1. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:09
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    On occasion, I'll see a move that my opponent should have made but overlooked. Is it appropriate to tell them "Hey, you missed X opportunity."? Do I need to wait until the game is over to make such a remark?
    If my opponent makes a really bad or questionable move, I send them "???".
  2. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:51
    Originally posted by slappy115
    If my opponent makes a really bad or questionable move, I send them "???".
    i hate getting that, with the little 'captured queen' pic lol
  3. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:59
    Yeah, some much higher players give me pointers. If the lower rated player you are playing asks for advice and have already said, "Yeah, feel free to point out x mistake." then go for it. Otherwise you're just being a prick.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 06:19
    Originally posted by DoctorDara
    Yeah, some much higher players give me pointers. If the lower rated player you are playing asks for advice and have already said, "Yeah, feel free to point out x mistake." then go for it. Otherwise you're just being a prick.
    I don't think you should talk about moves during a game. Personally I don't think my rating would be high enough to give anyone pointers...I leave that to the experts, and higher. Even then , they will argue among themselves what was the better move...lol....
  5. Standard memberspud2048
    Rooney 8
    LA
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 08:17
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    I wondered the same thing and have been tempted to do likewise.

However, I'd wait for the end for a bunch of reasons. Firstly, though the immediate danger may have passed, you might give him ideas for the future. Secondly, if I missed a sweet move, and then you told me, I would look over my moves 2 or 3 extra times so it never happened again. Thirdl ...[text shortened]... Fourth, I might think you were trying to be condescending or prickish.

So I'd say wait.
    And Five, its possible you may end up looking like a fool because what you thought was a mistake turns out to be a Greek Gift!
  6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 10:511 edit
    Id never point out a missed move in a correspondence game no more than I would point it out OTB. Analysis after the game is fine but during the game while its still in progress any comment or analysis could swing the game, maybe they didnt noticed they missed a winning move and after you pointed it out feel more depressed etc about that game from there on.
  7. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 11:18
    Originally posted by spud2048
    And Five, its possible you may end up looking like a fool because what you thought was a mistake turns out to be a Greek Gift!
    Yeah, or you are just plain wrong and a line you thought was inevitable was actually just a chimera. And then you look like a self-absorbed idiot.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 11:23
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Id never point out a missed move in a correspondence game no more than I would point it out OTB. Analysis after the game is fine but during the game while its still in progress any comment or analysis could swing the game, maybe they didnt noticed they missed a winning move and after you pointed it out feel more depressed etc about that game from there on.
    I once missed a move and my opponent did also.

Thankful I PM'd him. I can't believe we both missed X, Y & Z and made my move, where upon he did X, Y & Z and my "won" game became exceedingly more difficult.
  9. Big D
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 14:17
    Pointing out your opponent's weak play during anything other than a skittles game would be considered highly inappropriate. After the game, though, feel free to point out the shortcomings in your opponent's play.
  10. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 14:21
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    [....] Analysis after the game is fine but during the game while its still in progress any comment or analysis could swing the game, maybe they didnt noticed they missed a winning move and after you pointed it out feel more depressed etc about that game from there on.
    Thats right

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree