1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:44
    Originally posted by Ramned
    the only "unacceptable" resignation is to do so the move before an inevitable checkmate.
    Why?
  2. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:44
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It's easy to say "resign when all is totally lost", but not so easy to define what 'totally lost' is.
    totally lost is when your opponent has it to where he's got a forced mate (he keeps checking your king into forced positions, then mate)

Otherwise, you are not totally lost, you can still draw.
  3. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:46
    the only "unacceptable" resignation is to do so the move before an inevitable checkmate.
    The pros do this all the time. Forced mate in 1 or 2 and they resign.
  4. Joined
    01 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:08
    How do you get those links for games? Also, how do people post chess diagrams?
  5. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:26
    Playing on in the lower ranks is not always just about "not knowing when to resign" but can also be about simply being optimistic or (for some) simply hoping for a blunder or two. When playing against low rated players (such as I) blunders can still happen often and allow a draw by stalemate (I have done this when making quick moves at work 😳 ) or even a comeback, even when a queen or more down.

Sometimes lower rated player can be too optimistic for sure but how do anyone know for certain that a game is lost (excluding forced mates)? This is something which all players learn with experience but you need to let them learn this for themselves.

Personally I never play on just "hoping" for my opponent to make a blunder but I do play on when I can see a slim chance of getting back into the game by using my knowledge and (limited) skills. Sometimes I still win and sometimes i don't, resigning just for being behind would mean that i would never have won any of them.
  6. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:281 edit
    Originally posted by krim
    you will find the game/user/thread links here in the FAQ

Chess Diagrams : Thread 53742.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:32
    I once resigned a game by tipping over the table and storming out of the room. It wasn't the proudest moment of my life, but in my defence I did go back five minutes later and apologise.
  8. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:329 edits
    Originally posted by krim
    GREAT QUESTION with the FENs!!! I've been wanting to post this FEN forever!!!

White: 1) Pawn to D4, 2) Pawn to E4 3) Knight to f3
    Black: 1) Pawn to g6, 2) Pawn to d6 3) bishop to g7

Someone, please, I beg post that formation as a FEN. PLEASE!!!

I'll reward you for bringing that up!! Here's game:
    [gid]put in game id[/gid] EX. Game 288000
  9. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:32
    I've played against many opponents who have blundered the end game and reveresed a seemingly bad situation for me. However, this usually happens to players who are actually worse than me. If I know an opponent knows how to finish an end game properly, then I'll resign without question. If I see that he's fumbled his chances in previous games, then I'll stick on until he actually mates.
  10. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:381 edit
    GREAT QUESTION with the FENs!!! I've been wanting to post this FEN forever!!!

White: 1) Pawn to D4, 2) Pawn to E4 3) Knight to f3
    Black: 1) Pawn to g6, 2) Pawn to d6 3) bishop to g7

Someone, please, I beg post that formation as a FEN. PLEASE!!!

I'll reward you for bringing that up!! Here's game:
    [gid]put in game id[/gid] EX. Game 288000
    I am having loads of fun watching you try that lol

seriously dude - read my thread (posted above) to see how its done.

if you want to write one without the board then dont put in the [ fen ] part

or if you must, use spaces like i did
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:42
    totally lost is when your opponent has it to where he's got a forced mate (he keeps checking your king into forced positions, then mate)

Otherwise, you are not totally lost, you can still draw.
    Sure, that definition works for 1400-ish players. At the 2000 level, they'll probably define 'totally lost' as being down a piece without compensation. It all depends on the strength of the players. Obviously, the higher up you go, the less advantage that is needed to win.
  12. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:43
    Originally posted by Armagoden
    I am not sure many newcomers or novices know how to resign a game. Now I know it's nice to play it out to the end sometimes, but when all is totally lost come on already resign and get on to a new game.
    Be a gentleman congratulate your opponent and gracefully resign. Its easy just type a message like: Great game enjoy it, congrats.
    and then press the ...[text shortened]... always nice to start a new game and forget the old one you just lost. More on as they say. LOL
    Rubbish...for example Game 2230781

I was playing this game and my opponent was rated over 1800 at the time, my average rating is about 1400 (a novice). According to you I should have resigned on move 17 when it was impossible to prevent the mate in 1. Somehow though my opponent blundered the game away. The ratings difference gave me a 1 in 16 chance of victory at the start so by your logic the pgn should have looked like this -

1.d4 Nf6
    2. resignation 0-1
  13. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:4319 edits
    Originally posted by MCA
    I am having loads of fun watching you try that lol

seriously dude - read my thread (posted above) to see how its done.

if you want to write one without the board then dont put in the [ fen ] part

or if you must, use spaces like i did
    LOL it is hilarious. In the thread entitled, Opening Question in this forum, I tried it 17 times

lol 😵

I got the hang of it, I figured how to set up the original position 😏

14. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:45
    Sometimes a polite word to your opponent and they will resign, other times they become indignant and draw the game out. As a subsciber it usually doesn't bother me. However a 1500 and I were playing out a rook + king vrs. rook (we each had two pawns that were locked up and ignored) recently. I asked him why he continued to play, he agreed it was silly and resigned (I had pushed him to the edge of the board and was 4 moves from mate).

Another time, I was up a knight which I sacced for a pawn and stated that I could queen one of my two pawns without moving my king (he was a 1200 and I thought it was a neat endgame to know). He came back with "In other words, resign please." which he promptly did...

Anyway, my whole point is to either try talking to the "offenders", or just start another game while you wait for that one to finish.
  15. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:56
    LOL it is hilarious. In the thread entitled, Opening Question in this forum, I tried it 17 times

lol 😵

I got the hang of it, I figured how to set up the original position 😏

[fen]rnbqk1nr/ppp1ppbp/3p2p1/8/3PP2/6N3/PPP2PPP/RNBQKB1R[/fen]
    LOL STILL TRYING, getting close!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree