Is chess considered a sport?

Is chess considered a sport?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by Regicidal
A sport requires physical activity or exertion according to the dictionary definition. Hence, chess is not a sport. But people tend to stretch the definition by finding creative excuses for including physical exertion in the act of sitting and thinking for hours, lol.
At least in Nascar, the driver has to shift gears at precise times and turn the wheel. That's a bit more physical than pushing wood!
Please name your dictionary.

P-

MS

Under Cover

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
From Webster, definition one.

Main Entry: 1sport
Pronunciation: 'sport
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, to divert, disport, short for disporten
intransitive verb
1 a : to amuse oneself
Unless I am missing something( which wouldn't surprise me), I think the original question requires a definition of sport as a noun.

R

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by BLReid
From dictionary.com (first three lines of the definition taken):

sport
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime ...[text shortened]... 1., so also not 2. Arguably fits 3., but almost anything fun would. Not a very good definition.
Indeed. It's the politically correct policy of inclusion at work in these lame dictionary adjuncts. Isn't it curious that you never find #3 listed as #1?

R

Moves
28 Jun 07

Please name your dictionary.

P-
MSN encarta
1. competitive physical activity: an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally ( often used in the plural )

2. pastime: an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise

3. somebody cheerful: somebody who remains cheerful when losing or in an unpleasant situation ( informal )

etc

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jun 07

Indeed. It's the politically correct policy of inclusion at work in these lame dictionary adjuncts. Isn't it curious that you never find #3 listed as #1?
Does that make it less a definition of the word? Should we only stick to #1 when reading any given dictionary?

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jun 07

MSN encarta
1. competitive physical activity: an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally ( often used in the plural )

2. pastime: an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise

3. somebody cheerful: somebody who remains cheerful when losing or in an unpleasant situation ( informal )

etc
So, by definition 2 chess is sport.

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jun 07

As a side note, I believe many news papers have chess in the sports section. New York times is one I believe, some good little quizzes sometimes.

P-

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
28 Jun 07

Why is it so hard for people to look the word "Sport" up and read the definition?

Why is it so hard to discern Athletics from Sports?

P-
different languages have different words for sport, none of which fully correspond to each other. hence our understanding of the word 'sport' differs as well. in finnish for example, the corresponding word 'urheilu' means something like 'braving' or 'brave about', which has much more to do with hunting, doing foolhardy stunts etc. than it has with training, excercising or athletics. basically, it's about fighting against odds without fear. for me, that fits chess pretty well, but has nothing to do with athletics.

I think kasparov had somewhat similar opinion on the issue, but I don't feel like looking it up right now. it was somewhere in "kasparov teaches chess."

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by wormwood
different languages have different words for sport, none of which fully correspond to each other. hence our understanding of the word 'sport' differs as well. in finnish for example, the corresponding word 'urheilu' means something like 'braving' or 'brave about', which has much more to do with hunting, doing foolhardy stunts etc. than it has with training, ...[text shortened]... n't feel like looking it up right now. it was somewhere in "kasparov teaches chess."
I know he said something like: "Chess is the most violent sport"

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by wormwood
different languages have different words for sport, none of which fully correspond to each other. hence our understanding of the word 'sport' differs as well. in finnish for example, the corresponding word 'urheilu' means something like 'braving' or 'brave about', which has much more to do with hunting, doing foolhardy stunts etc. than it has with training, ...[text shortened]... n't feel like looking it up right now. it was somewhere in "kasparov teaches chess."
The word Sport is English, so I'm using the English definition.

P-

m

Moves
28 Jun 07

Chess a sport?! HAR! HAR! HAR! You’re killing me! You have to wear a uniform for it to be a sport.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by masscat
Chess a sport?! HAR! HAR! HAR! You’re killing me! You have to wear a uniform for it to be a sport.
Do you often make up definitions of words that have been used for hundreds of years?

P-

MS

Under Cover

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by masscat
What is the uniform for bowling? Tennis? Marksmanship? Archery? Fishing? Skydiving? Downhill skiing? etc....

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by BLReid
What is the uniform for bowling? Tennis? Marksmanship? Archery? Fishing? Skydiving? Downhill skiing? etc....
This is your standard archer's uniform:

http://tinyurl.com/2spchm

P-

R

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
That makes sex a sport.

I knew I was a supurb Sportsman. An Olympic gold beckons.
Ha Ha, careful. In sport there is a winner and a loser, so if you win that means ....