1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 17:49
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    The process of rating players can be compared to the measurement of the position of a cork bobbing up and down on the surface of agitated water with a yard stick tied to a rope and which is swaying in the wind.

Arpad Elo
    This should be in the FAQ on ratings here on the site.
  2. In attack
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 17:58
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    J'attaque must be French for, "Make surrender flags immediately!!"
    Did you know that the French are the most successful European military power in history? One mistake about the fording ability of German tanks and one episode of the Simpsons and everyone thinks they're pushovers 😉
  3. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 18:09
    Originally posted by morgski
    Did you know that the French are the most successful European military power in history? One mistake about the fording ability of German tanks and one episode of the Simpsons and everyone thinks they're pushovers 😉
    For a successful military power they seem to have spent a lot of time losing to us Brits. When they had decided not to fight us anymore they spent 80 years losing to the Germans. OK, in the 1914-18 bash they never actually surrendered but that was only because their allies (Britain in a reversal of roles) managed to smash a hole in the German line at Amiens in 1918. Maybe not pushovers, but not exactly a military superpower either.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 18:39
    it was the needle gun that did it, the idea of putting the explosive inside the shell rather
    than packing the barrel. German technology, that was all. French troops didn't stand a
    chance against that kind of tech. Of course the Germans folly was to humiliate the
    French by crowning Wilhelm in the Palace of Versailles, which had repercussions later.
    The moral is, if you defeat someone, make sure you preserve their dignity.
  5. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 18:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it was the needle gun that did it, the idea of putting the explosive inside the shell rather
    than packing the barrel. German technology, that was all. French troops didn't stand a
    chance against that kind of tech. Of course the Germans folly was to humiliate the
    French by crowning Wilhelm in the Palace of Versailles, which had repercussions later.
    The moral is, if you defeat someone, make sure you preserve their dignity.
    Except in 1870 the French had a better weapon in the Chassepot than the German Dreyse needle gun. The real problem the French had was a belief in the name of Bonaparte as some kind of magical charm. Napoleon III wasn't half the leader the original Napoleon was. If the Germans can be said to have had a technological advantage, it lay in their breech loading steel artillery against the French muzzle loading brass guns.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 19:34
    Napoleon was born in Corsica.
    Surrender monkeys Pffffft
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 19:38
    Take it to debates Spanky!
  8. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 19:44
    Isn't that a perfect moment to shortly remember, how many years of peace some of these countries had for now... decades? I am very privileged to be born in a country without war for so long a time - I hope this will be beneficial to other countries (maybe even because of this? 🙁 ) in the near future.

Maybe one day there will be a world with peace...

one can dream, though, i can dream...
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 20:01
    Originally posted by tharkesh

Isn't that a perfect moment to shortly remember, how many years of peace some of these countries had for now... decades? I am very privileged to be born in a country without war for so long a time - I hope this will be beneficial to other countries (maybe even because of this? 🙁 ) in the near future.

Maybe one day there will be a world with peace...

one can dream, though, i can dream...
    "Maybe one day there will be a world with peace..."

... not until the Second Advent and Christ's Millennial Rule.

"There will be wars and rumors of wars until I come."

10. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 20:12
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Maybe one day there will be a world with peace..."

... not until the Second Advent and Christ's Millennial Rule.

"There will be wars and rumors of wars until I come."

.[/b]
    you see? you don't think it is impossible either!

that's how it starts, people start believing in its possibility and then they make it happen!

😀

is a dream, but is a nice dream...
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 20:171 edit
    I don't know if this is famous or not, but I was watching a Bobby Fischer story on HBO. While he was holding out threatening not to play in the championship tournament against the Russians a reporter asked him, "Are you playing psychology against your opponents?"

Bobby said, "No. I don't believe in psychology. I believe in good moves"

This is all paraphrasing.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 21:412 edits
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    Except in 1870 the French had a better weapon in the Chassepot than the German Dreyse needle gun. The real problem the French had was a belief in the name of Bonaparte as some kind of magical charm. Napoleon III wasn't half the leader the original Napoleon was. If the Germans can be said to have had a technological advantage, it lay in their breech loading steel artillery against the French muzzle loading brass guns.
    OK, i stand corrected, i was unaware of this and always had assumed that the needle
    gun was better, it seems the French guns not only had a higher calibre and longer
    range, but a flatter trajectory as well.
  13. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 21:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    OK, i stand corrected, i was unaware of this and always had assumed that the needle
    gun was better, it seems the French guns not only had a higher calibre and longer
    range, but a flatter trajectory as well.
    Higher rate of fire and longer nasty pointy thing on the end!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 22:281 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 22:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree