1. Joined
    22 Mar '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 18:13
    Alright, here my story started playing 5 mins for fun like 2 years. I recently realized that I still suck, like I can beat some weak 1300 and 1400 player ones or twice, but I usually get stomped. I tried reading a book, and for some reason, i didn’t like learning that way. I understand the basics, pins, pawn structure, forks. I play with chess master sometimes

I though that I could just teach my self and I was wrong. Maybe I’m just not maid for chess. Right now I have 979 wins and 1372 losses, and rating is still 12XX. Should I stop playing blitz and try to learn the strategy inside out. Looks like i've wasted a couple of years of playing. I feel like I should maybe stop if I’m not getting anywhere
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 18:37
    Originally posted by serg87
    Alright, here my story started playing 5 mins for fun like 2 years. I recently realized that I still suck, like I can beat some weak 1300 and 1400 player ones or twice, but I usually get stomped. I tried reading a book, and for some reason, i didn’t like learning that way. I understand the basics, pins, pawn structure, forks. I play with chess master sometime ...[text shortened]... sted a couple of years of playing. I feel like I should maybe stop if I’m not getting anywhere
    hmmm
    Just checked your stats
    Played none
    Won none
    Drawn none
    In progress 1
    Moves made 1
    Could be simply delusion
  3. Joined
    22 Mar '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 18:42
    i have an account on yahoo
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 19:13
    I only play on Yahoo when drinking. Anyhoo, slower games where you attempt to use the strategies(pins, forks, central control, space, initiative) are whats requeired to get better. When you lose, review the game and figure out where you went wrong.

Don't repeat mistakes!
  5. Joined
    12 Sep '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 19:17
    in short you will get much better playing on RHP than yahoo🙂🙂
    rec for giving props to RHP^.^
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 19:33
    Originally posted by 88sOsO
    in short you will get much better playing on RHP than yahoo🙂🙂
    rec for giving props to RHP^.^
    Lol, you get out of it what you put into it...
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 21:27
    Alright, here my story started playing 5 mins for fun like 2 years. I recently realized that I still suck, like I can beat some weak 1300 and 1400 player ones or twice, but I usually get stomped. I tried reading a book, and for some reason, i didn’t like learning that way. I understand the basics, pins, pawn structure, forks. I play with chess master so ...[text shortened]... couple of years of playing. I feel like I should maybe stop if I’m not getting anywhere
    yahoo = mass cheating

Yahoo garabage. I played over 2000+ blitz games on there didn't do anything for me. I was say a 1300ish player by then. Joined a chess club and after 2 years i'm sitting at 1852 OTB. My rating on here is also reasonable.

I got a thread going which will help you. Here's the link, its on page 2 half way done.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=39309&page=9

One more advise, stop wasting your time with blitz. I stopped playing blitz a long time ago. It gives you bad habits.
  8. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 21:321 edit
    Alright, here my story started playing 5 mins for fun like 2 years. I recently realized that I still suck, like I can beat some weak 1300 and 1400 player ones or twice, but I usually get stomped. I tried reading a book, and for some reason, i didn’t like learning that way. I understand the basics, pins, pawn structure, forks. I play with chess master sometime sted a couple of years of playing. I feel like I should maybe stop if I’m not getting anywhere
    For starters, stop referring to 1300 or 1400 players as weak. Anyone can be called weak relative to someone who's better. But you said they consistently stomp you, so how does that make them weak?
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 21:50
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    For starters, stop referring to 1300 or 1400 players as weak. Anyone can be called weak relative to someone who's better. But you said they consistently stomp you, so how does that make them weak?
    Another dumb thing about yahoo.

Case 1: Those 1400 players could have played all their games in the advanced room to get their 1400 rating, thus they are actually relatively strong players.

Case 2: Those 1400 player could have played all their games in the social or beginner rook to get to 1400 and so they are not great players.

How do you know which one is true?
  10. Joined
    27 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 22:01
    a 1400 on yahoo is like a 1200 on ICC. Yahoo is micky mouse. But something that might help. I know I had the same problem I'm a beginer to intermediate and wanted to improve my game. But I found most chess books too thoughral and boring. I just recnetly purchased a book call "Rapid Chess Improvement by Michael de la Maza". Its very easy to read and very practicle and hands on. His improved his game tons and he outlines the system in the book. I just bought it yesterday so I can't tell you how great its going to get but it seems pretty good so far. Good luck, and don;t give up!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 22:322 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 22:56
    Originally posted by estonian3
    a 1400 on yahoo is like a 1200 on ICC. Yahoo is micky mouse. But something that might help. I know I had the same problem I'm a beginer to intermediate and wanted to improve my game. But I found most chess books too thoughral and boring. I just recnetly purchased a book call "Rapid Chess Improvement by Michael de la Maza". Its very easy to read and v ...[text shortened]... u how great its going to get but it seems pretty good so far. Good luck, and don;t give up!
    I don't want to burst you bubble but check out the reviews about that book at

www.jeremysilman.com

or some other sites as well..

I did that La Maza tactic program. It's overrated. I did 6 round of it and then stopped since round 7 woudln't help me anymore.

Doing 5-10 problems a day is just as good in my opinion.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 23:00
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Even I made a rateing of about 1625 or so in here and about 1720 or so in Game Knot. How is it that a 1400 and lower is not weak? Players do not play clean games till they get about the 1700 USCF rateing. I think I would have trouble playing at the 1500 or so rateing in USCF tournament play. You must be grading on the curve.
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 23:10
    Originally posted by RahimK
    yahoo = mass cheating

Yahoo garabage. I played over 2000+ blitz games on there didn't do anything for me. I was say a 1300ish player by then. Joined a chess club and after 2 years i'm sitting at 1852 OTB. My rating on here is also reasonable.

I got a thread going which will help you. Here's the link, its on page 2 half way done.

http://www.redhotpaw ...[text shortened]... sting your time with blitz. I stopped playing blitz a long time ago. It gives you bad habits.
    Too bad. I think most of the players I have played in Yahoo are there to play and are not cheaters. Programs are not the only way to cheat. One of my games ended prematurely and for no reason. It was my move. There was no time limit. I was thinking about what move to play and to my surprise the game ended with a message that I had lost.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 00:10
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Too bad. I think most of the players I have played in Yahoo are there to play and are not cheaters. Programs are not the only way to cheat. One of my games ended prematurely and for no reason. It was my move. There was no time limit. I was thinking about what move to play and to my surprise the game ended with a message that I had lost.
    Perhaps that is true. What really bother me is that nothing is being done to prevent such practises.

Now take ICC of Playchess for example. You get caught cheating like that then you get the boot and you lose your memebership money etc... Same with here. At least they are trying to prevent it.

Also the quality of chess play is just not there in Yahoo. We tend to think of Yahoo chess as garabage and therefore lots of the good players don't play on there hence the lack of chess quality.

Just an opinion but I know playing on Yahoo hasn't done anything for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree