11 Feb '12 23:59

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 02:103 edits
    I think Robbie wins this one.

Though I think he must go back to the poet that he was, rather than the keyboard commando that he has become.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 02:411 edit
    Originally posted by hedonist

Though I think he must go back to the poet that he was, rather than the keyboard commando that he has become.
    You are absolutely correct Hedonist, there is nothing to be seen here except a king,
    pontificating from his mirrored encrusted throne and giving orders that the sea be
    given three hundred lashes because he lost the battle and in the distance, in another
    island, the banners are full of cheer!
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 06:23
    Originally posted by hedonist

You misspelled "prick."
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 13:43
    Originally posted by iru
    Here is my problem - I have rather poor memory. And opening is where you need to memorize the most. I love all the aspects of chess except for opening theory which I find boring and uninspiring.

Yesterday I made just another attempt to refine my d4 repertoire for an OTB game I have to play tomorrow and after 15 minutes I was fed up and bored to death. I feel ...[text shortened]... way). Do you think it's reasonable not to learn opening at all and only do what I really enjoy?
    I am reading the Forum randomly, so I came across this thread.

Understanding Pawn Play in Chess by Drazen Marovic, published by Gambit, 2000.

When a young chess player overcome wrong obsession with theoretical novelties and openings in general, so there comes a hatred against opening theory. There is a ex-Yugoslavian female chess Grandmaster (now Serbian), who was also en excellent journalist (she had refused to do the interview with Bobby Fischer once), and who said 2 aphorisms
    1. I am now dreaming of equal position after the opening, so the better player wins (she referred to young players who only memorize openings)
    and
    2. One learns, learns and learns, and when one finally learns everything, there comes sclerosis, and one begins to forget... (I guess she did not authored the latter, only retold.)

Something in between, there is a little help for you - that book I mentioned.
    So that you can learn the principles of openings, and hope not to come across to some nerd who knows only endless variations.
  6. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 17:121 edit
    "and hope not to come across to some nerd who knows only endless variations"

On the contrary!When your opponent knows only variations while you divert early but know how to play he will indeed have the better position.But not for long!

ps: I too find opening theory boring.I tackle the problem by checking my games to see if and when I left theory,if available read the reasoning why the theoretical move is best,play over 1 or 2 example games and hope something sticks.
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Apr '12 13:451 edit
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    LOL. Look at the game, before making idiotic claims.
    I enjoyed this game. thanks for posting this. Svesh's approach to stopping the passer was a nice little bit of strategic play.

(I realize this thread was Necro'd)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree