Is chess considered a sport?

Is chess considered a sport?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
The word Sport is English, so I'm using the English definition.

P-
The word in English is French. See http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=sport

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
The word in English is French. See http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=sport
What does the etymology of this English word have to do with anything?

Just in case you are looking for the French definition, you posted it... and it matches my point.

P-

MS

Under Cover

Moves
28 Jun 07
1 edit

This is your standard archer's uniform:

http://tinyurl.com/2spchm

P-
I can't see his number...

EDIT: Not that I really want to

Read a book!

Moves
28 Jun 07

Is chess considered a sport? Not by everyone.. but obviously it is considered a legitimate sport by the International Olympic Committee and some members of RHP. It's a chicken/egg question.. too fuzzy for an unequivocal answer.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 Jun 07

What does the etymology of this English word have to do with anything?

Just in case you are looking for the French definition, you posted it... and it matches my point.

P-
Every time this argument comes up, most posters eschew thought and argument in favor of a quick dictionary reference. Definitions change; etymology tracks those changes. If you are unprepared to discuss the word's history, then you are a fool to discuss the dictionary.

Speak of chess as sport, and the dictionary will reflect that usage. Sport to the Greeks was physical struggle, but for the French, idle amusements suffice. All this talk of dictionaries proves only that Greek ideas are stronger in our culture than French.

L

Moves
29 Jun 07

Every time this argument comes up, most posters eschew thought and argument in favor of a quick dictionary reference. Definitions change; etymology tracks those changes. If you are unprepared to discuss the word's history, then you are a fool to discuss the dictionary.

Speak of chess as sport, and the dictionary will reflect that usage. Sport to the Greek ...[text shortened]... this talk of dictionaries proves only that Greek ideas are stronger in our culture than French.
I did not mean the dictionary I meant your defition

R
The Rams

Moves
29 Jun 07
1 edit

Why is it so hard for people to look the word "Sport" up and read the definition?

Why is it so hard to discern Athletics from Sports?

P-
Watch your tongue, Phlabibit! Don't refer to me as "people!" 😠

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Jun 07
1 edit

Speak of chess as sport, and the dictionary will reflect that usage. Sport to the Greek ...[text shortened]... this talk of dictionaries proves only that Greek ideas are stronger in our culture than French.
Sport and athletics are the same word in Greek, that is fine. In English, we have sports, and athletics. When the Bible was translated from Aramaic to Greek, the Greek did not have a word for 'several' so they threw the word 40 in there... figuring 40 was a lot. That is why 40 shows up in the Bible so often.

I've also pointed out that you can find chess in several sports sections here in the US news papers.

Sport is a well defined word, and I'm sticking to the definitions. If someone wants to ask "Is chess an athletic sport?" I will surely say no. The question remains, "Is chess a sport?" and the answer is clearly yes by the English definition.

Etymology holds no water in this discussion, since the word sport is clearly defined in English as a pass-time as well as athletic activity.

P-

L

Moves
29 Jun 07

Sport and athletics are the same word in Greek, that is fine. In English, we have sports, and athletics. When the Bible was translated from Aramaic to Greek, the Greek did not have a word for 'several' so they threw the word 40 in there... figuring 40 was a lot. That is why 40 shows up in the Bible so often.

I've also pointed out that you can find c ...[text shortened]... d sport is clearly defined in English as a pass-time as well as athletic activity.

P-
guys cant we have a peaceful debate

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
Can you please learn to read without putting imaginary emotions into a written text?

P-

a

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
Does it really matter what chess is called?
...as cliche' goes... "it is what it is".
For some , such as myself ...its a hobby. For many, who are quite serious, it would certainly be considered a sport, despite the definition of "sport". I recall reading a newspaper article, some years ago, of a 2000+ chess player, who happen to run marathons too. He stated there was no comparison between the two activities, a serious chess game for him was much more exhausting.

Best Regards

STS

Moves
29 Jun 07
1 edit

I believe motorboat racing was an olympic event for a couple of Olympiads, circa 1920 or so. Why not chess? But the games should be kept to game/60 minutes per player. Actually, game/60 makes sense for all but the biggest tournaments and matches. Two hours per game is a lot of time.
Any fans of olympic trivia out there that have any input on some of the other weird events? Indian Clubs was once an event, as well as synchronized swimming teams.The Chinese flag twirling is pretty odd, too.
How about DODGEBALL !!!

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by alurap
For some , such as myself ...its a hobby. For many, who are quite serious, it would certainly be considered a sport, despite the definition of "sport". I recall reading a newspaper article, some years ago, of a 2000+ chess player, who happen to run marathons too. He sta ...[text shortened]... the two activities, a serious chess game for him was much more exhausting.

Best Regards
This question comes up quite often, and I find it funny some people's definition of sport.

"if you don't have a uniform, it's not a sport"
"if you don't sweat, it's not a sport"
"if you don't make contact, it's not a sport"

None of these things are in the definition of sports, but people feel the need to define 'sports' as some sort of physical thing, when that is clearly the word 'athletics'.

When someone wants to say, "well, by MY definition of sport, chess is not a sport" they are clearly wrong, considering the word is clearly defined. They just don't understand, or don't want to understand what the word sport means.

As for your quote, I've read that someplace. I've had some chess games give me major 'brain burn'... and playing blitz OTB or online has left my heart racing, and my hands shaking.

P-

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 Jun 07

Can you please learn to read without putting imaginary emotions into a written text?

P-
Amen

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by alurap
For some , such as myself ...its a hobby. For many, who are quite serious, it would certainly be considered a sport, despite the definition of "sport". I recall reading a newspaper article, some years ago, of a 2000+ chess player, who happen to run marathons too. He sta ...[text shortened]... the two activities, a serious chess game for him was much more exhausting.

Best Regards
I'm starting to remember this quote. I believe I read it at Chessbase.com. I believe it was a VERY strong player who said his working out really helped him concentrate through a game, and other chess players began to try and work out a bit more seeing how strong mentally he was through a long exhausting game.

I think he also had crazy memory skills, so it wasn't like he could turn anyone into a master chess player through exercise alone, he had in inherent ability most people do not have.

P-