1. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 20:17
    ... compared to the rest of your game? Just out of interest.

For the record - mine's worse.
  2. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 21:39
    I know how to win with the basic endgames, K+Q v K, K+R v K. I know enough about the close and distant opposition, triangulation, the square of the pawn, waiting moves, and zugzwang so I can play K + p v K.

Conversely I can apply all of those against my opponent's efforts to win if I am on the weaker side of an endgame. I try to remember to watch for stalemate and 3-fold repetition both from my side if I'm down or my opponent's if I'm up.

One skill I wish I had more of is knowing <when> to move the game towards the endgame to your advantage and when to stay in the middle game.
  3. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 15:41
    There used to be a group on here (PCT) that was managed by petrovitch. The group offered systematic endgame training that was very good. The nice thing about the structure was that as students developed a mastery of certain positions, they went on to teach others about them, so it perpetuated itself. During the time that I was inactive here, the group appears to have fallen apart. I don't know what led to its demise, unfortunately.

Anyway, I suspect endgames are an area that we could all (most of us anyway) use mroe work on. I like Pandolfini's Endgame Course better than most critics seem to for fundamentals. I like Silman's Complete Endgame Course for a bridge to more advanced concepts. I like Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual for reference and concepts well above my level of understanding.

Hope this is helpful.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 19:23
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    I know how to win with the basic endgames, K+Q v K, K+R v K. I know enough about the close and distant opposition, triangulation, the square of the pawn, waiting moves, and zugzwang so I can play K + p v K.

Conversely I can apply all of those against my opponent's efforts to win if I am on the weaker side of an endgame. I try to remember to watch for s ...[text shortened]... to move the game towards the endgame to your advantage and when to stay in the middle game.
    considering the 3-rep rule, does RHP automatically draw the game when that happens?
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 02:35
    Originally posted by vivify
    ...considering the 3-rep rule, does RHP automatically draw the game when that happens?...
    No, you have to claim it. See the selection "claim draw".
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 06:27
    When I joined RHP my endgame was terrible - I had to win the game in the middle game or I lost. However, just having more time to study the positions on this site improved my end game. Also then doing some reading (Silman Complete endgame course was great). Now I can turn games around from lost positions to draws or wins in the endgame. Still a long way to go but I really enjoy the endgame now.
  7. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 09:15
    Originally posted by raiox
    ...Now I can turn games around from lost positions to draws or wins in the endgame. Still a long way to go but I really enjoy the endgame now.
    Did you learn to win them then learn to enjoy them or was it the other way around?
  8. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 15:02
    it is unquestionably my strength...... my only strength
  9. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 18:16
    Originally posted by queenabber
    it is unquestionably my strength...... my only strength
    Having checked your rating I'm reaching for an endgame book!
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 18:54
    Originally posted by hunterknox
    Did you learn to win them then learn to enjoy them or was it the other way around?
    I enjoyed learning about endgames and seeing their beauty. A shame that I can still see and understand only a small part of the subtlety of the endgame.
  11. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 19:24
    Originally posted by hunterknox
    Having checked your rating I'm reaching for an endgame book!
    smile!
    I was lucky as I had an extremely good teacher. Back in the early 1990s when I played OTB, at my club was one of the best endgame players in Britain. (eg he had a magazine column on endings, at the time had scored 5.5/6 with R+B v R, beat an IM in 2B v N and used take bets that he could mate you with 2N v P in under 2 min) A fair bit rubbed off
  12. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 20:29
    "he could mate you with 2N v P in under 2 min" - depends on where the pawn is!
    Just my 2 cents worth on the subject:
    Early in my chess study I studied 1.) tactics and chess problems from real games (I never realy like the "composed" type problems). Lots of problems!
    2.) Openings to the point I wouldn't get crushed or surprised - understand the thematic points of the openings you select - almost all openings are sound - just find the ones that fit your style.
    3.) I concentrated on endgames! I considered my endgame play about 200+ points higher than the other aspects of my game - friends and other players tended to agree. I found Troitzky's books and Andre Cheron's books early on and studied them a lot.
    Also, knowing your endgames helps you formulate your planning in the middle game.
    Weakest part of my game - closed type games and very positional games - although knowing endgames helps one in any type of middle game.
  13. Standard memberpatrickrutgers
    Pale Yellow Star!
    Minneapolis
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 21:43
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    There used to be a group on here (PCT) that was managed by petrovitch. The group offered systematic endgame training that was very good. The nice thing about the structure was that as students developed a mastery of certain positions, they went on to teach others about them, so it perpetuated itself. During the time that I was inactive here, the group appears to have fallen apart. I don't know what led to its demise, unfortunately.

Club 51
    Personal Chess Training. I loved that club!
  14. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 21:54
    "he could mate you with 2N v P in under 2 min" - depends on where the pawn is!

that was a given!
  15. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 22:14
    The answer to the general question is convert to endgame when there is no more advantage (including starting to suffer disadvantages). Obviously, how well you can play an endgame then determines what happens.

Silly question but by confidence if all pawns in starting positions who would expect to win king and 7 pawns v king and 8. Further question, should you win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree