How many times in a row can you say check in chess

How many times in a row can you say check in chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ro

Moves
12 Jan 12

Originally posted by jimp
i talking about the rules,not for the game i am playing.the question is if you can claim a win after a specific number of checks in a row.
This is not a criticism of you, as I said before, but you are playing a game in which this situation is occurring. And the terms of service prohibit assistance by a third party while a game is in progress.

If I were playing a game where I was material down, my opponent was not aware of the 3 fold repetition rule, I might try and check him repeatedly and see what happens. He might try one way to get out the checks, realise that doesn't work, try another way (repeating a position) and so on, thinking he has an indefinite amount of time to find the right route to victory.

I think I would be a bit upset if he said "Can this guy just keep checking me indefinitely when he is clearly not trying to win" and someone said "yes, as he might be playing for 3 fold repetition to get a draw". If that person then changed his strategy to avoid the 3rd repetition, and won the game, then he would have benefitted from outside assistance.

This may seem a bit pedantic (Greenpawn will attest to fact that it is part of my nature!) but I think that knowing the rules is part of any game, and that if you don't, and are playing a competitive game where outside help is prohibited, then the opponent should be allowed to take full advantage of this. The rules of chess are pretty short compared to most games.

As I say, no offence was intended, and I will probably get flamed for being a pedantic so and so (would be the first time
😉).

t

Moves
13 Jan 12

Originally posted by Rank outsider
This may seem a bit pedantic
no flaming, but it is a bit pedantic, yes.