1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '12 17:112 edits
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Oh, okay, I stand corrected then. My apologies. Please let us know when you've finished your treatment of endgame principles. I can't wait to learn about making promotion and ultimately, making checkmate.
    no need to apologise, simply kiss my ruby encrusted ring and shuffle off backwards
    bowing your head as you go. One makes the football team, in that they have reached
    the goal of ascertaining a position on the football team, not that they have physically
    made a football team. I realise that pointing out dogmatic thinking may be painful,
    never the less, you stand corrected and have taken your medicine well.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '12 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]****** INTERLUDE ******

Hi if you have just joined this thread then a quick update just to bring you up to speed.

Savage joins the thread opening with the "No offense, but ..." gambit.
    (you can gues what follows. )

Since then the Robbie v Savage insults have been going back and forth.

You have joined at the bit where Robbie thinks Savage is a
    WWII Submarine Commander in possession of a mind ray.[/b]
    LOL, will Doc Savage return from the circus and extract Robbies thoughts and convert
    them into facts with his mind ray hidden high in the hills, will Natural science make the
    football team with Papier-mâché and pipe cleaners, will Shallow Blue learn to Bhangra
    Punjabi style and publicly admit that Glaswegian is a distinct language? Will the
    gentleman Paul Legget reveal a darker side and be sucked into the morass of insults
    and counter insults? find out in next weeks episode of Chess only, the poisoned chalice!
    with your host GP!
  3. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    07 May '12 18:56
    Well, e4 is best. As said by the most talented player ever, hedonist(On regard that he is right handed I might add. ).

Wait a minute, that's my drinking hand, so it must be d4. But I have a fag in that hand so it must be.....

Nh3 and hope you win before the supositry kicks in.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 May '12 20:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    [Will the gentleman Paul Legget reveal a darker side and be sucked into the morass of insults and counter insults? find out in next weeks episode of Chess only, the poisoned chalice!
    with your host GP![/b]
    On more than one occasion, I have insulted the game merely by sitting down at the board.
    And no one has called me a gentleman since grocery store doors started opening by themselves.
  5. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    07 May '12 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no need to apologise, simply kiss my ruby encrusted ring and shuffle off backwards
    bowing your head as you go. One makes the football team, in that they have reached
    the goal of ascertaining a position on the football team, not that they have physically
    made a football team. I realise that pointing out dogmatic thinking may be painful,
    never the less, you stand corrected and have taken your medicine well.
    It amuses me that you think you're making yourself look good in this thread, and that you're making everyone who's against you look silly. I'm going to give you a bunch of phrases which all feature the word "make", and I'd like you to decide what they all have in common (other than "attaining a goal" ).

a high school student: "I made the football team!"
    a lawyer: "I made partner!"
    a sports fan: "Our team made the playoffs!"
    a proud parent: "My son's recital made the paper!"

scroll down for the answer....

be honest, you thought you'd have to scroll a lot farther.....

Anyway, all of those statements have one thing in common: they imply that the subject of the sentence, was accepted into a group. The high school student was accepted and became part of the team. The lawyer was accepted into a law firm as a partner. The team performed well enough to be included among the teams that participate in the postseason. The kid's recital was newsworthy enough to be included in the paper among the other stories of the day. That's what "make" actually means, in the context in which you're trying to use it. Inclusion. Not achievement. Otherwise, "I made first place," would sound correct. And be honest with yourself.....it doesn't.

This is to say nothing of the fact that castling could hardly even be considered an achievement. You could do it as early as move 4, and your opponent can't stop you.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '12 21:371 edit
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    It amuses me that you think you're making yourself look good in this thread, and that you're making everyone who's against you look silly. I'm going to give you a bunch of phrases which all feature the word "make", and I'd like you to decide what they all have in common (other than "attaining a goal" ).

a high school student: "I made the football ou could do it as early as move 4, and your opponent can't stop you.
    Its amuses you, what do you think I am some performing monkey on a street organ here
    for your entertainment, I provided the reasons why i use the term, 'making castling', its
    one of the goals of my openings for beginners and to make castling has connotations
    of achievement. Such pedantry as you have to offer with its justification in that 'all are
    part of a team', is fundamentally flawed, why? because if I make the finish line of a
    race I may do it as an individual and my making the finish is not dependent on anyone
    else, is it, sigh the wheels from your wagon are laying on the forum floor while the
    dogs howl at twilight and the caravan trundles on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree