1. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 19:00
    Game 3806719

My opponent resigned, but I thought it was still a bit of a fight and that he had somce chances, particularly with the good bishop.
  2. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 19:06
    Originally posted by t0lkien
    Game 3806719

My opponent resigned, but I thought it was still a bit of a fight and that he had somce chances, particularly with the good bishop.
    I think black loses the e and g pawns.
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 19:07
    Game 3806719

That is a clear win. You must lose pawns.
    i.e.
    ...Kf8 (trying to hold g-pawn), Nxe6+, Kg8?, Rxg7+
  4. Standard member8D
    Fixer
    Detroit
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 19:56
    Originally posted by zebano
    That is a clear win. You must lose pawns.
    i.e.
    ...Kf8 (trying to hold g-pawn), Nxe6+, Kg8?, Rxg7+
    This mind set in chess just kills me.

Yes, if you are playing a computer or a GM and you make a blunder you are going to lose. But most of us on this site are average at best. Your opponent is also human and can and will make a return blunder. Just make it tough and wait.

Does it always happen?............No But it happens enough to justify not resigning so early.

Also, you can practice tactics in a losing effort. Every match is an opportunity to get better.

I found a neat trap of a rook with a Bishop and a pawn during and end game. If I would have quit I would have never found the move.
  5. Brasilia, Brazil
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 21:03
    Originally posted by 8D

Yes, if you are playing a computer or a GM and you make a blunder you are going to lose. But most of us on this site are average at best. Your opponent is also human and can and will make a return blunder. Just make it tough and wait.
    Plus you can always get stalemated... I usually resign if my opponent is two heavy pieces up, but K+R vs K or K+B+N vs K I will play to the last move.
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 22:181 edit
    Game 3806719

He is already a pawn down. He will lose at least 1 and probably 2 more (if not all 4 of them) so its hopeless. Resignation was appropriate.

Play on if you have counterplay and possible drawing chances. In this position black has neither.
  7. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 07:04
    Thanks for the replies. BTW I reread my original post and it may have sounded as if I was dissing my opponent. That is not what I meant. I was just surprised by the early resignation is all, and wanted to give better minds a look at the game.
  8. Under Cover
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 07:50
    Originally posted by rodrigonovaes
    Plus you can always get stalemated... I usually resign if my opponent is two heavy pieces up, but K+R vs K or K+B+N vs K I will play to the last move.
    You play K+R vs lone K to the last move? Then you either have no respect for your opponent or you don't understand how ridiculously simple it is to checkmate in such a situation. I'd be insulted if someone insisted on playing that out, and embarrased to not resign if facing such a position.
  9. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 08:17
    Originally posted by BLReid
    You play K+R vs lone K to the last move? Then you either have no respect for your opponent or you don't understand how ridiculously simple it is to checkmate in such a situation. I'd be insulted if someone insisted on playing that out, and embarrased to not resign if facing such a position.
    In a blitz finish situation I would play it every time because I have seen players mess it up so often but in a corr. situation: never!
  10. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 13:31
    People here play on 2 pieces and some pawns down,a queen down,rook and pawns down etc...All with zero compensation,mind you!
    Then why not play out the K vs K+R endgame,it's the same thing.
  11. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 14:11
    Originally posted by demonseed
    In a blitz finish situation I would play it every time because I have seen players mess it up so often but in a corr. situation: never!
    R+K vs. K takes on average about 20 to 25 seconds to mate, by a normal clubchess player during a normal blitz-game. My record was 20 moves in 9 seconds, mating with 1 second left. (yes I play LOTS of blitz games 😉)

So Demonseed is right, but there's also the good point that no one should resign too early. Always keep looking for ways out. If you don't see any, feel free to quit. If there's still some play left, keep on going. At my club people used to fear me because I was an expert in winning bad positions. Actually I wasn't at all good in winning bad positions, but they were good at screwing up good positions against agressive players 😀😀😀😀
  12. Standard member8D
    Fixer
    Detroit
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 14:17
    I am not saying play on when you are down like that. I actually have some Jack*ss doing that to me right now. I have R-K, he has K-P but I have the pawn dead to rights. He is just letting the time run down.

I am saying when you have so many pieces left. Why quit then? There are a lot of options and possible forks or discovered attacks still available to get you back in the game.

I will resign once it is obvious. I guess I just do not think it is obvious with that many pieces left.

I would prefer to see a forced mate before I resign. Or I have just been pummeled and there is nothing but death headed my way.
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 14:37
    Originally posted by 8D

Does it always happen?............No But it happens enough to justify not resigning s ...[text shortened]... a Bishop and a pawn during and end game. If I would have quit I would have never found the move.
    You simply don't play enough good players. At club I am one of the weakest three players, and I have a 1650 USCF rating. We play lots of blitz, and even in blitz, there is NO hope there. What counterplay is available?
  14. Standard member8D
    Fixer
    Detroit
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 14:55
    Originally posted by zebano
    You simply don't play enough good players. At club I am one of the weakest three players, and I have a 1650 USCF rating. We play lots of blitz, and even in blitz, there is NO hope there. What counterplay is available?
    I would agree that I have not played enough, or enough good players to see I have no chance. But I hope I never get there either.

For me a lot of the fun is the learning and the battles. The winning will come. I try not to focus on the winning and more on the play.

But I can see how one can get to that point. Sounds kind of boring.
  15. Brasilia, Brazil
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 18:22
    I do understand how to mate K+R vs. K. Yes, it's very simple. If my opponent is 1400+, of course I will resign immediately (probably even before that).

The thing is, I like banded tournaments. And just the other day, a player in the high-1200 range (which is where I would be, if I hadn't gotten so many timeouts), was asking here in this same forum IF that was a won or drawn position.

As I said, I will usually resign if playing K+Q vs K, which is RIDICULOUSLY easy. But I'm starting to reconsider even that. The last 2 times I decided to play it out, I got a DRAW (stalemate) and a WIN (by timeout of course).

I know playing lost positions to checkmate is bad sportsmanship, but hey instead of two losses, I got a draw and a win. Not bad at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree