how much time they invest in CC. If I spend 10 minute per move playing CC and my opponents spend 10 seconds per move, then even if we're at the same skill level and perhaps the same OTB rating, I would expect to be able to attain a higher CC rating.

NO ONE playing CC uses 100% of their time available for thinking about their moves. Therefore, everyone is choosing to what degree they're dedicated to the game. I've sometimes taken close to two hours for a single move on this site. Some of my opponents, although perhaps stronger than me, are clearly not taking that long.

When playing OTB, some may use more time than others, but there is a much tighter time limit even for slow games. As a result, opponents playing OTB usually apply similar efforts to the game and have similar distractions.

As far as collecting points from timeouts, that cuts both ways. I sometimes gain wins from timeouts, but I sometimes play opponents who may have reached 1900, but lost several dozen games in a row to timeout and are now rated below 1400. If I'm playing someone who is strong enough to be 1900, but has a 1400 rating, I'm losing points because of the games my opponent lost to timeouts.
  7. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 23:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Me as above. Even more impressive is that I have just improved my ecf grade by 189 points in one game (won my first otb game I have played in 3 years although I appreciate you don't really get a grade on 1 game)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree