1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:02
    Originally posted by scandium
    I guess this is kind of what I've been looking for. I don't mind knowing a bit of opening theory, but when you have opps who really know their pet lines and systems guys (London, Colle, etc) who play the same opening moves regardless of black's reply, since they need only know a few ideas they're already comfortable with, it can be very difficult to get an ...[text shortened]... with black. Its one of the few openings I haven't tried, so its certainly worth a shot.
    well, there is a bit of theory involved, but you needn't worry! the "theory" is actually just the popularly accepted way of following through with the themes!
    I pride myself in knowing a lot about Caro-Kann. despite my low rating, I could give most anyone lessons on most any line of the Caro-Kann (other than the Panov-Botvinnik Attack) would you like a game? unrated? you can be black, and I'll help you out with the Caro-Kann, with the best explanations I know how to give.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:04
    you appear to be nearing the end of your game with nemacus, just tell me when that one's finished, and we can start, if you like.
  3. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:11
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    it dares black to play a slav with 2. d4
    more interesting, though is when play goes: 1. c4 c6 2. e4! d5 3. cxd5 cxd5 4. exd5 Qxd5 5. Nc3 and 6. d4 to follow... black can certainly hold even, but white may get good play? it would be similar to an extremely open Scandinavian Defence. and to the O.P., Caro-Kann is a great opening for helping you understand ...[text shortened]... Y left Caro because it was too boring... solid, rest assured, but drawishly boring, nonetheless.
    I don't like dull games either, or more accurately, I don't like dull symmetrical games. With black's Q side pawn majority in the main lines, he looks to have a fairly simple plan of exchanging pieces and queening a pawn on the Q side. This is fine with me as it does give a clear strategic goal and some winning prospects. And the Panov-Botvinnik can be very exciting with either side.

Plans against the 1. d4 lines and 1. c4 lines I'm not so clear on though.
  4. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:21
    Sounds good to me. I'll challenge you to a game as soon this one finishes.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:39
    Sounds good to me. I'll challenge you to a game as soon this one finishes.
    unrated 3/7 for convenience's sake.
    you be black.
  6. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:43
    unrated 3/7 for convenience's sake.
    you be black.
    Okay, I'm fairly new still to this board, is 3/7 3 days per move and 7 days time bank?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:46
    Okay, I'm fairly new still to this board, is 3/7 3 days per move and 7 days time bank?
    yup. 🙂
  8. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 02:55
    Looks like you'll need to challenge me, you're only accepting challenges from 1700+ and I'm still provisional.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 00:121 edit
    I've heard about that guy, but I disagree about asking him for advice.
    He's full of it as far as his openings as black... bunch of unsound bull.
    1. ...c6 and 2. ...d5 are best...
    although, like I said, 1. c4 and 2. e4 are gonna be different, posing a sort of Maroczy Bind on d5. gaychessplayer, does Soltis give anything about 1. c4 and 2. e4?
    Soltis' coverage of the Caro-Kann is the most complete coverage of that defense that I have ever seen. I don't remember what he recommends against 1 e4 c6 2 c4.

In his excellent, "Opening Systems for Competitive Chess Players", John Hall also recommends the Caro-Kann against 1 e4. After 1 e4 c6 2 c4, Hall suggests 2...e5.

The Hall book provides a complete repertoire for White and Black. The book recommends the Torre Attack (1 d4 2 Nf3 3 Bg5) as White, and the Tartakower formation (1...d5 2...e6 3...Nf6 4...Be7 5...O-O 6...b6) for Black against everything except 1 e4.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 02:16
    I don't like dull games either, or more accurately, I don't like dull symmetrical games. With black's Q side pawn majority in the main lines, he looks to have a fairly simple plan of exchanging pieces and queening a pawn on the Q side. This is fine with me as it does give a clear strategic goal and some winning prospects. And the Panov-Botvinnik can ...[text shortened]... th either side.

ahh, I'm a fool!
    wish I had read this before playing into the main line, and we could have gone through the Panov-Botvinnik (though the results would have been different, as I don't know the ins and outs of the Panov-Botvinnik, you would have ended up helping me a bit! so sorry for this, hadn't read that you wanted to avoid dullness, which the Caro-Kann is chocked full of!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 02:18
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Soltis' coverage of the Caro-Kann is the most complete coverage of that defense that I have ever seen. I don't remember what he recommends against 1 e4 c6 2 c4.

In his excellent, "Opening Systems for Competitive Chess Players", John Hall also recommends the Caro-Kann against 1 e4. After 1 e4 c6 2 c4, Hall suggests 2...e5.

The Hall book provi ...[text shortened]... 1...d5 2...e6 3...Nf6 4...Be7 5...O-O 6...b6) for Black against everything except 1 e4.
    2. ... e5?! that doesn't look very Kann-ish at all... 🙁
  12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 14:08
    I don't like dull games either, or more accurately, I don't like dull symmetrical games. With black's Q side pawn majority in the main lines, he looks to have a fairly simple plan of exchanging pieces and queening a pawn on the Q side. This is fine with me as it does give a clear strategic goal and some winning prospects. And the Panov-Botvinnik can ...[text shortened]... th either side.

Against 1.c4 I enjoy and recommend the (name escapes me) where black plays an early d5 and looks to set up a reversed marcozy bind.

i.e.
    1. c4 c5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. g3 d5 4. cxd5 Nxd5 5. Bg2 Nc7 When black will continue with Nc6 and e5.

Against 1. d4 I like the clear plans provided by the benko gambit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree