USA
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 05:42
    "Chess first of all teaches you to be objective." -Alekhine

3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 10:19
    i gotta post this Reti quotation, it brings a smile every time i read it

now we appreciate that what affords us so much enjoyment in chess is really the same
    thing for all of us, be it for the layman who sees nothing finer in chess than the
    sacrificial combination or be it the expert who marvels at the far reaching scheme of
    the game. It is the triumph of intellect and genius over lack of imagination; the
    triumph of personality over materialism. - Reti
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 17:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Chess first of all teaches you to be objective." -Alekhine
    That's a funny one coming from ol' Alex. He was known by all for his objectivity...😵

Richard
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 17:30
    Lasker: "A gambit is a powerful weapon, especially when used against opponents burdened with bookish knowledge."

Richard
  6. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 17:35
    "chess is as much a mystery as women"

Purdy
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 22:352 edits
    ‘On another occasion, in Berlin, having missed the first prize by losing to Sämisch,
    Nimzowitsch got up on a table and shouted, “Why must I lose to this idiot?” This story
    was told to me by the idiot himself.’ - Hans Kmoch
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 14:34
    “As a kid, chess was the first thing I studied in a structured way that helped me gain the discipline to study medicine and become a successful doctor.” M. Spitz (Professor of Neurology at the University of Colorado and one of the nation's leading experts in epilepsy.)
  9. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    23 Oct '11 23:26
    "Chess-play is a good and wiitie exercise of the mind for some kinds of men, and fit for such melancholy persons as are idle and have imperfect thoughts, or troubled with cares; nothing better to distract their minds and alter their meditations." - Robert Burton 'Anatomy of Melancholy' (1626)
    Pretty fair evaluation, IMO!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree