1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 01:00
    Ok, I have it close enough I can't move the knight over 1...but it's good enough.

Now, step 2, show Everyone, and ask, "what is the name of this defense?"
  2. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 04:542 edits
    Originally posted by zintieriv
    but sometimes we dont lose the game .... Game 2954323 🙂
    65. Qe8+ picks up the rook and I assume the ending is won.
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 06:00
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    ???
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 06:05
    But of course Kb2.

Failed by my 5 analysis...again. 🙁
  5. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:50
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Looks to me that black played it wrong. Theres always hope in your particular position, but in hopeless positions whats the use?
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 17:09
    Originally posted by laphroaig
    i too dislike people who don't resign when they should do it. i have played with intermediate players (1400-1600) who insist on playing on with a rock or 3 pawns behind. quite boring imho, but it's their right.

anyway, to clear some misconceptions (i have really heard those questions from friends of mine):
    - it dosn't matter if you ressign or get matte ...[text shortened]... in 4 movs or in 100 moves or resign, it is still a loss (see faq on how rating is computed).
    When my opponent is a pawn up, I usually keep a rock behind in case he improves his advantage. (That way I can club him.)
  7. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 17:21
    I generally have no problem resigning.
    But I do become stubborn when I get in game messages like...

"You can't stop me now, You're going down, This one's mine" etc.

Then I turn into a ssssssnnnnnnaaaaaaaaail.... my apologies.

J
  8. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 17:39
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I once resigned a game by tipping over the table and storming out of the room. It wasn't the proudest moment of my life, but in my defence I did go back five minutes later and apologise.
    And presumably you picked up the pieces and arighted the table?
  9. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 17:43
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    I consider it rude if my opponent doesn't resign a lost game. Whether you resign, or get mated, you still lose. You still lose the same amount of points.
    Resign = Lose
    Don't resign = chance (however small) of not losing and learning something.

I consider it rude that some people tell others when they should resign.
  10. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 18:13
    As several contributers have pointed out, this topic comes up repeatedly. For a suggested reasonable response see in the thread
    'when do you properly resign ?' my post of 30 Dec '06 15:31.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 23:53
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Resign = Lose
    Don't resign = chance (however small) of not losing and learning something.

I consider it rude that some people tell others when they should resign.
    I have to agree with you on that last part about it being a bit rude for asking your opponent to resign...

If your opponent has an easily won position, then you're lost and the game is over; you just aren't willing to accept it

Nobody likes to lose, but everyone does. Just get over it and know when to call it quits.

The only flaw, is that everyone has their own opinion of what is 'clearly winning'. IF you're down a piece with no counterplay, you're dead. If you've got decent counterplay, then perhaps its worth playing on.

Endgames, I'd say resign if your opponent can win it easily. For example, say you're down a rook for nothing in an endgame, that's basically worth resigning (all you'll learn is that rooks eat pawns if you continue...) but if you're down 1-2 pawns in an opposite Bishop endgame, then perhaps it's worth playing out.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 23:57
    If I cared enough, I'd try to remember all your names so that I would never resign to you. In fact, I'd waste as much of your time as possible because I don't like the attitude displayed. It is extremely patronizing to tell other people when they should resign.
  13. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 11:36
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If I cared enough, I'd try to remember all your names so that I would never resign to you. In fact, I'd waste as much of your time as possible because I don't like the attitude displayed. It is extremely patronizing to tell other people when they should resign.
    No one is "telling" anyone they must resign, its a question of respect and sportsmanship in my view. As a previous person said, " maybe you just can't accept the fact you lost so you want some revenge? I have no attitude, but you sure are displaying one! Your the type I dont want to play because when you lose your a sore loser, like Al Gore remember him?😏
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 11:401 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    edit: sorry, I missread your name! 😀 I should get some sleep now...
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 11:421 edit
    Nothing to see here.

Well, ok, here's some boobies: (o Y o)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree