1. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 12:471 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    1.e4 c5 2.c4 and the symmetrical English appears...I've seen it before, it really bothers me. 🙁
    Yes, but while the Botvinik setup can theoretically be played against anything, I don't particularly like it against the symmetric variation.

Edit: CMSMaster has convinced me of the need to play Rg1 and the freak attack
  2. Rashly unpredictable
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 13:001 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    1.e4 c5 2.c4 and the symmetrical English appears...I've seen it before, it really bothers me. 🙁
    Play the ultrasymmetrical. This opening offers the chances to the side who knows the theory better. White should be better but one ?! or ? move and black might possibly win.
  3. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 13:07
    Originally posted by zebano
    Yes, but while the Botvinik setup can theoretically be played against anything, I don't particularly like it against the symmetric variation.

I think someone is trying to play that against me.

I just thought he was mental.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 13:291 edit
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    I think someone is trying to play that against me.

I just thought he was mental.
    It's extremely tactical. I have a sample game in one of my books which is just great (I think it's Polgar, J vrs. Shirov but I can't find the game online - the book is Neil McDonald's Chess: The Art of Logical Thinking: From the First Move to the Last)

Realistically speaking, since in many lines Rg1 and g4 are played if black castles short, there is little reason to commit to this idea so early. Instead normal development and 0-0-0 is probably better when you can latter decide to go all out.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 13:50
    I love it. great idea.

That's what my grandpa did to me the first time i tried it on him... seems to be an old school thing to do actually.
  6. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 14:18

yeah I dont know if you can call that a botvinnik system as typically with that system black doesnt play c5, and whites king knight goes to e2.

its closer to the symnetrical english then the botvinnik imo.
  7. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 14:21

what exactly is the freak attack?
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 14:39
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    what exactly is the freak attack?
    1. e4 c5
    2. Nf3 d6
    3. d4 cxd4
    4. Nxd4 Nf6
    5. Nc3 a6
    6. Rg1!?
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 15:00
    Why is denying a KS castle a good idea?
  10. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 15:28
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Why is denying a KS castle a good idea?
    White will usually castle Queenside and play for a strong Kingside attack starting with g4.
  11. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 15:37
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    White will usually castle Queenside and play for a strong Kingside attack starting with g4.
    Of course he will castle QS & try & push on on the KS.
    Just telegraphs the plan a little early though I think.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Explain why 1. e4 is the preferred opening of the +1900 players on this site and the one that has the best win ratio for White. And that the best winning chances for Black are 1. ...e5

1. e4 is the preferred opening period. It is the most common moves at all levels. However, at the GM level, d4 is not too far off in popularity. Moreover at the levels below ~2500, d4 scores slightly better overall (not talking about specific variations). After ~2500, e4 scores better than all other moves. This may suggest that e4 takes longer to master and fully realize the advantage it offers, while d4 relies less on concrete knowledge and thus, the advantage may be realized with less knowledge. This is based on Chessbase Mega Database 2007, but the interpretation is my own.

In any case, e4 is most likely the best move objectively (engines like Rybka also score about 2% higher with e4 than with anything else), if only slightly so. However, it is a complicated move, full of tactics and sacrifices seemingly out of nowhere. Most troubling is that White's advantage is very delicate. One wrong move may give black immediate equality and even advantage. Of course, this applies to black too.
  13. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 21:131 edit
    What are your thoughts people, how do you like to attack the sicilian?
    If they play the dragon, I play the Levenfish Attack Variation (6.f4). Otherwise, I'll play the Smith-Morra Gambit. 😀
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 21:14
    He said attack, not caress. :p
  15. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 21:23
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    If they play the dragon, I play the Levenfish Attack Variation (6.f4). Otherwise, I'll play the Smith-Morra Gambit. 😀
    Those are probably the worst variations I can possibly think of. Basically what I read there was:

"If they play the Dragon, I will play the worst line I can think of against it, else, I will play the worst line possible against the Sicilian except the Wing Gambit."

😀

But seriously.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree