1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 14:42
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    Lev Alburt has made a similar claim in the introduction to his Chess Training Pocket Book (not entirely sure on the title). Unfortunately, I'm not sure which dozen or so positions he feels are the ones that you need to know. If chess could be reduced to even 1000 positions that you must know and understand to master, wouldn't someone have published that book already?
    The title is Chess Training Pocket Book: 300 Most Important Positions and Ideas (1997). Alburt wrote:

"To be a strong player, you do not need to know hundreds of King and Pawn endgame positions--but only 12 key positions. Of course they have to be the right positions--and they're in this book" (9).

The text is designed to provide the essential knowledge necessary for a player to become a strong tournament player (Category 1 in the old Soviet system, or USCF A Class in today's American system).

I studied Alburt's book, working through all the problems in this book several times. I reached a USCF rating in the high 1900s. Now, to reach the next level, I am learning all of the 48 blue diagrams in the king and pawn chapter of Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, as well as many other positions.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 20:10
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Essential endgame positions...

#1 Has to be complete understanding of K+P vs K. You have to be completely proficient at winning when it's a won position and drawing when it's a drawn one.

My vote for #2 is this one:
    [fen]6Q1/7K/8/8/8/8/2kp4/8[/fen]
    White to play and win

The rook and pawn endings are very important and will gain you many more extr ...[text shortened]... t's amazing how many endings end up with king and rook each and one side with an extra pawn.
    I remember this one. Qc4+ and Qd3 to stop pawn from queening. Then keep forcing the Black king behind the pawn and pinning the pawn while bringing the White king closer whenever the Black king is blocking the queening square. Then eventually the White king will be close enough to support the capture of the black pawn.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 15:01
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I remember this one. Qc4+ and Qd3 to stop pawn from queening. Then keep forcing the Black king behind the pawn and pinning the pawn while bringing the White king closer whenever the Black king is blocking the queening square. Then eventually the White king will be close enough to support the capture of the black pawn.
    You want to force Black's king in front of, not behind, its own pawn.

Jeremy Silman tells a funny story about this ending in Silman's Complete Endgame Course.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 16:24
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    You want to force Black's king in front of, not behind, its own pawn.

Jeremy Silman tells a funny story about this ending in Silman's Complete Endgame Course.
    Yes, of course, I was thinking of it from White's point of view. In any event, I obviously mean that Black must be forced to block his own pawn from queening.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 18:17
    Yes, of course, I was thinking of it from White's point of view. In any event, I obviously mean that Black must be forced to block his own pawn from queening.
    If that's what you meant, why not say it? Even from White's side, it is essential to comprehend the direction that Black's pawns are moving.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 02:22
    If that's what you meant, why not say it? Even from White's side, it is essential to comprehend the direction that Black's pawns are moving.
    Because I am a redneck. 😏
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 05:11
    Because I am a redneck. 😏
    Most of the folks where I live are rednecks. They usually say what they mean.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 12:05
    Most of the folks where I live are rednecks. They usually say what they mean.
    I tried to say what I mean, but it didn't come out that way. I guess it is my slow thought process that can't keep up with the rest of me. Or maybe I could blame it on someone that changed the word on me. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree