Is chess considered a sport?

Is chess considered a sport?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
02 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by YUG0slav
On page 10 of the June issue of Chess Life, GM Andy Soltis states: "In the sport-art-science debate, chess shares a key characteristic with the sporting world..." So according to Soltis, chess is not a sport, only similar to one.

btw, Nakamura looks ridiculous on the cover
I don't think you're reading this right. There is a debate whether you call Chess an Art, Science, or Sport. He's picked Sport over the other two, therefor he DOES think it's a sport.

"...the true champions have the uncanny ability to rebound from a loss with a win, sometimes in spectacular fashion."

I don't have access to the article, just from your initial quote and the finished quote I found online I speculate that is his intention.

P-

L

Moves
02 Jul 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I don't think you're reading this right. There is a debate whether you call Chess an Art, Science, or Sport. He's picked Sport over the other two, therefor he DOES think it's a sport.

"...the true champions have the uncanny ability to rebound from a loss with a win, sometimes in spectacular fashion."

I don't have access to the article, just from yo ...[text shortened]... tial quote and the finished quote I found online I speculate that is his intention.

P-
what is your picture of your guy

Y

Moves
02 Jul 07

I don't have access to the article, just from yo ...[text shortened]... tial quote and the finished quote I found online I speculate that is his intention.

P-
ahh, right you are

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
03 Jul 07

P-
In my opinion, IF chess were played to the death it would be considered a Sport. And in addition, GET A LIFE.....SPORTY!

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
03 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by smw6869
In my opinion, IF chess were played to the death it would be considered a Sport. And in addition, GET A LIFE.....SPORTY!
I think Blood Sport would be a way better movie if they had to play chess between each round.

P-

Edit! Oh, and don't worry about me getting a life, I have a nice life. People tell me all the time, "Nice life, buddy".

L

Moves
03 Jul 07

I think Blood Sport would be a way better movie if they had to play chess between each round.

P-

[b]Edit!
Oh, and don't worry about me getting a life, I have a nice life. People tell me all the time, "Nice life, buddy".[/b]
lol

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
04 Jul 07

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
lol
I didn't say you didn't have a Nice life. I said "get a life", meaning; your thread is silly and why are you in such an uproar whether chess is called a sport or not. Call it what You want and screw everyone else....SPORYT!

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
04 Jul 07

P-

[b]Edit!
Oh, and don't worry about me getting a life, I have a nice life. People tell me all the time, "Nice life, buddy".[/b]
Above post meant for Sporty.

L

Moves
04 Jul 07

Originally posted by smw6869
I didn't say you didn't have a Nice life. I said "get a life", meaning; your thread is silly and why are you in such an uproar whether chess is called a sport or not. Call it what You want and screw everyone else....SPORYT!
no I am just wondering what people think!

S

Moves
04 Jul 07

I don't think it's a sport as such.
More a battle of wills & ideas.

m

Moves
05 Jul 07

I say no, what is your opion?
I don't think so : it is not a phyical activity it is mental.

L

Moves
05 Jul 07

Originally posted by musicismyworld
I agree

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Jul 07

Originally posted by musicismyworld
Your idea of sport is as wrong as your spelling of physical.

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Jul 07

I agree
You're wrong too.

L

Moves
06 Jul 07