1. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:31
    I am not sure many newcomers or novices know how to resign a game. Now I know it's nice to play it out to the end sometimes, but when all is totally lost come on already resign and get on to a new game.
    Be a gentleman congratulate your opponent and gracefully resign. Its easy just type a message like: Great game enjoy it, congrats.
    and then press the resign button.
    Its always nice to start a new game and forget the old one you just lost. More on as they say. LOL
  2. Joined
    05 Dec '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:44
    i too dislike people who don't resign when they should do it. i have played with intermediate players (1400-1600) who insist on playing on with a rock or 3 pawns behind. quite boring imho, but it's their right.

anyway, to clear some misconceptions (i have really heard those questions from friends of mine):
    - it dosn't matter if you ressign or get matted on table. score is still 0-1.
    - it doesn't matter for rating if you loose a game in 4 movs or in 100 moves or resign, it is still a loss (see faq on how rating is computed).
  3. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:49
    It's not disliking them, its the sportmanship of Chess. As in all contests there just are certain ethics to follow and as always the honor of being a respectful player to your opponents. Thats all just simple ethics or should we same "table manners." LOL😀
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:49
    if I had an euro for every thread a newcomer starts about people not resigning when he'd like them to...
  5. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:54
    Originally posted by wormwood
    if I had an euro for every thread a newcomer starts about people not resigning when he'd like them to...
    I've been on these forums for 4 weeks and I've seen 8 of these threads so far.

There is no such thing as manners on the internet. And resignation is a choice. If he wants to keep fighting, he can do what he wants.
  6. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:58
    U.S. Senior Master Dr. Eliot Hearst once defined resignation as "a way of terminating a game, unkown to weak players." That was in 1962. Some things never change.
  7. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:591 edit
    Yea I notice that in todays world, do as you wish the heck with others.
    Everything goes, if it feels good do it.
    So as in chess as in the world. Oh p.s. hey if I had a nickel for every minute I waited be it here or OTB or any where I be Bill Gates runner up.
    Do you play chess with your elbows on the table?🙄🙂😀
  8. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:01
    Originally posted by masscat
    U.S. Senior Master Dr. Eliot Hearst once defined resignation as "a way of terminating a game, unkown to weak players." That was in 1962. Some things never change.
    Way to go see theres still hope in the world. 😉
  9. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:062 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    Hehe, I was just thinking the same. Has it been a week already? Sigh...

I don't enjoy playing games that I'm losing. If I'm in a losing position and think that I could flip the board around and mate Fritz 10 or Kasparov, or I just don't want to play the game anymore, I'll resign. If I I lack faith in my oppnent's endgame skills, have play left, have drawing chances, or have something left to learn, I probably will not resign unless I have too many games on the go. The only provable axiom is that nobody ever won a game by resigning.

Here's the thing, I resign because resigning is good for *me*, not because it's good for *my opponent*. As a winner, their prize for playing is winning the game. As a loser, my prize is deciding whether I want to end the game before checkmate or not.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:231 edit
    Originally posted by Armagoden
    Oh p.s. hey if I had a nickel for every minute I waited be it here or OTB or any where I be Bill Gates runner up.
    it's correspondence chess we play here, you're not supposed to be in a hurry.

I understand your frustration, but the thing is, we get 1-2 of these threads every week, and none of them makes any difference. ever.

it would be stupid for a beginner to trust his opponent saying a game is lost and resignable. the only way he's gonna learn it, is by playing these games out. just mate the guy as fast as possible, and he'll learn his lesson eventually. we all did.
  11. over there
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:31
    I consider it rude if my opponent doesn't resign a lost game. Whether you resign, or get mated, you still lose. You still lose the same amount of points.
  12. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:311 edit
    the only "unacceptable" resignation is to do so the move before an inevitable checkmate.

You can ALWAYS comeback. Eventually, I am going to post my greatest comeback on my profile, if I complete it successfully: I want to show just why you should not resign...I was down by 9 points (a queen)
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:33
    but sometimes we dont lose the game .... Game 2954323 🙂
  14. Joined
    01 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:39
    I really truly hate resigning.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 23:42
    Originally posted by Armagoden
    I am not sure many newcomers or novices know how to resign a game. Now I know it's nice to play it out to the end sometimes, but when all is totally lost come on already resign and get on to a new game.
    Be a gentleman congratulate your opponent and gracefully resign. Its easy just type a message like: Great game enjoy it, congrats.
    and then press the ...[text shortened]... always nice to start a new game and forget the old one you just lost. More on as they say. LOL
    It's easy to say "resign when all is totally lost", but not so easy to define what 'totally lost' is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree