1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 05:59
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    [b]I was interested in applying universal opening principles which appeared to me were applicable in any situation.

There is no principle in chess, applicable in any situation, without exceptions.[/b]
    ah yes but this is not what i have stated, naturally there are exceptions, or rather
    other principles which have greater bearing on the position depending upon the
    dynamics and which modify or in some instances completely over rule other
    principles. My favorite being the Fischer v Petrosian game where Fischer exchanged
    an active knight for a so called bad bishop so that he could penetrate the seventh
    with his rooks. In my humble example the controversy arose over the move Nc3,
    demonstrating various principles, development of the pieces, activation of the least
    active piece, influence over the center, this was challenged by the assertion that f3
    was also a viable alternative which demonstrated the principle of restriction, which it
    is and did, the f6 knight is now reduced to a passive piece. Thus this is not so much
    an exception simply as the application of a different principle and an example of
    where one principle may over rule that of another. Now we are left with exceptions,
    but even this is not so easy to express in a concrete way, for example what is the
    exception to the principle of development? non development? why and for what
    reason? there must be a reason otherwise its an unprincipled choice. Indeed
    providing exceptions may be so extensive and dependent upon specific dynamics
    that it could be said to fall outwith the term general opening principles.
  2. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 15:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It's so funny that everyone is talking about another type of beginner, yes indeed, i was
    going to do a how to play a middle game based upon principles but the controversy and
    hostility, with a few welcome exceptions, has put me off the idea for ever.
    please do!!!!

I would sooooo love to read the discussion it would generate 😀
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 20:241 edit
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    please do!!!!

No way, I choose life! Nah only kidding Ill see what i can do but most of the stuff i
    would post would be about weak squares, potentially weak squares and pawn
    structures, GP covered it in his previous blog using examples from RHP games
    illustrating the way strong players create weaknesses and plan around those
    weaknesses. The only thing i could offer would be to make it simple to understand,
    after all im a pretty lowly rated player.
  4. e4
    Moves
    26 Apr '12 23:52
    "illustrating the way strong players create weaknesses and plan around those
    weaknesses. "

That is what good players do v good players. Sadly the lads in the games
    I used created their own weakness without any forcing.
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 00:44
    The most common theme in amateur chess is the "lashing out" from a cramped or weak position instead of putting up maximum opposition.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 11:161 edit
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    please do!!!!

lol, you should read my hate mail first! 🙂
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '12 13:40
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    The most common theme in amateur chess is the "lashing out" from a cramped or weak position instead of putting up maximum opposition.
    an exemplary game please.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 18:07
    How about these rules for beginners:

Increase your mobility
    Increase your pressure of the center of the board.
    Pawns can't move backwards so be careful not to create holes on your side of the board.
    King safety
    Try to decrease your opponent's mobility and control the the center of the board.

I think these would be generally good ideas which are useful throughout the game.

Rules like never move the same piece twice can be derived by the basic idea of increasing mobility.

Castling fits under king safety and not moving a king's pawn falls under the ideas of king safety and pawns can't move backwards.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '12 07:47
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How about these rules for beginners:

Increase your mobility
    Increase your pressure of the center of the board.
    Pawns can't move backwards so be careful not to create holes on your side of the board.
    King safety
    Try to decrease your opponent's mobility and control the the center of the board.

I think these would be generally good ideas which are u ...[text shortened]... ot moving a king's pawn falls under the ideas of king safety and pawns can't move backwards.
    actually mobility is probably they most important principle and difficulties usually arise
    because of lack of it. How to illustrate it though to beginners is rather a difficult
    exercise me thinks, as i dont really fully understand it myself, plus one would need
    extensive illustrated games of the principles depending upon the dynamics of the
    position. Probably Silmans thinking technique with its emphasis on imbalances is about
    as concise and easily understandable a system of thinking that one can get to illustrate
    this. From the top of my head i remember it was based upon, development, control of
    key files and squares, pawn structure, initiative, minor piece imbalances, material
    imbalances and space.
  10. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    01 May '12 13:391 edit
    Prior to Silman, there were excellent primers authored long ago by Lasker, Capablanca, Tarrasch, and even Larry Evans. So if you need to decide on chess basics for aspiring chess players, you can't go wrong following the outline found in these primers.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 May '12 21:37
    actually mobility is probably they most important principle and difficulties usually arise
    because of lack of it. How to illustrate it though to beginners is rather a difficult
    exercise me thinks, as i dont really fully understand it myself, plus one would need
    extensive illustrated games of the principles depending upon the dynamics of the
    ...[text shortened]... and squares, pawn structure, initiative, minor piece imbalances, material
    imbalances and space.
    I think the basics of mobility (having your pieces covering as many squares as possible) is pretty easy to teach. It explains why you would not move your pawn in front of your bishop blocking one of its diagonals. I've seen this happen more than once for a beginner. The idea of freeing up your pieces to cover as much of the board as possible just doesn't occur to them. If a beginner starts looking at all the squares he can reach, it might help him to start seeing all the squares his opponent can reach. Simply not giving up material is one of the biggest thing a beginner can learn.
  12. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    04 May '12 09:211 edit
    ...[text shortened]... and squares, pawn structure, initiative, minor piece imbalances, material
    imbalances and space.
    The last thing any chess player needs is Jeremy Silman's thinking technique, much less a beginner.

There is a simple way of showing a beginner how a chess game is opened, and that's studying the games of Paul Morphy, objectively the best player ever.

This was the first game I ever memorized. It was an odds game, and actually the A rook wasn't on the board.

13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 May '12 23:38
    I just move the pieces and hope I don't mess up. 😞
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '12 07:333 edits
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    The last thing any chess player needs is Jeremy Silman's thinking technique, much less a beginner.

There is a simple way of showing a beginner how a chess game is opened, and that's studying the games of Paul Morphy, objectively the best player ever.

This was the first game I ever memorized. It was an odds game, and actually the A rook wasn't on the b m positional superiority} Ke7 12.Ng6+ Kxf7 13.Nxh8# 1-0[/pgn]
    Meh its not a bad idea, A first book of Morphy written by Frisco Del Rosario does just
    that, but i still think my original post is better as it provides universal principles which
    the beginner can understand and apply in any position, is absolutely crystal clear and
    simple to understand, whereas your example waits until move five to explain anything,
    the time it took my beginner to make four weakening pawn moves. Also i do not think
    its a waste of time teaching a beginner positional concepts, Silman himself argues that
    a six year old girl was able to understand that rooks belong behind passed pawns in
    reply to a a similar statement, that being that its useless to teach beginners these
    elements.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '12 07:461 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I think the basics of mobility (having your pieces covering as many squares as possible) is pretty easy to teach. It explains why you would not move your pawn in front of your bishop blocking one of its diagonals. I've seen this happen more than once for a beginner. The idea of freeing up your pieces to cover as much of the board as possible just doesn't o ...[text shortened]... nt can reach. Simply not giving up material is one of the biggest thing a beginner can learn.
    this is the principle of maximum activity, i thought you were making reference to some
    mysterious and unreachable concept that i was not aware of or did not fully
    understand, now its clear, thanks. Yes i must have dropped a thousand million pieces
    placing them on unprotected squares where they were susceptible to a tactic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree