Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Feb '13 11:43
    Just curious. I see guys getting close but has anyone not subsequently banned reached 2500?
  2. 20 Feb '13 12:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Just curious. I see guys getting close but has anyone not subsequently banned reached 2500?
    ? I know its contoversial being too good on here.... i refuse to believe that many people cheat, it would be so boring.
  3. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    20 Feb '13 15:37
    Looking at a 2500 rating here without taking it in the context of how it was reached is almost meaningless.

    There are a large number of players on the site who could relatively easily reach 2500 simply by playing a large number of games against substantially lower-rated opponents.

    The fact that a player can (with a subscription) play a potentially huge number of games against individually-selected opponents (or even the same opponent) means that a 2500 rating here is almost completely different than a "real world" 2500 rating.

    Ratings here can have individual value as a measure of relative progress (assuming one plays the same people), but is almost valueless in comparison to any other chess rating.

    I have several real world chess friends who also play on the site, and all of our ratings here are anywhere from 100 to 500 points higher than our equivalent USCF ratings (one of our friends plays strongly at the club, but when we try to get him into a tournament, the clock turns him into jelly). Our running joke is that our ratings here are like Weimar Republic marks.
  4. 20 Feb '13 18:35
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Looking at a 2500 rating here without taking it in the context of how it was reached is almost meaningless.

    There are a large number of players on the site who could relatively easily reach 2500 simply by playing a large number of games against substantially lower-rated opponents.

    The fact that a player can (with a subscription) play a potentiall ...[text shortened]... ns him into jelly). Our running joke is that our ratings here are like Weimar Republic marks.
    Well said!
  5. 21 Feb '13 20:39
    My own rating here is about 300 points higher than my OTB rating and the same seems to be true for many players.

    So if nobody here is above 2500, perhaps it is because nobody here has an OTB rating over 2200.
  6. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    21 Feb '13 21:54
    I'm 300 points over my FIDE rating
  7. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    21 Feb '13 23:29
    Originally posted by kingshill
    I'm 300 points over my FIDE rating
    I can beat all of those. My RHP rating is nearly 700 points higher than my present USCF rating and is about 400 points higher than my all-time high USCF rating.
  8. 22 Feb '13 00:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I can beat all of those. My RHP rating is nearly 700 points higher than my present USCF rating and is about 400 points higher than my all-time high USCF rating.
    why do you think that is RJ ?
  9. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    22 Feb '13 01:01
    my rating is 180 higher than my all time high as well
  10. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    22 Feb '13 03:30
    I'm such a patzer.
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    22 Feb '13 03:43
    Originally posted by st40
    why do you think that is RJ ?
    Because maybe it is, duh.... Did I whip your arse before?
  12. 22 Feb '13 05:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Because maybe it is, duh.... Did I whip your arse before?
    RJ, just shut it. Perhaps some players on here are willing to put up with your ill humors because they are kinder than I am; however, we all know you are a charlatan. However, why is your rating 700 points higher than your USCF rate? We all know why and it's not because you use an analyze board. Your comments show a lack of understanding that your play does not show. Stop ruining perfectly fine threads with your input.

    I've read several places you post because you think you have something to add to the forums, well you simply don't. You just take away from them.
  13. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    22 Feb '13 05:37
    Originally posted by w0lver1ne
    My own rating here is about 300 points higher than my OTB rating and the same seems to be true for many players.

    So if nobody here is above 2500, perhaps it is because nobody here has an OTB rating over 2200.
    My rating here is 100 points lower than my current USCF(2059).
    My high rating in USCF is 2159.
  14. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    22 Feb '13 07:36
    Originally posted by caissad4
    My rating here is 100 points lower than my current USCF(2059).
    My high rating in USCF is 2159.
    Probably because you have 468 games in progress. I used to have problems managing 80 how do you cope?

    On the general point correspondence chess is not over the board chess. Once you get past around 1800 the correlation between OTB ratings and correspondence ratings isn't going to be that strong, for one thing the visualization skills you need over the board aren't significant in correspondence, where analysis boards save you the trouble.

    My ECF rating is 126(D) which corresponds to something around 1,600 FIDE, which is about 350 lower than my highest rating here.
  15. Subscriber C J Horse
    A stable personality
    22 Feb '13 09:01
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Because maybe it is, duh.... Did I whip your arse before?
    There aren't many people in the USA who know how to spell 'arse' properly