1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 07:58
    At my chess club, there are a handful of people that look over 65 and I'm not sure what type of game to adopt against them. I played my usual openings so far and I've done well. However, would starting high tactical complications very early be an easier bet to win? Has anyone had experience with this?

There also several people under 18 and I've done well there too with my usual openings. However, I'm wondering if it's better to play very positionally against them. After all, positional chess tends to be harder to master quickly.

I'd appreciate any feedback,
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:01
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    At my chess club, there are a handful of people that look over 65 and I'm not sure what type of game to adopt against them. I played my usual openings so far and I've done well. However, would starting high tactical complications very early be an easier bet to win? Has anyone had experience with this?

There also several people under 18 and I've done w ...[text shortened]... ll, positional chess tends to be harder to master quickly.

I thinks its best just to play to your style.
  3. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:04

There also several people under 18 and I've done w ...[text shortened]... ll, positional chess tends to be harder to master quickly.

Hey!

What do you consider "old"??

Dave
    ( who is 35 )
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:131 edit

There also several people under 18 and I've done w ll, positional chess tends to be harder to master quickly.

You would probably classify me as "old" and I would not recommend you going for tactical complications unless you wish to be beaten.

Play all opponents the same regardless of age. There are many "young" and "inexperienced" players who have upset me over the years because I played differently against them expecting a quick kill.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:14
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    You would probably classify me as "old" and I would not recommend you going for tactical complications unless you wish to be beaten.
    you are over 65?
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:15
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    you are over 65?
    No, I'm 54.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:17
    No, I'm 54.
    Woah! I thought that you were in 30s... 40s at the most.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:19
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Woah! I thought that you were in 30s... 40s at the most.
    I like to think I am. My wife always tells me to grow up.
  9. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:22
    Same here

Dave

Who yells loudly!! I'm not gonna!

opps...she woke up...now I am in trouble
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:22
    hehehe...😵
  11. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 10:45
    And I'm still trying to at 73, but with little success, so my wife tells me.
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 11:06
    It makes more sense to play to your own strengths than to try guessing what your opponent's weaknesses are and to play to those. If you happen to know what their weaknesses are, then they might be worth considering.
  13. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 11:08

I agree with the others when they suggest that you not normally change your playing style based on the age of your opponent.

The only edge that you might have against an old opponent is in the area of concentration. Older players have a harder time concentrating for sustained periods of time. So it's not unusual for an old person to play worse near the end of a long playing day. (That would also apply to the late rounds in a one-day tournament.) At the end of a long day of concentrating, old guys' brains tend to just get fried, and they're more prone to make mistakes.

So if you find yourself playing an old person late in the day, you might try to prolong the game, as long as you don't have to change your style or make inferior moves in the process. So if you can't quite decide whether it's time for you to resign a game, you might want to keep playing a bit longer than normal, hoping for a "concentration" blunder by your opponent. Or, if you can't decide between a simplifying move or a move that maintains tension or complications, you might want to choose the latter.
  14. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 11:51
    when you play OTB long games are you focused all the time?
    as I use to stand up and walk and relax and look at other boards after almost each of my moves...
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 12:26
    Originally posted by vipiu
    when you play OTB long games are you focused all the time?
    as I use to stand up and walk and relax and look at other boards after almost each of my moves...
    -- ditto --

Once I get into the game I always walk around and relax after most moves, have a non alcoholic drink and go to the toilet as you never know what assistance you can get there. 😉

I prefer a game that is 2 hours each for so 40 moves and 20 moves per hour thereafter. The longer time limits improves my play significantly and I focus for the duration and use it. I am not tired out.

In fact I find the opposite applies. Young players often go to the bar afterwards, have a few too many drinks and wake up tired with a hangover. I go home get to bed early and get a good nights sleep ready to thrash my hung over opponent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree