1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 07:10
    I was an active OTB and Corrispondence player from 1980 to about 1996. My peak rating was 1760 (USCF). Since about 2000 however my interest in chess, as well as my skills, have been on the decline. Chess seems to me to be the perfect hobby. It's inexpensive, portable, and has endless possibilities. I wonder...is there any way one can rekindle the passion one used to feel for chess? I've takes several vacations from chess over the last few years, thinking I was just a bit burnt out, but have been unable to sustain my interest for very long. Any ideas?.... 😕
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 08:45
    weed+chess
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 08:47
    Originally posted by bill718
    I was an active OTB and Corrispondence player from 1980 to about 1996. My peak rating was 1760 (USCF). Since about 2000 however my interest in chess, as well as my skills, have been on the decline. Chess seems to me to be the perfect hobby. It's inexpensive, portable, and has endless possibilities. I wonder...is there any way one can rekindle the passion one ...[text shortened]... a bit burnt out, but have been unable to sustain my interest for very long. Any ideas?.... 😕
    Your stats graph reminds me of a gf I'd rather forget.
  4. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 10:48
    I was an active OTB and Corrispondence player from 1980 to about 1996. .... I wonder...is there any way one can rekindle the passion one used to feel for chess? I've takes several vacations from chess over the last few years, thinking I was just a bit burnt out, but have been unable to sustain my interest for very long. Any ideas?.... 😕
    I would like very much to take your inquiry seriously, and shall try to give a helpful reply....

"Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." -- Siegbert Tarrasch --

If you have ever truly known the passion of chess that, like music, can bring joy to your heart, then you can only be burnt out a little, fatigued a little, frustrated a little.... you haven't really "fallen out of love", you're just a little weary for some reason. The very fact that you *want* to increase your passion again seems to be proof that this could well be the case.

So what to do about it? Well maybe it is as simple as that you just need a break, a vacation, a little time away, which you should take without qualm or pang of conscience. Athletes in physical sports do not train and compete all the time, and especially not with the same intensity all the time; why should we be any different?

In addition to genuine and guilt-free time off, you might also consider changing your routine, much as sprinters log some long miles and distance runners also do sprints. If all you do is play chess, how about doing some actual study? Or maybe change to a different style of play? Or play different openings for a while?

Keep in mind that no changes you make need be in the least bit permanent; you're not bound to them in any way. The idea is only to refresh your outlook and take a different point of view for a while, and who knows where that might lead. With any luck you will simply refresh your heart for the game, or you might be lucky as I was and discover a whole new and joyful approach to the game.

As another possibility, I would suggest with all sincerity that you look into XiangQi, which is Chinese chess. The similarities are such that you can start getting into the game within minutes, and your skill set will transfer, yet the differences are so profound that you will be quickly aground and have the fascination of learning a new game. And odd as it may seem, XiangQi seems to actually be a very fine training ground for western chess -- by and large, Chinese masters of XiangQi who come to western chess do FAR better in that game than do masters of western chess who try to move to XiangQi.

regards and best wishes that you find what you seek,
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 11:37
    I was an active OTB and Corrispondence player from 1980 to about 1996. My peak rating was 1760 (USCF). Since about 2000 however my interest in chess, as well as my skills, have been on the decline. Chess seems to me to be the perfect hobby. It's inexpensive, portable, and has endless possibilities. I wonder...is there any way one can rekindle the passion one ...[text shortened]... a bit burnt out, but have been unable to sustain my interest for very long. Any ideas?.... 😕
    I somehow doubt that even the best of RHP's agony aunts could bring much to the table that you have not considered for yourself over the last fifteen years. If chess is what you need to do for your own psychological or physiological welfare you will do it or find a suitable substitute. Otherwise it is probably best to wait until the Universe is ready for your return - though perhaps not in the Henrique Mecking sense 😛 - without worrying about it. If that is never, so be it and have a great life!
  6. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 12:08
    Some ideas... (I have taken breaks, and felt burnt out in the past as well)

* try some new openings, especially ones that are radically different than what you normally do. Try the grob, or fried liver attack.
    * try some new ways of study. If you normally read books, watch some videos on chess.com
    * start some sort of chess project - a blog, write an article for your state chess magazine, organize a tournament, etc
    * set some sort of goal - getting to 1800, playing in the world open this year, play against a GM in a simul (something on your chess "bucket list"😉
    * get in touch with some of your old chess buddies, invite them out to the chess club, or for a get together.
    * playing in real life to me is always more interesting than online
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 14:281 edit
    I was an active OTB and Corrispondence player from 1980 to about 1996. My peak rating was 1760 (USCF). Since about 2000 however my interest in chess, as well as my skills, have been on the decline. Chess seems to me to be the perfect hobby. It's inexpensive, portable, and has endless possibilities. I wonder...is there any way one can rekindle the passion one a bit burnt out, but have been unable to sustain my interest for very long. Any ideas?.... 😕
    count yourself lucky, your cured of 'chess fever', as the great Morhpy once stated.
    chess players should also have a hobby 😉
  8. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '11 17:09
    Try to think back to what inspired you in the first place, then attempt to replicate it.

Perhaps you enjoyed spending time with the person who taught you the game?
    Or enjoyed competing with a particular friend/relative?
    Maybe you were mesmerised by the first master games you saw?

It was probably a combination of many different experiences. Go back to those old feelings and Caissa will still be there, wondering where you'd been.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree