1. Joined
    13 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:11
    Right, when i was a kid i wasn't allowed to play in the chess club cos i was only in primary 4 (age 8ish) and you had to be in primary 6 (age 10ish) but one day they were 1 short so i got in. Got taught what each piece does, i remember the teacher saying "this only goes in an L, and this can only go diagonal" them were the days...anyway, after half an hour i was unbeatable teacher was hopping about getting me into the next match for my school. I won my games despite shaking like a leaf (my first ever competitive encounter).

So that's how i became a geek but sadly it's not developed with me. I stopped playing after a few months can't remember why i just wanted to play sports.
    But to cut a long story short i've just played some 10 minute games on MSN and i can't believe how poo i am. I'm making stupid careless mistakes and it's doing my head in.

I know i can be a decent player and i suppose playing until 5am won't produce my most concentrated efforts but it's not tiredness, during the day i'm not notably better. But my question is are there any websites on this here internet that will improve my game throught training, puzzles etc?
    Only parameter to meet is it's gotta be free, i'm not that committed. lol.
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:14
    Originally posted by KingsBishop
    Right, when i was a kid i wasn't allowed to play in the chess club cos i was only in primary 4 (age 8ish) and you had to be in primary 6 (age 10ish) but one day they were 1 short so i got in. Got taught what each piece does, i remember the teacher saying "this only goes in an L, and this can only go diagonal" them were the days...anyway, after half an ho ...[text shortened]... Only parameter to meet is it's gotta be free, i'm not that committed. lol.
    Read the get to 1400-1600-2000 threads 🙂
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:14
    not even committed enough to make any moves on RHP yet I see
    🙂
  4. Joined
    13 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:16
    I've just joined about 10 minutes ago.

and can i assume you're from Burnley?
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:16
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Read the get to 1400-1600-2000 threads 🙂
    Does anyone take those threads seriously? I thought they were a wind up!
    It isn't as though the "Teacher" who set up the threads is even a good player I could whip his backside and i am mediocre
    😀
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:17
    I've just joined about 10 minutes ago.

and can i assume you're from Burnley?
    Yes you can assume that
    Welcome, and never mind me, I'm one pawn short of a cocktail
    🙂
  7. Joined
    13 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:22
    I'm in Padiham. Born in Burnley. What a hole eh? lol.

so whats with these games then? how do i start one? bear in mind if i have to type my move in then i dont even know how to do that properly. Oh and how many moves to you all "foresee" and can you all remember the position of each piece on a chess board?

It's a bit intimidating to think that i only know what i'm doing when i'm dragging a piece with my mouse, and it's all 2, maybe 3 moves in advance.
  8. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:23
    Originally posted by Turfmoor
    It isn't as though the "Teacher" who set up the threads is even a good player I could whip his backside and i am mediocre
    😀
    The one who set up the 2000 thread is a fab player. I think the get to 1400-1600 threads are both done by a 1850 player so should be sound advice for those rating goals 🙂
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:25
    I'm in Padiham. Born in Burnley. What a hole eh? lol.

so whats with these games then? how do i start one? bear in mind if i have to type my move in then i dont even know how to do that properly. Oh and how many moves to you all "foresee" and can you all remember the position of each piece on a chess board?

It's a bit intimidating to think that i on ...[text shortened]... doing when i'm dragging a piece with my mouse, and it's all 2, maybe 3 moves in advance.
    Kasparov once said that in 95% of chess positions he doesnt look more than 5 moves deep, in 50% of chess positions he doesnt look more than 2 moves deep.

Capablanca also said something along the lines of "I only see one move deep, but its always the right move" 🙂
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:26
    😀
    You disappoint me.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:33
    Originally posted by RahimK
    You disappoint me.
    Why, because I am at least as strong as you, or because I don't think players as weak as us should try and stand on a pedestal?
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:35
    Why, because I am at least as strong as you, or because I don't think players as weak as us should try and stand on a pedestal?
    I looked at several of your games.

You ain't even close.

I know you are newbie and I suggest you check out the my thread and read all the comments before you open your mouth next time.
  14. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:37
    Hes trying to help people, thats got to be good. I help teach some of the kids who play for North Wales I dont feel as though im on a pedestal, just helping fellow chess players. If some Master came along and wanted to offer me advice id be chuffed 🙂
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:43
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I looked at several of your games.

You ain't even close.

I know you are newbie and I suggest you check out the my thread and read all the comments before you open your mouth next time.
    You are not strong enough to teach me chess.

I don't claim to be a good player merely average, that is my point you are no better than average either.

I may or may not be a "newbie" to this site, that doesn't make me a newbie to chess. I have been playing since I was in white knees socks and navy blue knickers

I play all moves on RHP within 10 seconds because I enjoy blitz/rapid chess, OTB I am a reasonable player at 35/75.
    I doubt you could beat me at any time limit
    🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree