Fics blitz - 1225
    Fics standard - 1823
    Playchess blitz - 1342

Maybe I should play 21/21.
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 09:19
    Aww... why is it that never some RHP-1500 comes on here who has 2200+, but is it always the other way around? 😛
  3. Joined
    23 Jan '09
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 09:33
    And so what all this seems to be leading towards is that when you cannot see how an on line opponent is deriving their moves you have only the moves themselves as the evidence of what may be happening.

Other things such as "apparent chess knowledge" "apparent speed of reply" "gameload" may be relevant but are less meaningful, and may not be known to an investigator not involved in the actual game.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 16:52
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Aww... why is it that never some RHP-1500 comes on here who has 2200+, but is it always the other way around? 😛
    jusuh

1615 RHP
    2156 otb blitz

if I remember right, his fics/playchess ratings were around 2200-2300.

but yeah, it's very rare (as far as I know).
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 17:01
    Originally posted by wormwood
    jusuh

1615 RHP
    2156 otb blitz

if I remember right, his fics/playchess ratings were around 2200-2300.

but yeah, it's very rare (as far as I know).
    But
    1) he's a completely inactive user, hasn't moved in over two years (I know I haven't in 100 days either)
    2) He's +28-5=7; moreover 2 of the 5 losses were by timeout, not really representative, it only means his rating should be on the rise
    3) I bet he has played more than 40 games on those other sites
    eh...
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 17:011 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I also know, and I'm sure other players do as well, some very good players
    who are quite bad a blitz, it just does not suit them. It means nothing.

Cheats:
    Some are so blatant you get the impression they do it just for a laugh.
    I'm sure the no profile, non-posters do.
    I wouldn't call myself a very good player, but there's usually a discrepancy of 500~800 points between my blitz and standard rating in whatever platform I play.
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 17:11
    Originally posted by philidor position
    I wouldn't call myself a very good player, but there's usually a discrepancy of 500~800 points between my blitz and standard rating in whatever platform I play.
    There's quite a variety of playing strength depending on the playing accomodation/interface indeed
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 17:58
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    But
    1) he's a completely inactive user, hasn't moved in over two years (I know I haven't in 100 days either)
    2) He's +28-5=7; moreover 2 of the 5 losses were by timeout, not really representative, it only means his rating should be on the rise
    3) I bet he has played more than 40 games on those other sites
    eh...
    yeah, there are of course reasons. and he obviously COULD have done much better had he put in the effort. but the fact is, he didn't make the necessary effort, and ended up with relatively stable 1600-rating.

and he was at least almost as good at blitz 2 years ago as he's now, as far as I know. he's always done very well in otb blitz tournaments. the kid just kills almost every tournament. and I don't think he's even trained in years, but he does play speed chess tournaments a lot.
  9. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 18:15
    Originally posted by Quiet Interlude
    And so what all this seems to be leading towards is that when you cannot see how an on line opponent is deriving their moves you have only the moves themselves as the evidence of what may be happening.

Other things such as "apparent chess knowledge" "apparent speed of reply" "gameload" may be relevant but are less meaningful, and may not be known to an investigator not involved in the actual game.
    Relevant but less meaningful? Let us take the hypothetical example of onlinechamp who joins in Jan 2010. On his profile he states "Hi, I'm onlinechamp and i starting to learnt how to play chess. I enjoying chess very much."

His games in Jan-Mar 2010 are 1000-1300 level displaying no knowledge of chess (as expected). Then from April to Jun 2010 he improves dramatically beating people 1900-2200. What do you then tell us? "Apparent chess knowledge", "apparent speed of reply", "gameload" are not meaningful in explaining this rapid improvement? Bollocks mate.
  10. Joined
    23 Jan '09
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 20:34
    Originally posted by CCNoob
    Relevant but less meaningful? Let us take the hypothetical example of [b]onlinechamp who joins in Jan 2010. On his profile he states "Hi, I'm onlinechamp and i starting to learnt how to play chess. I enjoying chess very much."

His games in Jan-Mar 2010 are 1000-1300 level displaying no knowledge of chess (as expected). Then from April to Jun 201 ...[text shortened]... ly", "gameload" are not meaningful in explaining this rapid improvement? Bollocks mate.[/b]
    The thread is about engine cheats.

Your scenario could equally apply to a player receiving elite human assistance.
  11. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 22:44
    Originally posted by Quiet Interlude
    The thread is about [b]engine cheats.

Your scenario could equally apply to a player receiving elite human assistance.[/b]
    Still 3b. Away with 'em

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree