Internet Chess v. over-the-board ratings

Internet Chess v. over-the-board ratings

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
14 Apr 07

Other player's experience, please. My rehotpawn rating hovvers around 1400. Why, then, is my BCF rating, based on over-the-board chess congress play, only about 950?

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
14 Apr 07
3 edits

My RHP rating varies from everywhere in the 1400s while my over-the-board rating, as of today, is 1657. Huge difference! 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲

z

Moves
14 Apr 07

Originally posted by Dutch Defense
My RHP rating varies from everywhere in the 1400s while my over-the-board rating, as of today, is 1657. Huge difference! 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲
Do you play differently? I think for much longer times at real tournaments, but get far`porer results!!!

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
14 Apr 07

Originally posted by znsho
Do you play differently? I think for much longer times at real tournaments, but get far`porer results!!!
I dont' know. It's a mystery. 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲

p

Moves
14 Apr 07

Originally posted by Dutch Defense
I dont' know. It's a mystery. 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲
Maybe it's your cavalier attitude on rhp.

k

washington

Moves
14 Apr 07

my otb rating is lower than rhp i am starting to play otb more but if your use to computer chess it can hurt your otb in a way that its different when calculating. it depends on what you learn on.

U

Moves
14 Apr 07

Not sure what my otb rating is, but I'm sure it would be a lot lower than my current RHP rating. Mostly because I freeze for some reason under time constraints. On Uchess I'm below 1000, making horrible blunders I normally wouldn't do in non-timed contests. Just not used to the pressure I guess, heh.

a

Moves
15 Apr 07

My rhp rating right now is about the same as my otb rating. x.x

O

Moves
15 Apr 07

I tend to move between 1550 and 1650 here on RHP, depending on how much I feel like taking my time at the moment. 🙁 On the other hand, my OTB rating is 1715. I think I take more time in my average OTB game than on RHP, sigh...

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
15 Apr 07

Originally posted by prosoccer
Maybe it's your cavalier attitude on rhp.
What's that supposed to mean? 😕

J

back in business

Moves
15 Apr 07

Other player's experience, please. My rehotpawn rating hovvers around 1400. Why, then, is my BCF rating, based on over-the-board chess congress play, only about 950?
you mean your elo is 950. not your bcf rating...

some people have higher otb ratings, some have higher rhp. it varies a lot. I have over 400 points stronger otb rating.

F

Moves
15 Apr 07

Rating OTB and rating RHP are two totally different measurements. Shouldn't be compared at all.

The reason is that there are never any exchanges of points between the two so they are never correlated to eachother. The two groups never meet and are therefore isolated from eachother.

aka DEFIANT

Moves
15 Apr 07

I think that RHP ratings will be rather inflated compared to OTB ratings because with online system you can use the analysis feature and work out many combinations, many moves ahead and thus also forseeing potential blunder moves as well. whilst OTB chess, one has to try visualise all this in ones head while looking at all the pieces still on the board. OTB will invariabely have heavier pressure on a player specially when it come to time pressure in my honest oppinion.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
15 Apr 07

Originally posted by kNIGHTHEAD
I think that RHP ratings will be rather inflated compared to OTB ratings because with online system you can use the analysis feature and work out many combinations, many moves ahead and thus also forseeing potential blunder moves as well. whilst OTB chess, one has to try visualise all this in ones head while looking at all the pieces still on the board. ...[text shortened]... have heavier pressure on a player specially when it come to time pressure in my honest oppinion.
firstly, that's not what inflation means. and secondly, you can't compare rating systems like that. otb (whatever your national organization happens to be) is apples, rhp (or ANY other rating) is oranges compared to that. 1800 apple-rating does not equal 1800 orange-rating, and there's no possible way to find out an exchange rate from apples to oranges.

and thirdly, you can't compare high jump to pole vault.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Apr 07

Originally posted by wormwood
you can't compare high jump to pole vault.
I deserve a brilliancy prize for that analogy.

; D