1. under your bed
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 22:46
    Hypothetically, if Kasparov (and the like) had only learnt to play Chess at 40 he probably would never have become world champ but top 100 perhaps..?
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 22:48
    no.
  3. under your bed
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 22:55
    surely if you have innate talent such as his you would at least become a strong GM?
  4. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 23:29
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    surely if you have innate talent such as his you would at least become a strong GM?
    I think you overestimate talent. It takes years of hard work to get that good at something. I'm sure he would become a Grandmaster but that title is so devalued now. How many Grandmasters are there? I don't know but it must be many thousands.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 02:08
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    Hypothetically, if Kasparov (and the like) had only learnt to play Chess at 40 he probably would never have become world champ but top 100 perhaps..?
    He would not have made it to master level, I think.
  6. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 02:51
    It can't be done. I am living proof.
  7. Joined
    09 Feb '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 02:58
    It is something you are born with just like running fast, throwing 100mph, powerlifting, math, etc.

If you take a chess player with equal natural ability the one that trained the most would in all probability be the winner. But an average person can train all they want but will never be kasparov.
    Just like every other great athlete in every other sport.
  8. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:15
    Zhao Zong Yuan completed the requirements to become a grandmaster in two months - a process that normally takes several years.
  9. Joined
    02 Dec '09
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:15
    Originally posted by HighTorque
    It is something you are born with just like running fast, throwing 100mph, powerlifting, math, etc.

If you take a chess player with equal natural ability the one that trained the most would in all probability be the winner. But an average person can train all they want but will never be kasparov.
    Just like every other great athlete in every other sport.
    I disagree
  10. Joined
    09 Feb '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:26
    Show me an athlete that made it to kasparov's, capablanca's, fischer's, or even Carlsen's level with average ability. These people are born with a natural ability to understand the complexity of chess. Do they get better with training? Of course. But people like me and you luke myster will never be that good.... we couldn't even compete with these people when they were 10 years old.
  11. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:32
    Show me an athlete that made it to kasparov's, capablanca's, fischer's, or even Carlsen's level with average ability. These people are born with a natural ability to understand the complexity of chess. Do they get better with training? Of course. But people like me and you luke myster will never be that good.... we couldn't even compete with these people when they were 10 years old.
    The Polgar sisters.

Q
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:37
    I believe all the greats started young and played without a break on their
    way to greatness. I believe starting at a young age makes a great
    difference. Also being able to concentratate on chess only without having
    to spend a great deal of time on other work, etc. and without having a
    long break between competitive chess play makes a great difference.
  13. Joined
    09 Feb '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:38
    judit polgar vs kasparov

kasparov wins 12 times, loses 1 and draws 4

I wouldn't call that being on the same level.
  14. Joined
    02 Dec '09
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:40
    Your right to a certain extent but i believe that an average player could make it to that level if they trained harder than anyone else.
  15. Joined
    09 Feb '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:40
    Plus I don't think any of us average players beat our first grandmaster at 11 years old. I wouldn't say she is too average.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree