1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:06
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I don't know if this is famous or not, but I was watching a Bobby Fischer story on HBO. While he was holding out threatening not to play in the championship tournament against the Russians a reporter asked him, "Are you playing psychology against your opponents?"

Bobby said, "No. I don't believe in psychology. I believe in good moves"
    He was, of course, lying, as the bit I've italicised shows.

Richard
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    And yet, in my experience, it frequently is. Often by native speakers of English.
    The British have a lot of virtues, but modesty and honesty aren't among them.

Richard
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:21
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    My dislike of the French military is from personal experience, and for someone who's never seen the Simpsons to call me ignorant is an oxymoron.
    You assume much, yet you know little for a 2000+ player.
    It never stops amazing me that the English and their descendants still have such a bad trauma from the 100 Years' War that they cannot mention the French even in passing without feeling the psychological need to insult their military prowess. It must have been a truly devastating defeat.

I have seen the Simpsons, and can thus state with perfect confidence that anyone who quotes from it in a serious discussion does not need the "oxy".

You grandiloquate much, yet you have a surprisingly small-minded personality for someone below 2000.

Chess quotes? Did someone mention chess quotes? OK, how about this one:
    "Life's too short for chess" - H.J. Byron (cousin of).
    I don't agree with him, of course.

Richard
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The terms are also muddied by the fact that many times an English army marched into Scotland they contained many other elements, such as Welsh archers and Irish infantry units.
    ...and, not to forget, Scots.

If you want someone to dislike and fight against a Scot, take an Englishman. If you want someone to truly loathe him and kill his entire clan, find a Scot who has built his house a few hundred feet higher or lower up the mountains.

Richard
  5. In attack
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:38
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    It never stops amazing me that the English and their descendants still have such a bad trauma from the 100 Years' War that they cannot mention the French even in passing without feeling the psychological need to insult their military prowess. It must have been a truly devastating defeat.

I have seen the Simpsons, and can thus state with ...[text shortened]... short for chess" - H.J. Byron (cousin of).

Richard
    Everyone likes to have a little chip on their shoulder. If I had a penny for the number of times a Scotsman mentioned 1314 to me, I'd have nearly a pound 🙂

The French/English relationship is one of competitive brothers (love to win, can't bear to lose, but always want a rematch). At least now it is in sport rather than war. I don't think the French would enjoy rugby nearly as much if they never played against les rosbifs (and my french friends certainly enjoyed last weekend)

Is it me that gets the oxymoron (minus the oxy) title? I brought up the Simpsons first...

Token quote: 😉
    "In the laboratory the gambits all test unfavorably, but the old rule wears well, that all gambits are sound OTB" - William Ewart Napier
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:38
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    "Golf - the best way to spoil a good walk. Winston Churchill said that." - Dog
    (Both from Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels)
    Well, Mr. Ritchie was wrong, then. (Well, what do you expect from someone who married Madonna?)
    That quote is usually attributed to the other great false source of quotations, Mark Twain. It probably wasn't him, either. The real source is, AFAIK, unknown.
    But whoever first said it was quite correct. Why waste your time playing golf when you can waste it playing chess?

Richard
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:41
    Originally posted by morgski
    Everyone likes to have a little chip on their shoulder. If I had a penny for the number of times a Scotsman mentioned 1314 to me, I'd have nearly a pound 🙂
    Yeah, but then you'd have to be able to get a penny from a Scotsman, which is unlikely 😛.

Richard

(I'm allowed to say that, I'm Dutch. We have the same reputation, and it's equally justified.)
  8. In attack
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:49
    Lol

This chess quotes malarky just got a lot easier, there is in fact a website called chessquotes<dot>com

"What is the object of playing a gambit opening?... To acquire a reputation of being a dashing player at the cost of losing a game" - Siegbert Tarrasch

A small price to pay for being dashing 🙂
  9. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 15:38
    Well, Mr. Ritchie was wrong, then. (Well, what do you expect from someone who married Madonna?)
    That quote is usually attributed to the other great false source of quotations, Mark Twain. It probably wasn't him, either. The real source is, AFAIK, unknown.
    But whoever first said it was quite correct. Why waste your time playing golf when you can waste it playing chess?

Richard
    Very good! Your note prompted me to go to the 'goofs' section of IMDB, where this is listed:
    "Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Dog describes Golf as a "way to spoil a good walk" he attributes the quote to Winston Churchill. The quote "Golf is a good walk spoiled." was originally made by Mark Twain."
    I've the first volume of Twain's autobiography, of which I've only read the first 1/2 or so. Entertaining book, but now I need to peruse it further for that quote! It is true that Twain's sayings were mostly plagiarized, and he took pride in taking words from other sources! It was sort of an intellectual game in 19th century America to do so.
    i gave up golf in May 1988.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 19:122 edits

I have seen the Simpsons, and can thus state with short for chess" - H.J. Byron (cousin of).

Richard

I simply made a tongue in cheek statement meant in jest. Others took it as an opportunity and excuse to go off topic. My sincere apologies to the other posters in this thread for the snowflake that caused a massive avalanche. .

I have seen the Simpsons, and can thus state with perfect confidence that anyone who quotes from it in a serious discussion does not need the "oxy".

I made the monkey comment, not realizing at the time the original ( I presume) context. The remark about "oxy" is a well done put down, may I use it myself should the opportunity arise?

You grandiloquate much

No need to get personal, and besides, what I do in the privacy of my bathroom is my own business.

you have surprisingly small-minded personality for someone below 2000.

Thanks, I try my best.

Ok losers, click unlike then bite me. 😛
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 19:151 edit
    "Wind your opponent's side of the clock tight, and never wind your side."- If Ruy Lopez played with a clock, he would have said that.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 22:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 08:444 edits
    I already knew that many books (some of which I have read) have been written about
    the political and religious aspects of the Jacobite movement, as well as the military
    campaigns of 1745-46 and earlier.

Then you should have mentioned that it was geo-political and religious my dear
    Dutchess and there would have been no misunderstanding, but lets not fight about
    it. Thank you for the recommendations, i will see if they are in my local library, for i
    am due to return a few books, one of which was a thoroughly enjoyable read,
    Bobby Fischer goes to war, documenting the world championship match in Reykjavik
    1972 detailing the characters and events which unfolded in an almost surreal
    manner and how those events were perceived elsewhere.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 17:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 19:071 edit
    Sure thing Dutchess , I understand.

Actually my dear Dutchess, these things are one and the same whether they were
    perpetrated in the highlands or anywhere else. I am not a Scottish nationalist, in
    fact, while i carry the name MacGregor from my mothers side and the name
    Gordon from my fathers, my nationalism ends at rugby and football matches. The
    greatest injury that has come to Scotland came from our own selves, partly
    precipitated from the demise of the clan system, yet it was those persons who were
    shipped off in droves, to America and New Zealand, Australia and Canada, who had
    toiled on the land of their forefathers for generations, only to be forcibly removed,
    sold by such a parcel of rouges as any nation would be loathe to mention. I have
    stood on the fields of Bannockburn, but half an hour from my home and on
    Drumossie Moor (Culloden) , but nothing pains me as seeing the still extant houses
    of those who were forced from their homes with bailiffs letters and fire and sword.
    Its an utterly shameful affair.

Yes i like history, it was one of the highers that i took while studying for entry to art
    school, but sometimes i cannot read it, for i am a human being and whether its the
    rape of Nanking or the butchery of Culloden, or the siege of Leningrad, sometimes
    its difficult to stomach. I thank you sincerely for taking an interest in my continuing
    education, a poor sea pirate like me needs all the education he can get - kind
    regards Robbie 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree