1. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 12:27
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    "You Colle playing, rabbit breeding, skirt wearing FREAK!!" ChessPraxis
    actually i have hardly ever played the Colle, its a common misconception that I do,
    secondly I have only one rabbit and lastly, its a well known fact that chicks dig guys in
    kilts. Soo my friend, get a kilt, feel the warm summer breeze gently caressing your
    nether regions, you will instantly become a babe magnet and play chess like a man.
  2. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 12:28
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    What does his having a coach have to do with his being a coach?
    Since he was the best, his coach would be worse than him. Therefore, it would be the coach taking lessons from Fischer, not the other way around. I had to think really long to get it.
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 15:14
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Maybe this isn't a great fit for the thread, but it has stayed with me forever...

I didn't start playing rated chess until I was in college. In one of my very first tournaments I was sitting in the round at the board, and it was extremely quiet, even for a chess tournament.

All of a sudden one of my new chess friends named Floyd Manzo (he was in ...[text shortened]... I will be in the middle of a round, and I will suddenly sit up, think of Floyd, and smile!
    lol!

Classic. I wish I would have been there.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 23:57
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Maybe this isn't a great fit for the thread, but it has stayed with me forever...

I didn't start playing rated chess until I was in college. In one of my very first tournaments I was sitting in the round at the board, and it was extremely quiet, even for a chess tournament.

All of a sudden one of my new chess friends named Floyd Manzo (he was in ...[text shortened]... I will be in the middle of a round, and I will suddenly sit up, think of Floyd, and smile!
    😉
  5. e4
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 00:22
    "My Center is giving way, my Queenside is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack."

Larsen borrowing a quote from a famous General.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 00:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 00:47
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    J'attaque must be French for, "Make surrender flags immediately!!"
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 02:261 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "My Center is giving way, my Queenside is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack."

Larsen borrowing a quote from a famous General.
    Hi, GP. I love this one too. It's one of a dozen hand picked quotations resting in my profile:

"My left is weakened. My right is broken. The situation is excellent. I'm on the attack."

Field Communiqué to Headquarters, Marshal Foch (French Commander, 1851-1929)

gb
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 03:27
    "Show me three variations in the leading handbook on the openings, and I will show you two of those three that are defective."- Emanuel Lasker
    (When I read it, I expected it to be by GP)
  10. e4
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 11:57
    If any of the three lines is not an opening trap then all three are defective. 🙂

I recall setting my Estrin Trap in a tournament game against a 2000+ player.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 6. Nd5

If 7...Nxe4 8.Bb5+ and Qe2 gives White a super-duper attack and often a quick White win.

His mate sitting next to him nodded and indicated he wanted to talk to me.
    I left the board and he said:

"It's OK playing exciting chess.....but setting cheap opening traps against a good player?"

I replied:

"If he is any good then how come he had ended up playing a bum like me?"

(The game was drawn.)
  11. Delft, Netherlands
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 12:13
    "Don't play the opponent, Play the position!"

- No clue who it originally comes from. My coach used to say it all the time.
  12. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 13:10
    The process of rating players can be compared to the measurement of the position of a cork bobbing up and down on the surface of agitated water with a yard stick tied to a rope and which is swaying in the wind.

Arpad Elo
  13. e4
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 13:521 edit
    Hi Yash.

Sound advice but it can be a bit flexible.

In certain circumstances, sometimes the correct move is not always the best move.
    It often depends on who you are playing.

Wild attacking players hate defending. Iron logic postional players dislike
    messy positions where they cannot grip on a plan.

There are quite a few examples of where a player explains he chose a move
    not to suit the position but to cross their opponent.

The classic and most often cited example is Tarrasch V Lasker 1908
    from the master of such strategy.

Lasker played 16...Rc5

Kasparov wrote something like Lasker played this to get Tarrasch out
    of his comfort zone.

Lasker wrote:
    "The Rook must be dangerously exposed so as to draw the brunt of the attack."

Any other Black move in the above position subjects Black to a miserable
    defence and would fall in with Tarrasch's boa constrictor style which he was very
    very good at. The 'correct' moves are either 16...Nf6 and 16...Nc5 but are they the best moves?
  14. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 14:05
    very well said. even on our lower level these thoughts are coming, maybe only with a glance at the rating difference, but still...

sometimes it is important to remember, that the position counts only (don't get intimidated by high ratings). sometimes is good to look up the opponents plaing history and get a feel for, what he likes or not...
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 15:33
    Originally posted by yashin
    "Don't play the opponent, Play the position!"

- No clue who it originally comes from. My coach used to say it all the time.
    Not Lasker, to be sure. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree