I want transposition!

I want transposition!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by YUG0slav
I meet d4 with the KID mostly, with the occasional QGD (It's solid and I learned it first)

tbh, I do love the Dragon, but actually prefer playing the white pieces in it. Besides, I know the black side of the Accelerated Dragon way better than the regular Dragon.
Hrm, I think the Semi-Slav is as tactical as the KID. I tried the KID, but I never got into it, perhaps I just didn't play it enough. I never got really active positions in the KID, perhaps I didn't have enough knowledge of how to play it.

Y

Moves
25 Oct 06

well the Accelerated Dragon can often be more positional than tactical. Of course, with inferior moves by white, Black can occasionally transpose back to lines of the Classical Dragon (good ones for Black btw)

I honestly do prefer positional games in OTB Tournaments because I find them much easier to play than sharp tactical games and they allow me to utilize everything i've gained from "Reassess your Chess" more effectively. With plenty of calculation time, I stray more towards tactics online, which is why i've never played the Accelerated Dragon on rhp. Consequently, the Accel Dragon and the QGD are my workhorses as black OTB.

l

London

Moves
25 Oct 06

Originally posted by ChessJester
I am currently playing a game where my opponent opened with 1.Nf3 and transposed into a KIA... it was hard to fight and is still in progress... I was wondering, whats the most dangerous transpositional device that can be employed by white? Is this 1.Nf3? or would you suggest something different?
Edit: and to broaden the responses, what transpositional d ...[text shortened]... at I could learn in order to broaden my understanding of the positions that may arise from them?
The Ruy and the Vienna Gambit? That's an odd opening repertoire.

I usually play 1. e4 heading for a Ruy (though I'm also happy facing whatever my opponent wants to play). Not many openings are really much like the Ruy in terms of strategic themes and pawn formations, although you might get the occasional game where something similar turns up. With Black, I've recently started playing the Sicilian Scheveningen/Najdorf (with mixed results) against 1. e4 and the NID or QID against 1. d4 (depending on whether he plays 3. Nc3 or 3. Nf3 respectively after 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6).

So, against 1. Nf3, I'd normally just reply 1. ... Nf6 and wait for his next move.