1. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 20:09
    On occasion, I'll see a move that my opponent should have made but overlooked. Is it appropriate to tell them "Hey, you missed X opportunity."? Do I need to wait until the game is over to make such a remark?
  2. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 20:21
    I wondered the same thing and have been tempted to do likewise.

However, I'd wait for the end for a bunch of reasons. Firstly, though the immediate danger may have passed, you might give him ideas for the future. Secondly, if I missed a sweet move, and then you told me, I would look over my moves 2 or 3 extra times so it never happened again. Thirdly, if you told me a move I missed, I would probably want to beat you even more so I'd play extra hard. Fourth, I might think you were trying to be condescending or prickish.

So I'd say wait.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 20:27
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    On occasion, I'll see a move that my opponent should have made but overlooked. Is it appropriate to tell them "Hey, you missed X opportunity."? Do I need to wait until the game is over to make such a remark?
    It depends. Generally I agree with the remark above but if you are significantly better than your opponent, feel like giving helpful advice and are certain he won't be offended and will welcome the assistance by all means tell him, otherwise shut up.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 20:36
    I wouldn't like to have this kind of remarks during the game.
    I would rather have it after the game is finished.

But - if my opponent want this kind of coaching from me during the game, I would gladly give it to him once the critical situation is over.
  5. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 20:46
    This just happened in one of my games. My opponent missed my skewer of his Queen and Rook. After I took his rook, I asked him, "Why not f4 there?," (this would have blocked the Bishop) and he replied "Not thinking."

I hope that he didn't think I was being condescending, I was only trying to point out a better move; to be helpful as it were. I think I will refrain from this until the end of the game in the future though, since that seems to be the ethical thing in most cases.
  6. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 21:23
    Thanks for the replies. I still don't know where I stand on the subject.
  7. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 21:41
    My feelings would be similar to those I would have over the board. If it were a rated game I would not make comments as the game progressed but would be happy to discuss the moves after the game with my thoughts if my opponent wished. In an unrated (friendly) game I would be happy to offer such thoughts if invited to do so with my opponent as the game progressed but would not initiate such actions.
    (PS I am very new to the RHP correspondance chess so my views may well change!)
  8. Joined
    01 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 21:52
    Whoever is offended by advice won't get far in chess. I see no reason why you shouldn't make remarks like that, I'd like it if people did it for me.
  9. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 21:54
    Is it not considered discussing a game in progress?
  10. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 22:26
    Is it not considered discussing a game in progress?
    Two opponents discussing the game they are playing. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is a third party getting involved in the discussion. That might constitute outside assistance.

Personally, though, I'd rather discuss a game afterwards. But a few comments here or there is quite appropriate especially when the game takes a surprising turn.
  11. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 22:54
    I wouldn't mind getting a pointer or two if I was playing a higher rated opponent and the comment was something subtle or pertaining to long term strategy, but pointing out a mistake or a bad move really doesn't help when it was just a blunder. Like if you were like, Oh you shouldn't have moved into the fork, or Wow, you just missed trapping my queen.

Its a fine line between being a prick and being a helpful opponent.
  12. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 01:00
    Its not really advice though.. if a person misses something obvious, thats more than likely he/she is just moving too quickly or something, and i think more often than not your responses will be either short and quick like "oops", or "wasn't paying attention".. or rude.. i don't think you will get many thanks..
    I know my answers would be oops .. like most of my moves
  13. Maryland, US
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:27
    I probably wouldn't make any remark even after the game unless they asked me specifically what I thought. That's just a personal preference though. I'm not saying it's wrong to do it but I couldn't help but feel overly critical.
  14. Joined
    04 Mar '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:32
    See any i should have made dmneslon84?
  15. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:34
    No; just one on my part. 🙂 Good game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree